Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Strava Bluetooth Sensors no longer supported

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Strava Bluetooth Sensors no longer supported

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 09:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
According to them they were having reliability problems.

My guess is that the number of people using Strava directly to record was sufficiently low that they didn't want to bother fixing any issues. Most cyclists use a computer of some type. Don't know about runners - I'd guess it's a few more who use the phone, but still.
My guess is that at least half of the Strava uses are using a phone app.

Also keep in mind that many of the Garmin devices are set to record every 5 seconds or so, and thus are less accurate for comparing rides on fixed segments.

But, it may be a point that fewer users are actually using the phone + a bunch of external sensors.

I wonder if the issue is as much hacking (or perceived hacking risk). Figure out a way to hack your sensor to show twice the power, or half the heart rate?
Old 10-17-19, 09:25 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I wonder if the issue is as much hacking (or perceived hacking risk). Figure out a way to hack your sensor to show twice the power, or half the heart rate?
That's easier to do if you're uploading a gpx file (or similar) recorded in another app.

If Strava cared about fabricated results on segments they'd use some pretty basic algorithms to flag suspicious results. As it is now they don't even bother to detect obvious recordings that are (partially) in a car (e.g., rider averages 15-16mph for 1 hour, then all of a sudden hits 40mph for 30 minutes, in bursts, while HR is low).
Old 10-17-19, 10:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My guess is that at least half of the Strava uses are using a phone app.

Also keep in mind that many of the Garmin devices are set to record every 5 seconds or so, and thus are less accurate for comparing rides on fixed segments.

But, it may be a point that fewer users are actually using the phone + a bunch of external sensors.

It's not even possible to set a Garmin to record a point every 5 seconds.
Old 10-17-19, 10:53 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's not even possible to set a Garmin to record a point every 5 seconds.
Somehow, the segments that show a faster average speed than maximum speed are usually done on Garmins.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12973075
https://www.strava.com/activities/258703543#16784982100

Rider X, "KOM"

Average speed, 34.2 MPH
Maximum speed, 34.0 MPH

Device: Garmin Edge 200

Now, go to the Analysis page, and look at the estimated power. A point is marked about every 5 seconds.

The problem is that the beginning and end points become extremely inaccurate.

The average speed for the segment on the Analysis page is listed as 32.6, and would put the rider at least at #2 , and very close to dropping down to #4 . Note, that KOM was captured JRA, but speeds naturally increase at the beginning and drop at the end due to terrain, so adding the missing points would significantly change the time/speed.

Here is a test of riding around in circles on a track with an older Garmin.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/gp...dedicated-gps/

Note the Garmin is inevitably cutting the corners.

Now, it could be possible that due to complaints, Garmin has chosen to use more data points on their newer devices.
Old 10-17-19, 11:08 AM
CliffordK

That's easier to do if you're uploading a gpx file (or similar) recorded in another app.

If Strava cared about fabricated results on segments they'd use some pretty basic algorithms to flag suspicious results. As it is now they don't even bother to detect obvious recordings that are (partially) in a car (e.g., rider averages 15-16mph for 1 hour, then all of a sudden hits 40mph for 30 minutes, in bursts, while HR is low).
Sometimes it can be tough to discern with certainty if a person is on a bus or car. But, another feature I've noticed is the uniformity of speed. Without a power meter, if you look at estimated power, it usually is a very jagged line.

In a car, it is usually a flat line.

My interpretation is that every pedal stroke involves a micro acceleration/deceleration. And, recording points is accurate enough to pick up that variability. Presumably some riders are worse than others with that, but the change in acceleration pattern is often a sign of riding in a vehicle.

Sometimes it can be a tough call if a person simply drives a mile or so in a car which happens to pick up a segment. Were they cruising, then sprinting?
Old 10-17-19, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Now, go to the Analysis page, and look at the estimated power. A point is marked about every 5 seconds.
I don't doubt that Strava's software estimates power every 5 seconds, but, again, it's not possible to set a Garmin to record a point every 5 seconds. Go play with one, go into the recording interval menu, and see for yourself.

Edit to add: Anyway, this is way off topic. The thread isn't about segments and play racing, it's about using BT sensors. Let's not clutter it, people are looking for information.
Old 10-17-19, 12:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
This sucks. Strava's message (copied in full below so everybody has the facts), implies that there are other apps one can use to record the sensor data on your phone. Quoting "But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. " However, I can find no such information on the linked page, which is about other devices (e.g., watches) that can be used. Are there actually any phone apps that can be used and that can then be uploaded to Strava?

Full text of their email, received yesterday:

Dear (Minnman),
When you record a workout on Strava, it’s our job to make sure your effort is captured accurately and reliably. We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing Strava to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

If you record activities using a GPS watch or bike computer, this change will not affect you at all. But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. We know that even small changes in your routine or equipment can make a big difference, so we appreciate your understanding.

And if you’re feeling ready to try recording on a watch instead of your phone, our friends at Polar are generously offering 20% off their Polar Vantage line until the end of October 2019, exclusively for Strava athletes who have used direct pairing in the past.* Take a look at their lineup and use this personal, one-time use code at checkout: STR-PMNT-CE2M-TP5N

Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time.

The Strava Team
Old 10-17-19, 12:24 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

(This seems very off topic for this thread, but would make a good discussion on a stand-alone thread)

I do wonder about this, but I've seen similar strange behavior from friends using Wahoo devices, i.e., for short segments they can get super-fast average speeds (and above their maximum speeds) and KOMs,

If anybody has suggestions about how to toggle headset settings to be more accurate, that would be cool. I generally use a Garmin 520 (though I also use my phone and Strava as a backup, which is why I'm on this thread to begin with).

Somehow, the segments that show a faster average speed than maximum speed are usually done on Garmins.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12973075
https://www.strava.com/activities/258703543#16784982100

Rider X, "KOM"

Average speed, 34.2 MPH
Maximum speed, 34.0 MPH

Device: Garmin Edge 200

The problem is that the beginning and end points become extremely inaccurate.

The average speed for the segment on the Analysis page is listed as 32.6, and would put the rider at least at #2 , and very close to dropping down to #4 . Note, that KOM was captured JRA, but speeds naturally increase at the beginning and drop at the end due to terrain, so adding the missing points would significantly change the time/speed.

Here is a test of riding around in circles on a track with an older Garmin.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/gp...dedicated-gps/

Note the Garmin is inevitably cutting the corners.

Now, it could be possible that due to complaints, Garmin has chosen to use more data points on their newer devices.
Old 10-17-19, 12:33 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by MinnMan
We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing [/color]Strava[color=#1a1a1a] to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

I've found Strava to have become much more stable over the last year or so than in the past.

I still occasionally get "recovery" messages, but often because I had either accidentally had a button pushed, battery failure (or loose), or even intentionally turned the phone off to conserve power when not in use.

Did Strava deem the crashing is due to simply allowing the functionality, or actually using the added functionality?

If it only crashes with things like HRMs and power meters ,then their conclusion that crashes are affecting millions who don't use the sensors is incorrect.

If it is simply allowing the interface (even if not in use), then Strava & Google/Android needs to come up with a fix.

Poor programming and user support?
Old 10-17-19, 12:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by MinnMan
This sucks. Strava's message (copied in full below so everybody has the facts), implies that there are other apps one can use to record the sensor data on your phone. Quoting "But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. " However, I can find no such information on the linked page, which is about other devices (e.g., watches) that can be used. Are there actually any phone apps that can be used and that can then be uploaded to Strava?

Full text of their email, received yesterday:

Dear (Minnman),
When you record a workout on Strava, it’s our job to make sure your effort is captured accurately and reliably. We recently discovered that pairing Bluetooth heart rate monitors and power meters directly with the app is causing Strava to crash for millions of athletes — most of whom don’t even use these kinds of sensors. So to significantly improve the stability of the app, we’ll no longer support direct Bluetooth and ANT+ device pairing as of October 28th, 2019.

If you record activities using a GPS watch or bike computer, this change will not affect you at all. But if you want to record activities using your phone and capture sensor data, you’ll have to record with one of the many apps that upload to Strava. Here are some tips to get you started. We know that even small changes in your routine or equipment can make a big difference, so we appreciate your understanding.

And if you’re feeling ready to try recording on a watch instead of your phone, our friends at Polar are generously offering 20% off their Polar Vantage line until the end of October 2019, exclusively for Strava athletes who have used direct pairing in the past.* Take a look at their lineup and use this personal, one-time use code at checkout: STR-PMNT-CE2M-TP5N

Here’s to your efforts making it into the books. Every time.

The Strava Team
Will it sounds like they got an affiliate deal with Polar.

The red part doesn't make any sense. They've discovered today heart rate monitors are causing there app to crash for people who aren't using them??
Old 10-17-19, 12:52 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Lying to customers is a good reason to not do business with them anymore.
Old 10-17-19, 04:43 PM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Where did you read this? I don't use the phone app but just tried it and it didn't have any problem pairing with a BT HR monitor. It's not going to work with ANT+ sensors unless your phone happens to support ANT+ which is rare.
Strava has a post on their blog about it. Here is something they also posted to their support forum. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...ava-Mobile-App
Old 10-17-19, 06:50 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by kshepherd
Strava has a post on their blog about it. Here is something they also posted to their support forum. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...ava-Mobile-App
Well if you signed up for Summit based on recording HR I would ask for a refund. I suspect they wouldn't hesitate to provide a refund. If they don't you could force a chargeback from your CC company.
Old 10-17-19, 06:53 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The red part doesn't make any sense. They've discovered today heart rate monitors are causing there app to crash for people who aren't using them??
My guess is they don't have anyone to work on the problem. Their recommended solution is to use the Wahoo fitness app for recording. Presumably Wahoo doesn't crash for millions of users.
Old 10-17-19, 07:10 PM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah who knows. I just ended up buying a Wahoo Element Bolt, and I've been super happy with that decision. Don't need my phone and can use my cadence sensors, hooking into Di2 was also cool. The only bummer is I have to get a separate heart sensor instead of it just reading from my watch.
Old 10-18-19, 05:16 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Use another app, don't use Strava at all to record. Save the file when you're done, and upload it to Strava.
Yes.And if you use a wahoo, garmin or similar computer, you can set it to automatically upload to your strava account and other sites (I use ridewithgps) at the end of your ride. The only time I use Strava app while actually riding is if I forget to charge my computer.
Likes For DOS:
Old 10-19-19, 08:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noisebeam
I use iPhone for all activities, cycling, running, hiking, etc. I doubt their reliability claim - seems more like they want people to buy more stuff.

I hope that I can just avoid the next Strava app update and still record HR (from Wahoo TKR) in Strava. Funny too that Strava was advertising/promoting the TIKR on their site about a year ago as a easy way to add HR.
Does Ride With GPS have an iPhone version?

Post 6.
Old 10-20-19, 01:04 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Does Ride With GPS have an iPhone version?

Post 6.
Yes! And a version for an iPad as well.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-20-19, 06:00 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Somewhat related to this issue, can my accumulated Strava history be downloaded and transferred to another app? All the research I've done thus far shows numerous ways to transfer data to Strava but not from Strava's to another app.
Old 10-23-19, 07:45 AM
MinnMan

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu.../#527c8d5e5d72
Old 10-23-19, 11:35 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I still think they are missing the point in this article as well. Strava sees who records what ride with what device. It’s pretty easy to make the decision to say that support isn’t worth the market share if (as I posit) the number of riders that actually record data more than position and speed (i.e. HRM, power, etc...) on the actual Strava app is vanishingly small. If that’s true, I’d drop it too or charge more for it.

J
Old 10-23-19, 02:11 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Somewhat related to this issue, can my accumulated Strava history be downloaded and transferred to another app? All the research I've done thus far shows numerous ways to transfer data to Strava but not from Strava's to another app.
From each activity if you click the 3 dots at bottom of the column on the left (on website), you can export GPX files (which you can then import into various apps). I don't know if there's a bulk export feature.
Old 10-23-19, 02:14 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
From each activity if you click the 3 dots at bottom of the column on the left (on website), you can export GPX files (which you can then import into various apps). I don't know if there's a bulk export feature.
There is a bulk export under 'My Account' ... "Download or Delete Account'

https://www.strava.com/account

I do this about 2x/yr just in case.

Mine is zipped at about 800MB and contains a lot of images.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 10-23-19, 03:32 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Noise/Drew: thanks for the info.
Old 10-23-19, 10:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I still think they are missing the point in this article as well. Strava sees who records what ride with what device. It’s pretty easy to make the decision to say that support isn’t worth the market share if (as I posit) the number of riders that actually record data more than position and speed (i.e. HRM, power, etc...) on the actual Strava app is vanishingly small. If that’s true, I’d drop it too or charge more for it.

J
I would love to see that data!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.