Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about 11-speed

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thinking about 11-speed

Old 10-11-19, 05:10 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thinking about 11-speed

This kind of thread will be almost a decade out of date for early adopters, but it seems like the second-hand market for 11-speed groupsets is starting to look really attractive to people like me who only ever buy used. Lately I've been seeing some really terrific Chorus groupsets from the early 2010s for very decent prices, and I'm feeling sorely tempted.

For most of this decade I've been a faithful user of Record 10-speed stuff from the previous decade. Is it time to move on? I'm not a vintage guy, so I don't care about how "cool" my almost twenty-year-old Record shifters are (don't mind the compliments though!), I just like high-end components without the high-end pricing.

On the Chain Reaction site I see that a Super Record EPS groupset costs over $6,000. A Super Record mechanical groupset is over $4,200. Regular Record is $2,100 (all prices in Canadian loonies).

And non-carbon Centaur is $600, but for that price I could get a six or seven-year-old carbon Chorus groupset.

What should I do? Is it worth staying with the times (sort of), or is there absolutely no reason whatsoever to give up 10-speed?
Old 10-11-19, 05:50 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Wait until the 12 speed regular Record comes down in price. Skip the 11 completely. They redesigned the crank on the 12 speed and looks so so much better. Your 10 speed with square taper cranks is still tits. Just drop in a medium cage rear mech and go with a 13/29 cassette, and your right there with the 11. I see the 11 being a forgotten soul in the near future. The only thing I like about the 11 is the skeleton brakes, and they did away with that at the 12.

......13/29 with medium cage rear mech.....

Last edited by Ninetimes; 10-11-19 at 05:59 PM. Reason: ...
Old 10-11-19, 06:42 PM
rousseau

Interesting take. I know what you mean about the 4-spoke crank, I'm not a huge fan of them aesthetically. I've got a bit of a Frankenstein group on my bike, though: not square taper anymore, I use a Chorus Ultra-Torque crank from about 2007 or so.

Speaking of aesthetics, I'm not really a huge fan of the "Gumby" shifters, to be honest. I like how the 2nd generation Record shifters look and feel.
Old 10-11-19, 07:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
With both 10 and 11 speed..inter-compatibility is a nightmare....so long as you buy a groupset, at least you can wager everything will play nice together.

With differing cable pulls on differing groups every year...and compatibility no one can remember and Campagnolo doesn't publish publicly in a monolithic resource....they took to stamping letters "A" for example to denote parts that will work together, but only starting in 2015.
Old 10-11-19, 07:09 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 07:16 PM
rousseau

This does worry me, I have to say. I like mixing and matching components, upgrading on a whim. I more or less know my stuff when it comes to the 2000s, but post-2010 components are mostly a mystery to me aside from Ultra-Torque cranksets.

I guess part of my motivation for thinking about this and posting this thread is that I'm afraid of being left behind. I feel like I've let myself get too far behind the learning curve. I don't want to turn into one of those bearded old geezers with the vintage bike and components yelling "get off my lawn!"

Old 10-11-19, 08:03 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I went from 6-speed Triomphe, to 8-speed Chorus, to 10-speed Record, to 11-speed Super Record, to 11 Speed Super Record EPS. I have no inclination to go to 12-speed, and 13 will probably be released before I make the next move. Don't worry about being left behind, just upgrade when you HAVE to. And when you have to, move all the way to the newest group. Unfortunately, no Campy shifters after 10 speed are easily repaired as in the past.
Old 10-11-19, 09:39 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by pickettt
I went from 6-speed Triomphe, to 8-speed Chorus, to 10-speed Record, to 11-speed Super Record, to 11 Speed Super Record EPS. I have no inclination to go to 12-speed, and 13 will probably be released before I make the next move. Don't worry about being left behind, just upgrade when you HAVE to. And when you have to, move all the way to the newest group.
I'm never going to spend $4,000+ on a groupset. Everything I've every ridden and most of my kit have been used, save for semi-annual drivetrain refreshing (chain and cassette, cables and housings, tires, bar tape).

Originally Posted by pickettt
Unfortunately, no Campy shifters after 10 speed are easily repaired as in the past.
This bothers me, I'll admit it. I've gotten quite handy at replacing those G-springs in the 10-speed shifters.
Old 10-11-19, 09:45 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau

What should I do? Is it worth staying with the times (sort of), or is there absolutely no reason whatsoever to give up 10-speed?
Record 10 is about the sweetest shifting mechanical groupset I've used. Chorus is the same, without the weight-saving titanium giblets.

Best thing about Campy 10-speed is that the 13-29 cassettes are still widely available. The 11-speed cassettes feature useless 11 and 12 tooth cogs, providing even fewer useful gears than 10-speed.

Campagnolo Ultra shifters are infinitely rebuildable; ever few years replace the G-springs, the spring carrier and the hoods. Replace the cables and housings as well on a regular basis. Once serviced, these shifters are effectively new.
Old 10-11-19, 10:10 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I have 4 bikes built with 10 Speed Record and Chorus. A couple of them are pretty recent. I have no issue finding NOS or close to NOS parts at a very reasonable prices. You just have to put in the time and effort. And I’ve built a pretty good stock of spares to boot. An example, just bought a ‘new-2019’ 10 speed medium cage Record rear derailleur with the CF cage out of Europe for 200 bucks to my door. Also recently bought a not to good medium cage Chorus rear derailleur, where the silver cage was in perfect shape, for cheap. Swapped that silver cage out with another medium cage Record rear derailleur with the CF cage, and ended up with something that’s actually hard to get. At some point, these parts will get scarce and very expensive, but were not there yet, but its real close. I’m way past the point where I’d be racing or the like, and just have no fear. My 10 speeds are pretty much outrageous, and you can’t miss my colorful bikes in the sea or black and grey carbon. I’m just having a heck of a lot fun...!
Old 10-12-19, 01:10 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
I think I was looking at $800 for the upgrade. Already got 11 sp cranks and front derailleur.
Ergos and RD and cassette were in my watch list. Decided to wait even though I like the Gumbys (also running 10sp Centaur).
Unless you really need that extra gear, I'd pass, and wait for 12.
For where/how I ride now, as long as I got 15, 16, 17 in back I'm okay. Running a 13-29 now (used to be 12-26).
Instead of going to 11 I upgraded wheels instead.

11-12 speed actually makes more sense on my 1x.
Old 10-12-19, 06:46 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Best thing about Campy 10-speed is that the 13-29 cassettes are still widely available. The 11-speed cassettes feature useless 11 and 12 tooth cogs, providing even fewer useful gears than 10-speed.
What you say about the cog size is true but one nice thing about 11 speed is it's compatible between groups. In my household with a riding wife and multiple bikes and groupsets, being able to swap wheels is handy.

Old 10-12-19, 02:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
You can buy a chorus 12 group from pink jersey for $1060. I have two of those groups. I got the new 48/32 sub compact crank which makes the 11T useable and opted for the 11-34 cassette, since I ride steep hills and mountains.

The cassette fits on any hub that accepts 9-11 speed Campy. The shifting is the best ever and I've been a Campy only guy since the early days of 9 speed.

Do watch the campy video because the FD sets up differently than most. Chain length is best set with the little/little method. On the same bikes, I needed an extra inch of chain, compared to my previous 50/34 with 12-32 cassette.
Old 10-15-19, 01:33 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You can buy a chorus 12 group from pink jersey for $1060. I have two of those groups. I got the new 48/32 sub compact crank which makes the 11T useable and opted for the 11-34 cassette, since I ride steep hills and mountains.

The cassette fits on any hub that accepts 9-11 speed Campy. The shifting is the best ever and I've been a Campy only guy since the early days of 9 speed.

Do watch the campy video because the FD sets up differently than most. Chain length is best set with the little/little method. On the same bikes, I needed an extra inch of chain, compared to my previous 50/34 with 12-32 cassette.
Don't forget that the OP lives in Canada, home of the 75 cent Canadian dollar along with high shipping costs from the US along with import duties. The OP would probably be paying about $2000 CDN
Old 10-15-19, 02:35 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Don't forget that the OP lives in Canada, home of the 75 cent Canadian dollar along with high shipping costs from the US along with import duties. The OP would probably be paying about $2000 CDN
Glad I don't live in Canada. All things are relative and Chorus 12 is generally priced lower than Chorus 11, regardless of where you buy it. It's also about half the price of the new SRAM Force 12.

I have no idea how Canadian wages compare the wages in the USA. If they aren't quite a bit higher, I'm even more glad I don't live there.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 10-16-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 01:40 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by alcjphil
More like $1,500. But why would you buy from anywhere other than the UK online shops anyway? They have the best selection and pricing. I'm particularly enamoured with Chain Reaction at the moment. The stuff gets here in two days. Pretty amazing.

In any case, I pulled the trigger on a 2011-14 Chorus groupset for $500 (US$378). I couldn't pass up on a deal like that.

Today is "bike head" day. Nothing I like more than replacing a whole set of components on a frame.
Old 10-16-19, 03:48 PM
DaveSSS 

Chain reaction unloaded a bunch of old leftovers on you, but at least it's good stuff that will last.

Chain reaction has higher prices for many of the 2019 and 2020 group sets, than other sites, like Merlin.

They want $1233 for a 2020 chorus 12 group. I got mine 2 months ago for $1060. I think you can find lower prices than that now, but not 2 months ago, when most Euro sources had no complete groups to sell.
Old 10-16-19, 09:00 PM
rousseau

Chain reaction unloaded a bunch of old leftovers on you...
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't buy the Chorus groupset via Chain Reaction, I bought it used from another cyclist via PinkBike.

And I gotta say, I'm glad I did. The switch from the 2004-06 Record 10-speed I'd been using to the 2011-14 Chorus 11-speed has been a revelation. The shifting really is a lot crisper. I don't know the specifics of what Campy did for 2009 when they introduced the third generation and went to 11 speeds, but I'm totally floored by how much better it is.
Old 10-17-19, 06:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Keep in mind that 2009-2014 shifters and derailleurs are not compatible with newer 11 speed parts. The shifters pull less cable. If you ever have to use a newer RD, there is a trick that improves the performance. Grind down the threads on the cable clamp bolt to the root, in the area where the cable contacts the bolt. This shortens the lever arm length and increases the RD travel.

I had one bike with old 11 speed and one with new 11 speed, but the new Chorus 12 is better than either one. The new shift cables would improve the shifting on 11 speed, but they are pricey.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 10-17-19, 02:53 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 606 Posts
I'm still running Campy 10, since I have 4 bikes and everything is compatible.
I briefly considered upgrading my "good" bike....but ... Not really sure what I would do with 1 or 2 more cogs, so have not felt the need to upgrade.

I use 53 x 39 and 12 - 25 so I don't have glaring gaps in gearing.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-17-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 02:55 PM
rousseau

Keep in mind that 2009-2014 shifters and derailleurs are not compatible with newer 11 speed parts. The shifters pull less cable. If you ever have to use a newer RD, there is a trick that improves the performance. Grind down the threads on the cable clamp bolt to the root, in the area where the cable contacts the bolt. This shortens the lever arm length and increases the RD travel.
Thanks for the tip, though I'm having trouble comprehending it. Got any visuals?
Old 10-18-19, 01:46 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Thanks for the tip, though I'm having trouble comprehending it. Got any visuals?
I think what he's saying is that the cable goes around the screw, touching the threads. If you grind down the threads that the cable touches (and not needed) then you reduce the diameter of the screw, thus altering the cable-derailleur actuation.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-18-19, 08:14 PM
rousseau

Okay, I see. Sounds like a risky operation. I think I'll stick to component era consistency and avoid combining 2009-2014 parts with 2015- parts.

Speaking of the 11-speed Chorus group I just got, it shifted like a dream on the workstand, but on the trainer the upshifting on the middle cogs is actually delayed a bit, which is something I've never encountered before. Normally a fresh derailleur install results in having to tighten the gear cable to get the downshifting going properly, so I always make sure to have the cable stops and barrel adjuster screwed all the way down to allow for ample cable tightening, but now it looks like I might have to dismount the cable on the rear derailleur and back the barrel adjuster off so there's room to loosen the cable.

Wild.
Old 10-19-19, 12:03 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
I went back to using Campy and have been running a hybrid of a drivetrain since pulling the Etap off my Storck. Once I dialed it in, I didn’t have any issues and it shifted flawlessly; almost 1500 miles since going back to Campy.
2015+ Record 11 derallieurs
2014 Record 11 shifters
KMC DLC X11 chain
Quarq Dzero w/ Praxis chainrings
SunRace CSRX 11-28 black cassette

I just recently pulled off the Quarq for my next N+1and replaced it with a Praxis Carbon Zayante. A very small adjustment on the FD outer limit screw and all good.
Old 10-19-19, 02:23 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
All you need to know:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.