Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My Trek Dual Sport 6

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

My Trek Dual Sport 6

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 06:49 PM
ozzyski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Trek Dual Sport 6

So my favorite bike out of my collection my dual sport started out life as a 2. Then I started thinking about upgrading it, and i made a thread for ideas and after riding for another year in a completely stock version, my vision of my ds is coming together. So far, I put on a rockshox paragon gold rl fork. Yes they cost 260, but they are worth it. Ive had a noticeable increase in speed along with a far more comfortable ride. Its worth noting that my steerer is 1/2" taller than the oem sr suntour fork. Going up from their, I put on a pair of chinese handlebars with a riser to see if i like the feel of it. They were 28$ and for a feeler I think they are awesome. The grips, im gonna end up changing out because the final goal for the bike is for it to be 24 pounds. For my saddle, im very comfortable with the bontrager aeolus comp saddle. Its a 155mm width and my privates are free of numbing finally. Moving backwards towards the drivetrain, I purchased a IXF crankset from amazon to convert it to a 1x setup. Im using still the oem cassette derailleur and chain and i plan to upgrade them to a lighter package i just dont know what yet. I put on a generic 38t chainring and a guard for the days I use my ds to commute to work. With the 38t ring and oem cassette, i dont run out of gearing until im doing 35+ mph. Thats rare for where i live in the Poconos and im gonna leave the 38t ring on.Pedals are fookers, they are rip off of race face chesters but when i bought them, they were 18$ and the green adds nicely to the trek. The whole point of this thread is to share my experiences and seek some advice. I will be going tubeless the next time I catch a flat, but before i make that conversion, I would like some tire recommendations from the members if possible. My focus on this bike is going to be 99.9% road riding. Secondly, what should I do with the drivetrain? Remember the goal is for the bike to be less than 24 pounds. Its currently sitting at 27 even with a large frame. I have some spare shimano slx parts laying around, 11-46t cassette and an 11 speed shifter. I will be replacing the following in the soon or near distant future, a carbon bottle cage, I will be doing a set of carbon cranks (also some input which to choose since i do not know anything about them), and lastly a pair of bontrager aeolous carbon wheels. Some people may think dumping this much money into a 600$ is a complete waste and I will agree with you. My reason for doing it is simply because I want to, its my most ridden bike by far. I also have a cannondale trigger 3, and a scott addict 30 in the arsenal. To those curious, I will post links below to the upgrades Ive done. And pictures of how my project is coming along.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 chain guard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 chain ring
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 crankset
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 handlebars
https://www.amazon.com/FOOKER-Compos...03&sr=8-1&th=1 pedals
https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-parg-rl-a1 rockshox fork
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 seat post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 grips

Last edited by ozzyski; 06-09-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 04:05 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Secondly, what should I do with the drive train? The goal is for the bike to be less than 24 pounds. Its currently sitting at 27. My focus on this bike is going to be 99.9% road riding.
Carbon wheels might give you 2lbs. An Ultegra crank and cassette might get you another pound. But that fork! For road riding? Go with a carbon fork without suspension components. Otherwise, you might get another pound from a carbon frame or lighter aluminum frame variant.
Old 05-21-20, 07:13 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The fork is there because i do like to use this bike off road as well from time to time in a flowly trail. It also helps with the horrible pot holes around here. The cranks themselves, would a carbon set be lighter than ultegra?
Old 05-28-20, 02:12 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Got a new part in, and it shed almost half a pound for 20$. Purchased a set of odi lock on grips and replaced my ergon gp5's. Biking is now coming in at 26.5 pounds. After visiting world wide cyclery since I just so happened to be passing by, a carbon crankset and a bottom bracket would put the ds at 25.8 pounds for a little less than 300$. A better pair of pedals like issi thump pedals and now we are 25.5 pounds. If what pcunite said is true, with carbon wheels, we will be at 23.5 pounds and the goal is 23!
Old 05-29-20, 07:08 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzyski
Got a new part in, and it shed almost half a pound for 20$. Purchased a set of odi lock on grips and replaced my ergon gp5's. Biking is now coming in at 26.5 pounds. After visiting world wide cyclery since I just so happened to be passing by, a carbon crankset and a bottom bracket would put the ds at 25.8 pounds for a little less than 300$. A better pair of pedals like issi thump pedals and now we are 25.5 pounds. If what pcunite said is true, with carbon wheels, we will be at 23.5 pounds and the goal is 23!
It helps to get real weights and run some numbers. For every component, there is a sweet spot of price vs weight after which each grams costs more and more to remove. For my last mild-weenie build, I created a spreadsheet with prices and weights of every component.

For example, Al wheels are available at 1550g for about $400; how much more do you have to spend to save how much weight? Run some numbers. Carbon cranks are great for squeezing out the last grams, but did you know that your stock seatpost weighs 440g? a $100 thomson weighs 210g, and a Ritchey Superlogic comes in at 130g. Don't neglect items like a spidered cassette. You might hit 24 lbs without carbon wheels and cranks.

Is Aelous (sp?) available in QR?
Old 05-30-20, 04:29 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
It helps to get real weights and run some numbers. For every component, there is a sweet spot of price vs weight after which each grams costs more and more to remove. For my last mild-weenie build, I created a spreadsheet with prices and weights of every component.

For example, Al wheels are available at 1550g for about $400; how much more do you have to spend to save how much weight? Run some numbers. Carbon cranks are great for squeezing out the last grams, but did you know that your stock seatpost weighs 440g? a $100 thomson weighs 210g, and a Ritchey Superlogic comes in at 130g. Don't neglect items like a spidered cassette. You might hit 24 lbs without carbon wheels and cranks.

Is Aelous (sp?) available in QR?
Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a carbon seat post @ 140 grams. Can you post some links to wheels? For the stem I want to stay blender from bontrager since I commute sometimes at 11pm and I use my light in those situations. And the saddle clamp isnt a quick release

Last edited by ozzyski; 05-30-20 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 05:36 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Thanks for the info, I ended up getting a carbon seat post @ 140 grams. Can you post some links to wheels? For the stem I want to stay blender from bontrager since I commute sometimes at 11pm and I use my light in those situations. And the saddle clamp isnt a quick release
Fulcrums are nice, this sale is over but you get the idea. I recently got these, and like the quick engagement; weight is acceptable. EA70AX is a bit cheaper. If you're set on carbon, the EC90AX is 1500g. These have good reviews but I've no experience with them.

Carbon is sensitive to crushing, so if you don't have a torque wrench, you should get one (for the seatpost).

Last edited by DorkDisk; 05-30-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 03:27 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Installed my seat post today and bike dropped .4 pounds putting me at 26.1 now. Next upgrades will be cranks or wheels. If I see an aluminium set for 400 or less that weighs 1550 grams or so, sold!
Old 06-02-20, 06:31 AM
DorkDisk

Installed my seat post today and bike dropped .4 pounds putting me at 26.1 now. Next upgrades will be cranks or wheels. If I see an aluminium set for 400 or less that weighs 1550 grams or so, sold!
.4lbs from one component is a great weight savings.

I'd recommend getting wheels first; they weigh more, cost more, and more weight can be saved. Spend as much as you can on wheels to get the best for your needs as wheels are the most important part on a bicycle. Don't forget new tires, always get foldable; and get a spidered cassette.

For carbon cranks, I like the Cinch system; it is light, stiff, creak free, and shifts well. I have the road/gravel version and am really digging it.

Its not a bad idea to sink more into wheels and keep an Al crankset; the weight savings are about 100g but the cost is very high. Tools to install them are pricey as well, so keep that in mind.
Old 06-02-20, 01:07 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
.4lbs from one component is a great weight savings.

I'd recommend getting wheels first; they weigh more, cost more, and more weight can be saved. Spend as much as you can on wheels to get the best for your needs as wheels are the most important part on a bicycle. Don't forget new tires, always get foldable; and get a spidered cassette.

For carbon cranks, I like the Cinch system; it is light, stiff, creak free, and shifts well. I have the road/gravel version and am really digging it.

Its not a bad idea to sink more into wheels and keep an Al crankset; the weight savings are about 100g but the cost is very high. Tools to install them are pricey as well, so keep that in mind.
Can you give me 2 sets of wheels to chose from? Your insight is valuable. As for tires, I want to run a 32mm road tire, and be able to put on my 29x2.0 for offroad. Not sure what wheels can accommodate that. Secondly, I can use either 8 or 11 speed drivetrains.

Also what are some cassettes? Only spidered I know are 8 thirteen component.

As for those cranks, just because they have green im sold on them.

Last edited by ozzyski; 06-02-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 03:30 PM
Gangplank
Back-to-the-Bike

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ooh shiny. I’m thinking about a similar build with my DS1.
Old 06-09-20, 09:33 AM
DorkDisk

Can you give me 2 sets of wheels to chose from? Your insight is valuable. As for tires, I want to run a 32mm road tire, and be able to put on my 29x2.0 for offroad. Not sure what wheels can accommodate that. Secondly, I can use either 8 or 11 speed drivetrains.

Also what are some cassettes? Only spidered I know are 8 thirteen component.

As for those cranks, just because they have green im sold on them.
On top is an 8sp cassette with the four largest steel cogs riveted to an Al carrier with spider arms. The bottom casstte is a loose steel cog cassette, which weighs more and is not as stiff in the largest cogs.

8 speed cassettes with spiders are not made anymore, but they are available from 9sp and up. The higher tier models will have them. SRAM cassettes are compatible, and a good option sometimes as they offer different combinations.

Old 06-09-20, 10:40 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Very nice, tasteful upgrades, Oz. My DS is pretty original: still ~30-lbs., but nice; and I'm fortunate to have lighter bikes. Otherwise, I like the DS enough to have invested in lowering The Weight. Enjoy the re-building and especially your DS riding.
Old 06-20-20, 12:19 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just as an update, just purchased an xt drivetrain, managed to return my slx cassette and for a few dollars more, why not? When these parts come in and I put them on, ill post an updated pic.
Old 07-20-20, 03:55 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bike in its current form. Shimano xt drivetrain installed.

Likes For ozzyski:
Old 07-22-20, 05:19 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
What is that water bottle holder made of? Plastic weighs almost nothing.
Old 07-22-20, 05:52 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Take the wheel reflectors off to save weight and improve looks
Old 07-23-20, 05:07 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
What is that water bottle holder made of? Plastic weighs almost nothing.
I have 2 plastic cages that came in yesterday that I will be putting on.
Old 07-23-20, 05:08 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Take the wheel reflectors off to save weight and improve looks
Something about wheel reflectors makes me very happy as I watch them spin in my shadow
Old 07-31-20, 02:13 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Something about wheel reflectors makes me very happy as I watch them spin in my shadow
Haha! Its good to hear you are enjoying your bike! The build is looking good.
Old 08-08-20, 03:26 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So how much have you put into the bike if you don't mind me asking. I have a DS2 that I won't be riding on trails anymore (bought a mountain bike) and want to make the DS2 more road friendly or simply trade it in for a road bike.
Old 08-17-20, 04:48 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
So how much have you put into the bike if you don't mind me asking. I have a DS2 that I won't be riding on trails anymore (bought a mountain bike) and want to make the DS2 more road friendly or simply trade it in for a road bike.

Roughly 1300-1400$
Old 08-17-20, 07:54 AM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Roughly 1300-1400$
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking I may trade in the bike, probably stop by the LBS and see what they think. On the other hand, it would be a good learning experience to upgrade the bike myself, if I can find the parts..... or a bike.... well, I have plenty of time to think about it.