Reload this Page >

Riding in a Pandemic

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Riding in a Pandemic

Old 04-04-20, 04:12 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked 2,877 Times in 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
This suggests your MUPs are 15' wide? If so, quite a luxury here.
I avoid them, pandemic or not, personally.
Not quite. One of them went a little off the path. Depends on the MUP. Some of them are great -- Nashua River Rail Trail might as well be my private track if I catch it at the right time of day. There are greenways in the Boston area that really are awful to bike on ever.
Old 04-04-20, 04:25 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
This afternoon I was riding on the Hudson Greenway in Manhattan. Quite a lot of people. Things were well except at one point, as I was north bound on the road, in front of Pier 40, one cyclist south bound suddenly blew his snots toward the opposite lane (my lane)! I could turn my head after seeing it, but the people who were coming up behind him would not know he just blew his snots in the air. First it's so disgusting even if it's not in pandemic, second it's outrageous and inappropriate to do so in the pandemic, third, he could have blown his nose to his right, toward outside of the Greenway where there was nobody, but he blew his nose inward toward the opposite lane where there were people passing frequently; and it was breezy.

Other than that, it was a nice ride.

Last edited by vol; 04-04-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 06:16 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: RIC FLAIR ZONA 52.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
graveling during this time is great for commuter style riders like myself... im not trying to take any main streets or routes that have people i have to share space with at all.
Old 04-05-20, 07:07 AM
erudite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol View Post
This afternoon I was riding on the Hudson Greenway in Manhattan. Quite a lot of people. Things were well except at one point, as I was north bound on the road, in front of Pier 40, one cyclist south bound suddenly blew his snots toward the opposite lane (my lane)! I could turn my head after seeing it, but the people who were coming up behind him would not know he just blew his snots in the air. First it's so disgusting even if it's not in pandemic, second it's outrageous and inappropriate to do so in the pandemic, third, he could have blown his nose to his right, toward outside of the Greenway where there was nobody, but he blew his nose inward toward the opposite lane where there were people passing frequently; and it was breezy.

Other than that, it was a nice ride.
That's awful, I was watching a video earlier about how micro particles can hang in the air for some time after being ejected from the nose or mouth.
Likes For erudite:
Old 04-05-20, 07:28 AM
stephr1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
OK. For those who believe they have this social distancing thing well in hand....here's another take on it...YMMV

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...tten-the-curve
Old 04-05-20, 07:48 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 134 Posts
This is what I expect to happen here in the USA in the near future. Get the virus under control, then play a nationwide game of 'Whack-a-Mole":

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
Old 04-05-20, 02:49 PM
vol

Originally Posted by erudite View Post
That's awful, I was watching a video earlier about how micro particles can hang in the air for some time after being ejected from the nose or mouth.
I read this yesterday:
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...hs/5086553002/
Old 04-06-20, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
This is what I expect to happen here in the USA in the near future. Get the virus under control, then play a nationwide game of 'Whack-a-Mole":

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

We've already blown the chance to follow the South Korean model. We're going to have multiple hot spots going at once, so the blanket response is going to last longer here.
Old 04-06-20, 06:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60 View Post
One question that several of my cycling friends have posed is whether the potential risks of riding and ending up in the ER are worth it, regarding using precious ER resources. Some have been quite forceful on this point. Not sure how to respond but I am an extraordinarily cautious rider for 45+ years with no accidents. Not that it wonít happen but given that one of the greatest objective dangers, cars, are far fewer I will take my chances.
I had a similar conversation with Lisa over the weekend. I asked how many bike rides have required ER trips had during our 33 relationship - short answer: 0. Don't get me wrong, I've wrecked (and learned a lot about avoiding wrecking). But 2020 isn't the year to test out descending on the top-tube for the first time
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 04-11-20, 04:50 PM
vol

I find it's much safer now to ride on the streets and avenues than bike paths in Manhattan. There are few vehicles on the streets, so less danger of being hit. On the Hudson Greenway there are many cyclists, skateboarders and joggers so there is much higher virus risk than on the streets esp. if some cyclists spit or blow their snots. The only con is the lack of sun on the streets.

Pictured: Fifth Avenue midtown, Madison Avenue, Park Avenue today (granted it's weekend and vehicles would be less anyway, but normally there would be many people on the sidewalks).

Old 04-11-20, 07:13 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 269 Posts
Was passed within 1 foot by a couple of asshats today on the road. Plently of room for a wide pass.

The majority of the riders I saw today were abiding.
Old 04-12-20, 08:02 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 801 Posts
I ride in the boonies so I feel safe. But I just ride, my hammering days are over so my wreck potential is low. Now getting trampled by crazy bovine may be another story.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-12-20, 04:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
now, when I ride, I carry a small spray bottle of my "special sauce" in case I duck into a store of some kind

or a porto-John. but finding one unlocked is rare

Old 04-12-20, 06:07 PM
vol

Today on my ride on the Hudson Greenway as I passed by where the USNS Comfort Hospital was docked, the two soldiers guarding the entrance waved to me with big smiles. I totally didn't expect, waved back to them. So nice!

42nd st. and 5th ave today (Easter Sunday):

Last edited by vol; 04-12-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 08:55 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '87 Centurion IM Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Today early morning I went for some new places I've never been on a bike. Not that far from home.
Did some 6 miles on a free way shoulder and after jumping off, I took a trail along a busy local road that I already have ridden before.
In the midst of the trail I see a white SUV parked crossing the trail.
Officer gets off and tells me trails are closed and to ride on the road shoulder. I followed his directions and rode on the shoulder while seeing couple of bikes on the trail along with people jogging, walking dog, etc.
Getting close to where the road meets a free way, I moved back to trail because no much shoulder and good amount of cars.
After some half mile on it there is a signal saying trail closed ahead and to take detour, so went back to the road and luckily it had sidewalk now, so rode on the sidewalk.

Coming back close home, there is a state park that is 'closed' and there is now a signal saying trail is closed for non-necessary usage. Took anyway because it would be a longer detour and was kind of getting late.
Again saw moms with little ones, jogging, bike riding, walking dog all along the park.

From tomorrow, looking for alternative routes avoiding breaking the rules on this pandemic. I know there is some good roads around with wide shoulders that is safe to ride.
Old 04-13-20, 04:56 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by phtomita View Post
Today early morning I went for some new places I've never been on a bike. Not that far from home.
Did some 6 miles on a free way shoulder and after jumping off, I took a trail along a busy local road that I already have ridden before.
In the midst of the trail I see a white SUV parked crossing the trail.
Officer gets off and tells me trails are closed and to ride on the road shoulder. I followed his directions and rode on the shoulder while seeing couple of bikes on the trail along with people jogging, walking dog, etc.
Getting close to where the road meets a free way, I moved back to trail because no much shoulder and good amount of cars.
After some half mile on it there is a signal saying trail closed ahead and to take detour, so went back to the road and luckily it had sidewalk now, so rode on the sidewalk.

Coming back close home, there is a state park that is 'closed' and there is now a signal saying trail is closed for non-necessary usage. Took anyway because it would be a longer detour and was kind of getting late.
Again saw moms with little ones, jogging, bike riding, walking dog all along the park.

From tomorrow, looking for alternative routes avoiding breaking the rules on this pandemic. I know there is some good roads around with wide shoulders that is safe to ride.

I'm avoiding the MUPs entirely on the weekends, but have one I'm using that is alright weekday evenings. I'm doing my weekend routing much as you describe.
Old 04-13-20, 10:14 AM
Skullo

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Friday I went to a very low traffic two lane highway for a twenty mile out and back. There were more riders than usual, but still plenty of room for everyone. I ride a heavy touring bike that weighs about forty pounds with my trunk bag and extra gear , and am cranking along about ten miles an hour into a stiff headwind. Suddenly with no warning a guy on a road bike blows by me at less than two feet, then cuts in front of me immediately like he is in a race.
There was no traffic and he could have gone wide of me by at least twenty feet.
I am 69 years old.My spouse at home is diabetic with hypertension.
What an as@$&!/.
On my way back two more riders did the same thing , passing closer than two feet.
I donít like being passed that close at any time.
I just canít understand such rudeness.
Old 04-13-20, 10:56 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
Was passed within 1 foot by a couple of asshats today on the road. Plently of room for a wide pass.

The majority of the riders I saw today were abiding.
I'm finding these morons too. Empty road and they can't move over enough for a safe pass?!?

Old 04-13-20, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by Skullo View Post
Friday I went to a very low traffic two lane highway for a twenty mile out and back. There were more riders than usual, but still plenty of room for everyone. I ride a heavy touring bike that weighs about forty pounds with my trunk bag and extra gear , and am cranking along about ten miles an hour into a stiff headwind. Suddenly with no warning a guy on a road bike blows by me at less than two feet, then cuts in front of me immediately like he is in a race.
There was no traffic and he could have gone wide of me by at least twenty feet.
I am 69 years old.My spouse at home is diabetic with hypertension.
What an as@$&!/.
On my way back two more riders did the same thing , passing closer than two feet.
I donít like being passed that close at any time.
I just canít understand such rudeness.

Under the current circumstances, that goes well beyond rudeness.

Not to sound arrogant, but I pass much, much more than I am passed. I rode on the roads yesterday, and there were so few cars, I had no problem taking the traffic lane to get many feet around the people I was passing,

EXCEPT--I had one close pass on Saturday. Despite my loud as I could make it announcement, two pedestrians insisted on walking side by side to block out the entire breakdown lane on a 50 mph road. I went a little bit into the traffic lane to pass them, but I was going to be damned if I was going to really take that lane at that speed limit. I don't think I managed more than three feet to the left of the outermost pedestrian. Otherwise, not a close pass in 100 miles of riding.
Old 04-14-20, 05:52 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '87 Centurion IM Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
Today in my morning "commute" (ride), I saw an officer speaking to a lady walking the dog - my guess is she was probably entering the closed gate of a State Park and it happened the officer was driving by. His SUV was stopped crossing the entrance of the park and in parallel with the road that goes by.
I was riding on a trail (old rail road) that i believe is City managed trail and open around here. County and State managed trails are closed.
Hard to know which one are the City ones.... I am using my common sense and trying my best to abide to the current rules.
Old 04-16-20, 04:10 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When the pandemic and stay at home edict came down in CA, I was in AZ. I rode the two days i was there, then rode daily while in Borrego Springs (Montezuma is an adventure, especially those RV's with LOOOOOONG trailers going up that mountain road.... one almost pinned me against the mountainside, but I digress)

I have been riding most days, but the notion of a biking mishap, and/or catching it by not giving enough spatial distance weigh on me a little more than normal. (https://www.wired.com/story/are-runn...ding-covid-19/) The last place any of y'all want to end up is in a hospital. That's not a dealbreaker for me, as I continue to ride. To circumvent some of my outside riding time (and to ride during times where the roads are not as safe for me--- I had an accident about 18 months ago, that put me in the hospital for a few days, immediate surgery, and a permanent rod /screws attached to me left femur) , I picked up a smart trainer that was 15% off at one of the local bike shops (LBS). I've got a 45 day trial using Rouvy.com. I plan to evaluate most virtual riding apps (zwift, trainer road, sufferfest, Kinogam, rouvy), one app at a time, and compare which one is best. Yes, I like racing virtually, but haven't found much on rouvy yet.. I know zwift is king in this field, but their pricing structure is high.

It varies my workouts a bit, and I'm on the roads less, dodging potholes and upset motorists that might have a problem with cyclists. I might end up enjoying it more, but the open road will call..... and the wind, I have found, lessens the sweat I come home with.

I have lessened my riding distances, on the road, with the longest being about 40. I usually make up the lack of distance with more climbing, as my elevation numbers have jumped quite a bit.

No, no situation like this. The only thing I can compare it to is an economic hit, of which is going to be felt with riots, unrest, as we are starting to see in Kentucky and Ohio. The longer the people are held out of work, and without income, the more dire the situation will be, It's almost like this economy and country was meant to heal via a "herd mentality"... shield the weaker, and let the strong take the brunt of a virus that, for the most part, is mild to those who are active and have strong immune makeup. However, I've known a number of people who have either ended up in the hospital, or sick for a number of days, and I thought they were doing well. It just tells you that once this hits the human body, you don't know what it's going to do you.

It's "fear of the unknown" that keeps me guarded. So wide berths to anybody.

Most days, I find myself with the song Twilight Zone in my head. I miss my mid-ride coffee and hangouts with more than one friend.... I've limited rides to one other person, and don't meet up with multiple friends right now.

I have noticed the clearer days, less smog, less cars on the road. All good aspects for cyclists.

Maybe, this is a wake up call to humankind that our actions are destroying the Earth.
Likes For Cykilist2:
Old 04-21-20, 09:13 AM
botty kayer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 93 Posts
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-23-20, 08:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
The biggest changes for me in Minneapolis is avoiding all of our trails, we have a great networks of multi-use trails (often rated best in the US) - however, during the shelter-in-place orders, the trails are the busiest I've ever seen them. Many trail users are novice and not aware of the rules. It'd be unsafe to ride these crowded conditions if there wasn't a pandemic causing us to need extra space. On the bright side, the roads are so quiet, they feel like the trails used to.
Two updates to my earlier post about roads and trails.

The trails a good when the weather is bad (cold, wind, rain, snow ... we got 4-6 inches on Easter) or if you're on a causal ride. We have a canoe on Cedar Lake, the North Cedar Trail and Cedar Lake Parkway are the only route to get you there by bike. If your riding at a causal pace (10-12 mph) it's fine. Over the last few weeks, the pathlete (people that race on paths) have mostly moved to the roads. With fewer fast riders, the trails are a little less stressful. You do need to use your bell and voice liberally, but it's not terrible.

The roads are getting busy again. Now if I were to compare traffic levels today with a year ago, I'd say the roads are very quiet ... but compared to last month, the traffic is up. And there is the gold rule of the roads during the pandemic: there will be one (no more, no less) person driving on an empty road that can't be bothered to yield safe distance. SMFH
Old 04-23-20, 01:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I'm finding these morons too. Empty road and they can't move over enough for a safe pass?!?

I agree, roads pretty empty. I've also noticed more driving considerably faster though.
​​​​
Love the illustration, would make a great t-shirt (back ).
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 04-23-20, 01:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I agree, roads pretty empty. I've also noticed more driving considerably faster though.
​​​​
Love the illustration, would make a great t-shirt (back ).
Generally, I'm finding the empty roads much safer than typical. However, this was published earlier this month (SMFH):

... traffic fatalities in Minnesota have increased about 50 percent and that's at a time that traffic is down roughly 50 percent. .... The State Patrol said 28 people have died on Minnesota roadways over the past three weeks. There were 13 fatalities during the same period last year. ..... Unfortunately, Minnesota is kind of bucking a trend here most of our other partner states are seeing declines and, in some cases, significant declines in their fatality rate

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...vehicle-volume
Likes For Hypno Toad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.