Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal Recommendations, Please?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 03:03 PM
NE Tiger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know what I am about to suggest is heresy, but can someone suggest a non clip/non cleat/non cycling shoe oriented flat pedal for a road bike?

I know, I know, I'm losing power, efficiency, blah blah blah, but I just dropped significant $ on the bike, and I just want to casually ride for September and October before it gets too cold. Once it's winter and I'm on hiatus, I will figure out what shoes and pedals to get, but for now, I just want to upgrade from the disposable test ride pedals that come with the bike. Suggestions? Many thanks.
Old 08-23-11, 03:09 PM
MNX1024

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then please stick with the disposable test ride pedals since you're going to get new pedals anyway.
Old 08-23-11, 05:23 PM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there's a whole lot of quality variance on the platforms... they all kinda work the same. My LBS threw on some decent $10 ones before I had decided on a pedal system.
Old 08-23-11, 06:11 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Someone in the touring forum recommeded MKS GR-9 pedals. I read some positive reviews but haven't completed my build yet so I haven't tried them yet.
Old 08-23-11, 06:43 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
While not completely clipless, I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-Sp.../dp/B001FYGGLC

on my commuter and really like them. I've used GR-9s too, but found them to small to use without straps of some kind. If you look at somafab or webstores that cater to fixie folk you will see more option. In fact if you ask in the ss/fixie forum you may get better advice.
Old 08-23-11, 10:00 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have over 1,000 miles on my road bike using the Forté ATB Comp Pedals. They are light, they have good bearings, and they were just $25 last time I looked.
Old 08-23-11, 10:23 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by NE Tiger
I know what I am about to suggest is heresy, but can someone suggest a non clip/non cleat/non cycling shoe oriented flat pedal for a road bike?

I know, I know, I'm losing power, efficiency, blah blah blah, but I just dropped significant $ on the bike, and I just want to casually ride for September and October before it gets too cold. Once it's winter and I'm on hiatus, I will figure out what shoes and pedals to get, but for now, I just want to upgrade from the disposable test ride pedals that come with the bike. Suggestions? Many thanks.
Let me get this straight. You just spent significant money on a bike...ergo, you do not want to plunk down more cash for clipless pedals. Yet you want to buy an "upgraded"platform pedals that will eventually be replaced by clipless?!? Or, are you not planning on going clipless at all?

If you are going clipless later, just stick with what came with the bike.
Old 08-24-11, 09:34 AM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NE Tiger

Any of the Wellgo platforms would be fine. Be sure to grease the threads if you install them yourself.

I don't think there's a whole lot of quality variance on the platforms
Incorrect. The cheap ones are easy to snap off (mentioned a lot in Clydesdale pedal discussions).
Old 08-24-11, 09:50 AM
mynameistaken

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't want to go clipless you can still get a benefit from mountain bike shoes and clips like these.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41uuFusRBrL._AA300_.jpg (10.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-24-11, 09:58 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
If you're going to ride casually then save your money and stick with the platform pedals that came with the bike.