Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Wheelset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 11:27 AM
Brandofski

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Wheelset?

So i'm currently in the market for a new set of wheels for my bike. Im tired of swapping removing/installing tires just so i can do a gravel ride or road ride. It would make it much easier just to change the whole wheelset. I've started looking on craigslist/Ebay for a rim brake wheelset and am wondering if the size 700c is the same should it fit? some of the listings on those sites do not say a width. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-20, 11:36 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandofski
So i'm currently in the market for a new set of wheels for my bike. Im tired of swapping removing/installing tires just so i can do a gravel ride or road ride. It would make it much easier just to change the whole wheelset. I've started looking on craigslist/Ebay for a rim brake wheelset and am wondering if the size 700c is the same should it fit? some of the listings on those sites do not say a width. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
The rim manufacturer generally publishes rim information. You should try there if it's not on the website.
Old 08-01-20, 11:56 AM
Brandofski

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport Triple

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
The rim manufacturer generally publishes rim information. You should try there if it's not on the website.
Duh.... I sohuld've thought of that. Thanks
Old 08-02-20, 08:49 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If you know it's 700c diameter then the only other critical dimension is the OLD spacing. Common sizes are 126mm, 130mm, & 135mm. 130's being the most common for 7, 8, & 9 speed bikes. Also make sure the rim width is appropriate for the tires & fork spacing.

OLD being over locknut dimension or, the width between the bolts on the wheel axle.

Last edited by ramzilla; 08-02-20 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 10:03 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Width

If you don't get the same width, changing over may not be as easy as you think, though likely easier than changing a tire. You might need to reposition brake pads and even cable clamp with each change. Also don't be surprised if you need to tweak the RD indexing when you make the change, even if you do get the same width.

It's still a good idea, just don't be surprised if it takes 15 minutes or so...