Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help comparing bikes to find something like the Quick 4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 06:43 PM
Synmag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I wrote this up when I signed up and decided to wait until 10 posts to be able to include the links. I figured after spending the time writing it I might as well post it. I have come to the realization that I want another Cannondale Qucik. I looked at Specialized Sirrus and the Trek FX however the Cannondale still looks like the best fit for me all things considered. Having said that I'm open to any other suggestions. I have come across some other brands on Kijiji that I never heard of before that seem to be just as good like Marin/Devinci/Scott. I read an article on the top 20 bike brands to buy worldwide. Some are just not as popular here in Canada as the big four available in most bike shops (Giant/Trek/Specialized/Cannondale).

Original post:

I have been very happy with a Cannondale Quick 4 for the past 10 years. Unfortunately, it was stolen and I need to find a replacement. With the way things are big bike shops i.e. Sportlinglife have no bikes except for electric. I was wondering if I might get opinions on some locally available bikes to see if they match up with my quick 4.

Initially I used it for commuting but during the past 5 years I have been fitness riding most days of the week on average about 40km a day. I loved how the quick 4 handled on paved trails and I like to go fast.

The first issue is that I paid CAD$650 in 2011 and my store tells me that the same model would run me about CAD$1,400 today with inflation. On the Cannondale site I see two quick 4s listed for $850 and $925. Do the same models have lower equipment? Did he mean that to get the same equipment I'd have to go to $1,400? In any case here is a link to the specs of my bike: https://www.ridgewoodcycle.com/produ...4-130068-1.htm

I spoke with my insurance adjuster and he said they do take into consideration equipment as I have a "replacement value" policy so if a current higher model is equivalent they would cover it. Fortunately, they issue a cheque therefore a used bike is an option. It might be my only option in fact.
Currently I see two options on Kijiji/Craigslit. I would love to hear opinions on these two:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cruiser-comm...k-4/1506690844

https://toronto.craigslist.org/tor/b...149944584.html Edit: This turned out to be large so didn't go look.

The two biggest features I love about the quick 4 was the agility of the lightweight bike and the shifters, I think they are sram. I noticed that most bikes in the range have hydraulic disc brakes which I don't really need and I'm not sure if they are more of a pain to maintain vs. my regular brakes.

Thanks for any help, and if people are willing I'll link others that I see come up. Another thing I thought of was that since the quick 4 is considered to be a road bike with straight handles, would it make sense to look at road bikes and put a straight handlebar on it? Are the brakes/shifters etc. transplantable from a drop bar to a straight bar or is it too much trouble?