Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The King is dead, long live the King! my bike got stolen, and I got a "new" one...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The King is dead, long live the King! my bike got stolen, and I got a "new" one...

Old 10-16-19, 06:07 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts

I'm working out in the NYC area, and was staying at a hotel in Newark, I had my 1985 Dahon Folding bike with me, and the work truck got broken into and all sorts of my tools and my bike were stolen...

That was last friday night, the following sunday I bought a total time machine bike off CL, almost identical to the bike that got stolen but 4 years newer and in MINT condition, really, it had been ridden maybe 50 miles its whole life? It still has the original tires on it and they aren't even dry cracked, at all. It's spent it whole life in the Dahon storage bag.

I had the old one for 18 years or so, bummed it got stolen, but this new one is so crazily new that I've moved on past the loss of the old one.

couple pics, Here it is on the highest natural point of manhattan,

and leaned up against the back of the work truck when I bought it

I bought the bike in Brooklyn on Sunday mid day then rode it 55 miles, was a beautiful day for a ride! I've been dealing with a nasty cold and a broken toe for a bit over a month now so regardless of "new bike day" it was great to get out on a ride :-) Strava even claims I had it up to 42 MPH, I was intentionally bombing one hill as fast as I could and hd 3rd gear totally spun out, and I may have actually broken 40 as these come geared a bit on the tall side. My old one had steel rims, this one is new enough to Aluminum rims, nice upgrade for sure, the brake shoes were hard as rocks and didn't slow the bike at all really so I replace those and now it just needs me to ride it around more :-)

Last edited by jackbombay; 10-16-19 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 10-16-19, 06:14 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Congrats. Looks like it would be fun to ride.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-16-19, 06:17 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Sorry to hear about your loss.... stoked for your gain!

I am a huge fan of ridiculous small wheeled folding bikes. I have a Birdy, a Raleigh RSW-16, and a Xootr Swift and I've been wondering for ages if these classic Dahons are rideable for long distances. Great to know!! I guess one in my future will fall into the n+1 category... grin

Beautiful bike by the way... congrats!
Old 10-16-19, 06:22 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Thanks for sharing!

Sorry to hear about your loss.... stoked for your gain!

I am a huge fan of ridiculous small wheeled folding bikes. I have a Birdy, a Raleigh RSW-16, and a Xootr Swift and I've been wondering for ages if these classic Dahons are rideable for long distances. Great to know!! I guess one in my future will fall into the n+1 category... grin

Beautiful bike by the way... congrats!
Earlier this summer I rode 101 miles on my dahon that was stolen! I even averaged 16 MPH, I was going for it though, hammering on the cranks with SPDs and proper shoes.

The small wheels do really give the bike a grwst feel.

Earlier this summer I was contemplating buying a newer folder with bigger wheels, but couldn't stomach the thought of my Dahon becoming the #2 folding steed... Then it got stolen, and I was looking at newer folders on CL, and somehow decided I couldn't live without "the bike" I'd had all along...
Old 10-16-19, 06:23 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
I've been wondering for ages if these classic Dahons are rideable for long distances.
Don't expect to stand and hammer on the cranks, the flame is quite flexy, you really have to sit and spin, but if you do that they can cover ground just fine.
Old 10-16-19, 06:26 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by horatio
Congrats. Looks like it would be fun to ride.
It gets a lot of thumbs up and smiles from people! It does have a Sturmey Archer hub, and AW 3 speed, I will always love the AW, sometimes I'm not stoked on the large gaps between gears, but I actually like the big gaps much of the time :-)
Old 10-16-19, 06:32 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
The good, the bad and the ugly bike scum. This story has it all!

really glad for a livable ending. Now... if they only get your old one back.
Old 10-19-19, 05:53 PM
jackbombay

Well, I bought some "half SPD" pedals for my "new" folder, and only when I went to install them did I realize the current pedals have 1/2" spindles, sigh, I can use the pedals on another build, but I still want/need some proper pedals for this folding bike. There are adapters available, but that moves the pedals out at least a half inch... I have a machinist friend that may be able to turn these down and rethread them, hmmm...

I did ride another 50 miles on the bike today, and just like last time, I was wearing flip flops...
Old 10-19-19, 05:55 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Sometimes things just work out.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-19-19, 10:12 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts

Thieves. Yeah.

Glad you found a replacement.
Old 10-20-19, 02:52 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
That's a cool story for a bike upgrade. It's almost like you traded in your old bike for a newer model. Hope the new one treats you as good as the old one did.

50 miles on a Dahon in flip-flops is an epic ride.
Old 10-20-19, 05:42 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I am glad this story had a positive ending. since I didn't know what I was clicking into. Great find and definitely an ideal NYC commuter bike. My brother has a Dahon that he uses for that purpose sometimes and he appreciates its utility. I must say that yours is much prettier though!