Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tandem adaptor adult bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-07-17, 09:46 PM
flik9999

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey so basicly my girlfriend can't ride a bike, and refuses to learn so we have to get busses and tube whenever we go somewhere together. Does anyone know if the thing you use to attach a kids bike to an adult bike works for 2 adult bikes?
Old 01-07-17, 10:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
There area few options. some will add more then I mention- Tandem bike. Single bike with trailer. Cargo bike with back seat. Side hack.

My first suggestion is a tandem. But a reluctant partner is a large issue and must be respected. Andy
Old 01-07-17, 10:08 PM
flik9999

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also could a tag along be adapted to adult size simply by moving the handlebar position further forward and putting a super long seatpost in the thing?

In regards to a trailer is it legal to just put her in the trailer when we go somewhere? Do I need a special typre of trailer to carry a passenger?
Old 01-07-17, 10:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Let me add to Andrew R Stewart's list Perhaps a pedicab or cycle rickshaw.

However, I would encourage you to approach this as a partnership. Either you cycle together, or you don't at all. Hauling a GF around will get old quickly (unless you are running a pedicab as a business to... still, don't haul her around).

So... that leaves:
  • She learns to ride.
  • Trike (including recumbent tadpole and delta trikes).
  • Tandem
  • No riding together.
Talk with her and see what her issues are.

I used a coupled "afterburner" to help my 8 yr old nephew learn to ride, and think it helped a bit. But, I think it would be extremely unwieldy for carrying an adult. Fortunately there are many relatively cheap tandems available.

There is quite a bit of discussion about removing the pedals, and starting with a low seat and a "push bike", just to get used to coasting and steering. I had never tried it with kids, but I've seen a few kids crashes. Anyway, even adults can learn to ride a bike.
Old 01-08-17, 08:31 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
My wife rides maybe 0.5% of what I do. I have tried a variety of things, including nice tandems (she does not like being a stoker at all) to increase the number miles we can do together.

I think small wheels and step thru frames are attractive to the non-cyclists. Certainly the bike must fit her well and she likes it.

If it were in my budget I would love to see if the bilenky viewpoint would get her to go on long rides with me.

Bilenky Cycle Works

You might post/search the tandem forum for your unique request.

Search articulated tandem.

Last edited by zebede; 01-08-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-08-17, 08:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Even if you find something that works, like an adult-size "Tag-Along" or a suitable tandem, are you sure your girlfriend is willing to use it? Many people don't like hard physical activity under any circumstances and her refusal to ride may be the result of that attitude. Be sure it will be accepted before you spend any more time or money.

My wife never learned to ride a bike as a child and I made the mistake of trying to teach her when we were in our 40's. It didn't work and it would have been a ticket to divorce court if I had persisted. Teaching our teen age kids to drive was a piece of cake by comparison.
Old 01-08-17, 11:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My first suggestion is a tandem. But a reluctant partner is a large issue and must be respected. Andy
Ditto. I've tried to get my wife on the back of a tandem and she's refused. This despite many thousands of miles riding together in all sorts of conditions.

Best of luck.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-09-17, 01:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm....
As I mentioned, my nephew had a tough time learning to ride, and both I got an Allycat Shadow, and his mother got something similar for a little practice/experience.

After I finally got him riding. I thought it would be fun to try a tandem, that would give us greater freedom (I could ride a half a day, anywhere, busy streets, over hills, etc). But he absolutely refused to ride it, and did everything he could think of to be annoying. Perhaps it was a mental block due to the tag-a-long, but he considers the tandem a little kid's toy bike.
Old 01-09-17, 01:35 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
At some time in the past there was available a manufactured adapter to connect two adult bikes by removing the front wheel of the back bike and attaching the fork to the rear axle of the front bike. This made a three wheel tandem with independent drivetrains. It was said to work especially well for people new to tandems.
Old 08-12-20, 07:44 PM
paulmalva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zebede
My wife rides maybe 0.5% of what I do. I have tried a variety of things, including nice tandems (she does not like being a stoker at all) to increase the number miles we can do together.

I think small wheels and step thru frames are attractive to the non-cyclists. Certainly the bike must fit her well and she likes it.

If it were in my budget I would love to see if the bilenky viewpoint would get her to go on long rides with me.

Bilenky Cycle Works

You might post/search the tandem forum for your unique request.

Search articulated tandem.
This might be a bit late but did you ever get to try the Bilenky View Point?
My wife likes biking but doesn't feel confident when navigating traffic.
The Bilenky is working really well for us.
It's so nice to be able to talk all the time and she has a great view.