Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

John Forester

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 02:47 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
John Forester

John Forester Dies, Aged 90

-mr. bill
Old 04-23-20, 07:55 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
R I P John.
Old 04-24-20, 07:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I may have to ride on a MUP today in tribute.
Old 04-25-20, 04:38 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I was trying to find some of the old debates with John Forrester, here in the VC subforum , but can’t find any.
Are past threads archived ? I hope they haven’t been lost.
I did disagree with Forrester, I believe cyclists should be able to use main roads, but with convex or wide angle rear-view mirrors, video cameras, LED Lighting of equivalent lumens or luminosity to equal “legal” motorcycle lighting, loud horns, fairings to withstand “dooring”, LED turn signals, and maybe a few other things I forgot; but all tied in with enforcement, to get the buzzing, coal rolling, bottle throwing butt bunnies off the road. ... ahem.
Furthermore, I believe in a few traffic control protocols found in railroad “CTC” installations, and the V2V transponders, when those become available.
Everyone else, the elderly, women and children, handicapped, skaters, etc, and anyone who doesn’t have the $12,000 to spend on the aforementioned electronics package, should have available MUP’s or Bike Lanes.

Sorry if I sound rude.
I will miss John Forrester and his expression of his viewpoint, may he Rest In Peace.
Old 04-25-20, 05:46 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
I was trying to find some of the old debates with John Forrester, here in the VC subforum , but can’t find any.
Use advanced search, search by Username. It only returns 1000 posts, so the default search will return his last 1000 posts, sort by last posting date in ascending order for his first 1000 posts, and other filters to find the rest.

-mr. bill
Old 04-26-20, 02:11 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Here you go: https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=7987197 Btw, his name is spelled Forester, not Forrester.

On the one hand, he did a lot of damage to U.S. transportation cycling. On the other hand, the chapter on lane control in _Effective Cycling_ remains the best explanation of how to ride a bike safely on U.S. roads as they actually exist. He was definitely the wrong messenger, and a lot of his message was wrong too, but I wouldn't be able to live my life without what he did.

Last edited by brianinc-ville; 04-26-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 09:33 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I had the opportunity to work on a project with John once. I wrote an account of it here:

From ECI to PCI: A Tribute to John Forester - IPMBA
Old 05-01-20, 10:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
I was never particularly impressed by his output here. He generally failed at online debate.
Old 05-06-20, 12:42 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Why did he think cycleways were bad? Sound interesting, though the part I always dread is not the lane but the intersections where people slamming through a red or tearing off on a right turn as soon as the light turns or sideswiping you on a right turn are always a possible problem.
Old 05-13-20, 04:49 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Oh man, I could have gone to his funeral.
Old 05-13-20, 04:55 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I did disagree with Forrester, I believe cyclists should be able to use main roads, but with convex or wide angle rear-view mirrors, video cameras, LED Lighting of equivalent lumens or luminosity to equal “legal” motorcycle lighting, loud horns, fairings to withstand “dooring”, LED turn signals, and maybe a few other things I forgot; but all tied in with enforcement, to get the buzzing, coal rolling, bottle throwing butt bunnies off the road. ... ahem.
Furthermore, I believe in a few traffic control protocols found in railroad “CTC” installations, and the V2V transponders, when those become available.
Everyone else, the elderly, women and children, handicapped, skaters, etc, and anyone who doesn’t have the $12,000 to spend on the aforementioned electronics package, should have available MUP’s or Bike Lanes.

Sorry if I sound rude.
I will miss John Forrester and his expression of his viewpoint, may he Rest In Peace.
The irony is that if real self driving cars ever come to exist... they will have all that fancy electronic stuff you mention and will preserve the cyclists rights to the road.

The impediment to VC was always the mindset of the motorist that "cyclists don't belong."
Likes For genec: