Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero Bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 06:43 AM
gageplate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero Bars

Can anybody tell me where on line to buy a fairly inexpensive pair of Aero bars? These would be for my son who is just starting out so at the moment, i do not want to spend a fortune.I do check craigslist daily. Thanks all
Old 05-03-12, 06:44 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gtfo
Old 05-03-12, 06:46 AM
blcknspo0ln

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMFAO DDF.

someone link this man to that thread we just had. i'll go try to dig it up in the mean time.

found it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=aero
Old 05-03-12, 06:48 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Oh, boy! Aerobars!

I love threads about aerobars!
Old 05-03-12, 06:50 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where's ole bdop
Old 05-03-12, 07:48 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
while amusing these replies are amusing, I think there is a chance the original poster has a child who is interested in junior racing. as such he/she will need aerobars for time trials. OP if your kid doesn't race and isn't going to, forget about aerobars and never speak of them again.

but here is a serious answer:

1. make sure the handlebar on the bike can use clip-on aerobars. it should be written on the bar 'aerobar compatible' or listed on the manufacturer's product description. if you can't find either of these, don't put aerobars on the handlebar you are using now or the bar could fail.

2. for cheap but good, usable aerobars try Profile and Syntace.

3. if you have a good local shop have them do a fitting with and without aerobars.
Old 05-03-12, 07:58 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Even if the kid is going to race, he needs miles under his belt before he starts using aero bars.

After he's ridden a few thousand miles, and is becoming a proficient bike handler, then you can think about aerobars for time trials.

It will not hurt him at all to do time trials the old fashioned way, in the drops, for his first season, or more. In fact, most of the juniors on our team time trial on regular road bikes without aerobars, including the 12 and under state champion.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-03-12, 11:30 AM
blcknspo0ln

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
while amusing these replies are amusing, I think there is a chance the original poster has a child who is interested in junior racing.
you err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt. tsk tsk
Old 05-03-12, 11:59 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
It will not hurt him at all to do time trials the old fashioned way, in the drops, for his first season, or more. In fact, most of the juniors on our team time trial on regular road bikes without aerobars, including the 12 and under state champion.
good advice, grounded in experience.

btw: where's that pic of the 10 year-old girl with aero helmet and enve wheels? I saw that posted in a previous discussion of juniors.
Old 05-03-12, 12:08 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by gageplate
Can anybody tell me where on line to buy a fairly inexpensive pair of Aero bars? These would be for my son who is just starting out so at the moment, i do not want to spend a fortune.I do check craigslist daily. Thanks all
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the words race, racing or time trials in the OP's post. On the other hand, it would help if the OP explained the reason for the aerobars as not everyone that uses aerobars races. They're great on 100K and century rides, especially in headwinds.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-03-12, 12:28 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be OP's kid is starting to do triathlons too where aerobars are common. Why not start right off the bat. On BF it's common advice to suggest newbies start with clipless pedals, this would be a similar situation.

How inexpensive is cheap? The least expensive ones didn't seem too expensive last time I looked an LBS.
Old 05-03-12, 01:01 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
How inexpensive is cheap? The least expensive ones didn't seem too expensive last time I looked an LBS.
My wife got my Profile Design AirStrykes for $120.00 at our LBS. They had cheaper PD models, as low as $90.00 and, depending on the brand name, I've seen them cheaper online. The other shops in my area sell them for around the same price.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-03-12, 01:07 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the words race, racing or time trials in the OP's post. On the other hand, it would help if the OP explained the reason for the aerobars as not everyone that uses aerobars races. They're great on 100K and century rides, especially in headwinds.

I absolutely did make the jump that the OP was intending to use them for racing. I noted the OP has a number of posts on BFs, not a ton but more than enough to probably know what aerobars are for. I did not bother reading any of his other posts for more background info regarding his experience and likely intent.

If that assumption is wrong and this is about family rides on the MUP and he wants his child to have aerobars, or the kid saw some and is asking about them... the OP would apparently have no clue regarding the challenge of manuevering a bike from the aerobars and the inability to brake. This is possible, but less likely IMHO.
Old 05-04-12, 07:50 PM
gageplate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay i did not think this was going to turn into such a discussion. Yes the bars are for my son who is on a juniors team. YES he does have miles under his belt. Yes they are for TT. NO I am not going to just throw him into the event without some type of practice. As stated, you can't learn if you don't practice. So with that, could i get some places where to buy , or thoughts on what not to buy. I could probably do without all the other talk. Thanks
Old 05-04-12, 07:57 PM
gageplate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@DDF can you elaborate on the GTFO
Old 05-04-12, 08:56 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like the Profile Design T2+, they offer a decent amount of adjustability. They're what I decided on back when I spent a bunch of time shopping around for the cheaptest aerobars that were still decent.

Looks like you can get them for $80 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Profile-Desig...item256e8125c7

If it's not a rush, I would just keep my eye out on local cycling classifieds for people selling aerobars, I think that's where you'll get the best deal.
Old 05-05-12, 06:20 AM
gageplate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Angry, I will check out the T2's. Yep i look on Craigslist everyday.
Old 05-05-12, 07:25 AM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@DDF can you elaborate on the GTFO
Not without the possibility of a short term ban
Old 05-05-12, 09:26 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a set of Token S-bends for the equivalent of about $50 - I assume you can get these in the US.

Old 05-05-12, 09:54 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got Profile Design Jammer GT's on my hybrid ... they're very comfortable on the wrists with the bent bars ... as opposed to most straight bars pictured here.
I paid about 90€ for 'em.
Old 05-05-12, 01:22 PM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay i did not think this was going to turn into such a discussion. Yes the bars are for my son who is on a juniors team. YES he does have miles under his belt. Yes they are for TT. NO I am not going to just throw him into the event without some type of practice. As stated, you can't learn if you don't practice. So with that, could i get some places where to buy , or thoughts on what not to buy. I could probably do without all the other talk. Thanks
With all that as a set up, sounds like you know what you are looking for, so I only have one word for you: Google. You will get better results with far less angst using that than you will from the 41 on this topic.
Old 05-05-12, 02:35 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Aero bar for about $1.25:

Old 05-05-12, 06:00 PM
gageplate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@DDf-Really! Not sure why you had to throw in your comments if i am just asking a simple question. Obviously there is nothing better in your life. Hope you don't ever need help. All i can say it what a total JO. For the rest of you who did give some positive feed back, thanks a lot
Old 05-05-12, 06:42 PM
gladiator13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@DDf-Really! Not sure why you had to throw in your comments if i am just asking a simple question. Obviously there is nothing better in your life. Hope you don't ever need help. All i can say it what a total JO. For the rest of you who did give some positive feed back, thanks a lot
I wouldn't sweat it. This forum is filled with people like that. I stopped posting here for a long time because of it. Between pcad talking to himself and everybody else just saying HTFU and the like it just gets old. It's amazing new people even sign up after some of the crap I read here
Old 05-05-12, 06:52 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You joined in 2008 and STILL have not figured out that these sorts of talks are just about de rigueur for the 41 crowd?? Take a deep breath and enjoy the silly, fredly 41... you will almost always get serious answers thrown in with the usual ribbing...

Oh, and FWIW I dig the Profile line for good value and function even if they are not the lightest or most stylish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.