Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The more I search for a new lugged road frame, the better a Waterford looks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The more I search for a new lugged road frame, the better a Waterford looks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 09:41 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I have a custom stainless frame from Anderson Custom Bicycles. It's not painted and so any scratch or ding in the finish is super easy to take care of unlike a painted frame.

Waterford, and even more so Gunnar (same company), are a very good value in frames. Gunnar is a cheaper version. Waterford is sort of the artisan version with fancy lugged frames, fancy finishes etc... The low end of Waterford is just a few hundred dollars more than the top end custom geometry of Gunnar.

I also have a Gunnar Crosshairs that was made with a custom geometry option for about $1400. The whole bike, originally a 105 bike but since upgraded to eTap, came in at around $2500 (a few years ago) - not something I could touch custom geometry in at that price point with standard off the shelf bikes.

Something else to look at is Habanero Cycles. I have been contemplating a custom geometry disc brake bike. Ti would be lighter than steel so this would likely be my choice there.

J.
Right now a Gunnar Roadie fully spec'd and custom came out to. E $50 more than getting the same bike as a Waterford. Apparently on January 1 Waterford will be adjusting price. Or so it goes from my local fitter.
Old 12-20-17, 09:46 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
Right now a Gunnar Roadie fully spec'd and custom came out to. E $50 more than getting the same bike as a Waterford. Apparently on January 1 Waterford will be adjusting price. Or so it goes from my local fitter.
Yep. Same shop/factory with two brands for different price points.
Old 12-20-17, 10:23 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I understand if you want something nice, custom and schmick, but if you're open to a bargain, I highly recommend the Holdsworth Competition from Planet X. The frames, made with Columbus Spirit, are currently 600 GBP on Planet X, which, less the VAT, is $670 USD on today's exchange rates (plus postage, of course). Columbus Spirit usually costs at least 2 or 3 times as much

I've got one, and the more I ride it, the more I like it. The only downside is that mine didn't come with a headset.

They're not light -- my size L is 1840g, bare, no fork -- but the big tubes and huge head-tube makes it quite stiff for steel.

They come in these two colours. Neither of these are mine

Old 12-21-17, 06:55 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Waterford has been making high end bikes since the Schwinn Paramount days. Loved those when I was young. Quality frames and beautiful paint jobs. Obviously, you can find great bikes at cheaper prices but if I had the coin to spend, I cannot think of too many I'd rather have. Pegoretti,.... Pretty short list.
Old 02-02-18, 09:05 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I just placed an order for a 14 series. Very excited.
Has your frame shipped yet? I ordered a 14 series frame around Dec 10 and heard that it is shipping soon. Looks like Waterford raised the price on the 14 series frame from $1500 to $1800 in January.
Old 02-02-18, 10:11 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Incidentally, the Holdsworth Competition is currently on sale for 450 GBP, which should be cheaper without the vat

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO...ition-frameset
Old 02-05-18, 10:03 AM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by GailT
Has your frame shipped yet? I ordered a 14 series frame around Dec 10 and heard that it is shipping soon. Looks like Waterford raised the price on the 14 series frame from $1500 to $1800 in January.
Mine has not shipped yet. I ordered it around 12/20, but if I'm 10 days behind you I guess I should assume mine will follow shortly after yours.
I was actually going to buy a custom Gunnar Roadie but it came out to be the same price as a Waterford. Waterford hadn't yet inflated their prices as they had on the Gunnar and everything I spec'd on the Gunnar that increased its price came included with the Waterford.

I'm so excited to get this bike built! Its going to be a Campy Chorus build with a mix of Thomson/King/Hed parts.
Old 02-06-18, 04:10 PM
JohnJ80

Mine has not shipped yet. I ordered it around 12/20, but if I'm 10 days behind you I guess I should assume mine will follow shortly after yours.
I was actually going to buy a custom Gunnar Roadie but it came out to be the same price as a Waterford. Waterford hadn't yet inflated their prices as they had on the Gunnar and everything I spec'd on the Gunnar that increased its price came included with the Waterford.

I'm so excited to get this bike built! Its going to be a Campy Chorus build with a mix of Thomson/King/Hed parts.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your bike when you get it. All the bikes I ride the most are steel or stainless steel and all have custom geometry.

J.
Old 02-07-18, 01:17 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I don't know how they can keep some of their custom frames selling at such reasonable prices. I wonder how many hours are actually spent on each bike and how many they build each year. Is every facet custom? I love the Waterford's, and frankly that Holdsworth was pretty darn fine as well.

I just picked up a Speedvagen. Went the custom route with quite a few upgrades like carbon seat tube, integrated bar/stem painted to match, and a painted to match Envy seat mast topper. Did a personalized fitting, and then waited about 10 weeks for build and delivery.

Old 02-07-18, 10:02 PM
sultanofsuede

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

i just joined this forum today because i'm starting the journey of a custome steel frame build. have been leaning towards waterford with record and king/hed stuff (pretty much exactly what you're doing). can i ask how you plan to build it? did you order everything through your local shop?
Old 02-08-18, 03:31 PM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
i just joined this forum today because i'm starting the journey of a custome steel frame build. have been leaning towards waterford with record and king/hed stuff (pretty much exactly what you're doing). can i ask how you plan to build it? did you order everything through your local shop?
I'm working through FitWerx. They are a shop/fitting studio. The guy who owns it has a great relationship with Waterford so he is the one in communication. With them. As far as my parts, I've ordered them through him and there has been little if any mark up over going direct to an online retailer. In fact in some cases I've come out ahead. So far it's been a good experience
Old 02-16-18, 09:33 AM
Wspsux

Any updates? I'm still waiting on mine
Old 02-16-18, 01:04 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm working through FitWerx. They are a shop/fitting studio. The guy who owns it has a great relationship with Waterford so he is the one in communication. With them. As far as my parts, I've ordered them through him and there has been little if any mark up over going direct to an online retailer. In fact in some cases I've come out ahead. So far it's been a good experience
good to know. i was kind of thinking of building mine out on my own to save to money, but maybe i'll start with the shop and see what they can do. i don't really know what the heck i'm doing, but was thinking i could pick up some close-out components, wheels, etc... to bring my overall cost down. i don't care too much about getting THIS YEAR's MODEL.

now i have to go listen to elvis costello.
Old 02-18-18, 09:52 PM
GailT

My ST-14 frame arrived at Vecchios about two weeks ago and I picked the bike on Feb 10. The frame has high stack and short reach, with the hope that I'll be able to ride it into my 70s, which is starting to seem not so far away. The bike has Ultegra 8000 components, Zipp stem, handlebars and seat post, VO Grand Cru long reach rim brakes, the new Mavic OpenPro UST rims, 32c gatorskins. I picked it up during a snow storm, had a couple of very short rides after work last week and a longer ride yesterday. It is a dramatic change from my 1991 Cannondale ST600, which is the only other road bike I've ridden in the last 27 years, apart from a few short test rides on the Roubaix and Diverge, so I can't compare it to other modern bikes. The frame geometry is closer to the Diverge, and the ride seems similar, as best as I recall from a test ride 4 months ago, very stable. Even with 20 to 30 mph winds yesterday, it was an awesome ride. I plan to move some spacers to lower the handle bars and might cut the steerer tube a little shorter if it turns out I really don't need the height.

The colour is Waterford's chameleon metallic. Not the best pictures - I'll add some outdoor pictures later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike0.jpg (471.7 KB, 381 views)
bike3.jpg (602.5 KB, 381 views)
bike4.jpg (568.7 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by GailT; 02-18-18 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 02-18-18, 10:13 PM
JohnJ80

Very nice! I'm sure it will be a great ride!

J.
Old 02-18-18, 10:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
That paint is amazing! Beautiful.
Old 02-19-18, 08:08 AM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My ST-14 frame arrived at Vecchios about two weeks ago and I picked the bike on Feb 10. The frame has high stack and short reach, with the hope that I'll be able to ride it into my 70s, which is starting to seem not so far away. The bike has Ultegra 8000 components, Zipp stem, handlebars and seat post, VO Grand Cru long reach rim brakes, the new Mavic OpenPro UST rims, 32c gatorskins. I picked it up during a snow storm, had a couple of very short rides after work last week and a longer ride yesterday. It is a dramatic change from my 1991 Cannondale ST600, which is the only other road bike I've ridden in the last 27 years, apart from a few short test rides on the Roubaix and Diverge, so I can't compare it to other modern bikes. The frame geometry is closer to the Diverge, and the ride seems similar, as best as I recall from a test ride 4 months ago, very stable. Even with 20 to 30 mph winds yesterday, it was an awesome ride. I plan to move some spacers to lower the handle bars and might cut the steerer tube a little shorter if it turns out I really don't need the height.

The colour is Waterford's chameleon metallic. Not the best pictures - I'll add some outdoor pictures later.
looks awesome!
i have to ask. are you a pretty tall guy? what frame size would this be similar to?
Old 02-19-18, 10:03 AM
GailT

I'm about 6' 4", my Cannondale ST600 is a 25" frame, and this is very roughly similar to that, although a little lower standover height with the sloped top tube, slightly steeper 74 degree seat tube angle, shorter top tube, taller head tube, so it's very much an endurance frame geometry.
Old 02-21-18, 07:44 AM
Wspsux

Well done!!

Can I ask if you spec'd the rear triangle to accept 32 or is that the norm? Stiiiilllllll waiting on mine
Old 02-21-18, 10:20 PM
GailT

Can I ask if you spec'd the rear triangle to accept 32 or is that the norm? Stiiiilllllll waiting on mine

I did specify the 57mm caliper brakes to allow for the larger tire size - I think it is primarily the choice of brakes that limits tire size.
Old 02-24-18, 04:51 PM
JohnJ80

I did specify the 57mm caliper brakes to allow for the larger tire size - I think it is primarily the choice of brakes that limits tire size.
True in the front. In the back you also have the chain stay spacing and length that limits tire size.

I recently got a set of tubeless wheels (HED Belgium+, DTSwiss 240 hubs, CX-Ray spokes - <1500g) and mounted them up tubeless with the Schwalbe G-one speed in 30c. Very fast set up, amazingly light for a clincher and just a super plush ride. Be worth it to try those on that frame if they would fit.

J
Old 03-22-18, 07:46 AM
Wspsux

My frame has arrived!
Old 03-22-18, 11:22 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great color. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-18, 08:17 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Beautiful can’t wait to see it built up!
Old 11-08-18, 12:36 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bringing this thread back to life (maybe?). any new waterford pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.