Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat to Drop Bars on a Sirrus

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 07:46 PM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I'm wondering what it would involve to switch from a flat bar 8 speed to a drop bar 8 speed with brifters? I really love the riding position of my Sirrus but really would like drop bars and shifters. Hand positions on the flat bar are limiting. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 05-05-20, 06:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackman61
I'm wondering what it would involve to switch from a flat bar 8 speed to a drop bar 8 speed with brifters? I really love the riding position of my Sirrus but really would like drop bars and shifters. Hand positions on the flat bar are limiting. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Give specs on the current drivetrain and brakes. Hard to give advice without knowing that.
Old 05-05-20, 08:47 AM
Hackman61

Bikes: Matte black 2017 Specialized Sirrus, 2019 Salsa Journeyman, 2013 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Good point. It has a 3x8 Shimano Altus with trigger shifters and your standard V-brakes. 11-32 cassette, 48/38/28 front rings.
Old 05-05-20, 11:59 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Easiest thing would be to get it setup with cantilever brakes and Claris brifters. Depending on the crank and derailleurs the front shifting might be tricky to setup. I had a sirrus that I put drop bars on and it was a great bike.
Old 05-05-20, 01:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by clasher
Easiest thing would be to get it setup with cantilever brakes and Claris brifters. Depending on the crank and derailleurs the front shifting might be tricky to setup. I had a sirrus that I put drop bars on and it was a great bike.
Does that frame have stops for canti cables?
Old 05-05-20, 01:08 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Does that frame have stops for canti cables?
I used a tektro fork crown cable hanger and something like this doo-dad on the seatpost collar but I don't think it was the tektro model. Surly makes a slick little thing that can go onto an existing seatpost clamp. My bike got stolen a while ago so I don't remember the exact configuration.

Mini-v brakes are another way to go but I found them to be even more finicky to setup than cantis. I might have been using the wrong length of mini-v with my brifters, they come in a few slightly different sizes for that reason.
Old 08-12-20, 11:49 PM
StormGoth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a more than valid question

I'd just use it as a frame/wheelset and go 1*11: SRAM Rival 1 brifters (136€), Rival 1 rear derailleur (85€, better seals than Apex), a chinese crankset (love the zrace stuff, 750gr incl. BB: 70€) and cassette (11-46), either mini-v or (If you have disc brakes) just give it a try with the current brakes.
Even cheaper would be to go all chinese: get a sensah grx set for 220€, brifters, rear derailleur, cassette, chain, crankset and bottom bracket included, add a nice drop bar (i want to try the Rose gravel thing, the only one i know with front sweep) and some bar tape (Decathlon, 6€ or ordered from China).
If you are able to mount it on your own it's 270-360€, still cheaper than to get a new gravel bike and a lot of these fitness bikes have a gravel/endurance road geometry, esp. Serious used the same frame as their Roubaix bikes for the Sirrus in some years.
Old 08-13-20, 05:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

One thing to keep in mind is that putting drops on a frame meant for a flat bar will push you hand position much farther forward.
Old 08-13-20, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
This ^^^ ... Making a shorter stem part of the shopping..
Old 08-14-20, 06:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Another option to consider is Trekking bars, which have many of the same advantages of drops but are compatible with your current brakes and shifters. If the reach is too long (which it may well be, as the Sirrus is designed for flat bars), you can mount the trekking bars backwards. We just did this on my wife's Sirrus.
Old 08-14-20, 08:27 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
The front derailleur will not work. For some reason that has never been clear to anyone, Shimano uses a different actuation ratio on MTB vs road front derailleurs, so the front brifter won't index correctly. No, there is no rational reason for this, even if Shimano engineers have a 300 page engineering document explaining why they had no choice. It's always been this way, and it's always been stupid, and they'll never change it.

V-brakes and brifters is a problem, but it's a solved problem. There are adapters, and they work.

Your stem will probably be the wrong length and angle. Drop bars fit very differently. Nobody ever gets this right on the first try, so start with a cheap stem.

Nothing else should need to be changed.

--Shannon