Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

whats the dealio on bonktown?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-24-11, 09:00 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is with bonktown? Do they only have 1 item for sale at a time? Is there more than 1 item per day? How long does each item last? Is there a consistent time limit for each item (ex: 20 min/item or untill sold out).
Old 08-24-11, 09:04 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of your questions could be answered by visiting www.bonktown.com
Old 08-24-11, 09:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
More than 1 item per day and usually a time limit. Not sure how long, though.
Old 08-24-11, 09:09 AM
JAJ0404

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp 18

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's a little graph to the right - 30 minutes and it counts it down.
Old 08-24-11, 09:21 AM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most items are 30 minutes. Sometimes it's a little more or less. Sometimes they have crazy deals that sell out in a few minutes.

The Google Chome extension is really useful if you are waiting to snag something in particular.
Old 08-24-11, 09:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
usually decent deals, but shipping is a bit expensive so you have to buy a lot of stuff for it to be worth it (at least to me). That means your stuff doesn't come for a while, so you need patience.
Old 08-24-11, 09:35 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to answer all of those questions for myself, as well as purchase a set of Time pedals for a great price, by glancing at the website for all of 30 seconds....
Old 08-24-11, 10:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
usually decent deals, but shipping is a bit expensive so you have to buy a lot of stuff for it to be worth it (at least to me). That means your stuff doesn't come for a while, so you need patience.
How do you make multiple purchases on bonktown? The last time I tried to buy something it canceled because I didn't check out before the timer ran up.
Old 08-24-11, 10:52 AM
bjamis75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First rule of Bonktown: You do not talk about Bonktown

Urban, when you finish your checkout you get a little 5? minute timer where you can elect to have them hold your item to ship with future purchases. I've never done it, but it is a cool option.

Their shipping is fair unless you're buying something really small/inexpensive. I've also found that they ship REALLY quick. Seems they always use UPS and often I'll get a shipping confirmation just hours after making the purchase.
Old 08-24-11, 11:02 AM
himespau 

Yeah you can say hold it while you buy more stuff (and I think each additional item is like 99 cents). If you do it that way (at least this is how it worked 6 months ago the last time I purchased stuff from them) you can have them hold it for like 2 weeks from the first purchase while you buy additional stuff and then it was all shipped at once. But you had to check out fully and not just add it to the cart for each item.
Old 08-24-11, 11:21 AM
haaseg

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah you can say hold it while you buy more stuff (and I think each additional item is like 99 cents). If you do it that way (at least this is how it worked 6 months ago the last time I purchased stuff from them) you can have them hold it for like 2 weeks from the first purchase while you buy additional stuff and then it was all shipped at once. But you had to check out fully and not just add it to the cart for each item.
Confirmed - I just ordered some socks (the NO COTTON socks thread had me convinced to try again) and have 7 days, 17 hours to add more stuff to my cart for $.99 until the order ships. I can choose to ship it any time earlier than that by clicking a button.
Old 08-24-11, 11:22 AM
Ikarios

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjamis75
First rule of Bonktown: You do not talk about Bonktown

Urban, when you finish your checkout you get a little 5? minute timer where you can elect to have them hold your item to ship with future purchases. I've never done it, but it is a cool option.

Their shipping is fair unless you're buying something really small/inexpensive. I've also found that they ship REALLY quick. Seems they always use UPS and often I'll get a shipping confirmation just hours after making the purchase.
They have pretty good deals on small items (gloves, tape, etc) but the shipping can kill the deal. Their combined shipping option for $1 per extra item will save money if you tend to buy a lot of things, but it might pull you into the mindset of "GOTTA BUY MORE FROM BONKTOWN TO SAVE SHIPPING".
Old 08-24-11, 11:28 AM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Definitely select the combined shipping deal (after you place your order) if you are buying smaller items, else shipping can kill the deals. Some prices on Bonktown are really good; others are mediocre. They also sell alot of house-brand stuff which is cheap, but not always great quality.
Old 08-24-11, 11:29 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
1st rule of bonktown...
Old 08-24-11, 11:40 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Since you don't know when the next deal for you will come up, what happens if you have just one item when the time limit is up? Can you cancel or did you just pay too much to ship a small deal?
Old 08-24-11, 11:40 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Ikarios
They have pretty good deals on small items (gloves, tape, etc) but the shipping can kill the deal. Their combined shipping option for $1 per extra item will save money if you tend to buy a lot of things, but it might pull you into the mindset of "GOTTA BUY MORE FROM BONKTOWN TO SAVE SHIPPING".
true, that's how I ended up with a huge purchase from them one month (in a month where we had lots of other large unexpected purchase) which led to my wife and I deciding to not buy things we don't need for a while. So no new bibs/jerseys/upgrade parts for a while.
Old 08-24-11, 11:43 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Thanks for the explanation. Since you don't know when the next deal for you will come up, what happens if you have just one item when the time limit is up? Can you cancel or did you just pay too much to ship a small deal?
No cancelling, once bought it's bought. so if you wait and don't find anything else you want you pay a high price for shipping, plus you've waited a long time.
Old 08-24-11, 11:47 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I just don't buy small items unless I have already bought a large item and can add the small item to the shipment. Small items will usually come around again.
Old 08-24-11, 12:20 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just did a test Red RD buy, put in my zip code, $6 to ship. Makes sense. That is normal shipping. Would have saved me about $20 over what I paid on ebay. But, whatever.
Old 08-24-11, 03:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I agree the deals can be good but most of us are busy and don't have time to watch for our desired item.

I also agree that shipping can be relatively high for low-priced items, so what looks like an amazing deal (say 5 tubes for $10) may not be such a great deal after the shipping is added on.

I don't completely understand or agree with their business model, but hey, it's theirs.
Old 08-24-11, 03:52 PM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psssst, www.gearscan.com
Old 08-24-11, 04:09 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I agree the deals can be good but most of us are busy and don't have time to watch for our desired item.

I also agree that shipping can be relatively high for low-priced items, so what looks like an amazing deal (say 5 tubes for $10) may not be such a great deal after the shipping is added on.

I don't completely understand or agree with their business model, but hey, it's theirs.
If you don't want to wait for deals, check out their other web sites: realcyclist.com, competitivecyclist.com, backcountry.com, departmentofgoods.com, and a few others

Orders from all the web sites seem to go through the same customer service department, which is excellent

They are probably using bonktown.com mostly as a teaser and also to deal with closeouts and overstocks.
Old 08-24-11, 04:25 PM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
They are probably using bonktown.com mostly as a teaser and also to deal with closeouts and overstocks.
FYI...The mothership is Backcountry.com and gearscan is the site that rolls all of there outlets into one place...bonktown, steep and cheap, chainlove, whiskey militia and many others.

You can also have them hold items so you can combine shipping later BTW.