Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a new wheelset!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Need a new wheelset!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 07:49 PM
LowSpeedAero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a new wheelset!

A poor college boy is in search of a new wheelset! Finally have enough money buy proper wheels, currently running the stock, might heavy deep section wheels that came with my bike when I bought it. My budget is around $350 usd. I would prefer the rims to be black. Thanks for the help. I was previously looking at the Miche Pistard WR wheelset.
Old 08-11-20, 09:52 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Check out the closeout / sales prices at Velomine.
Not all their wheel sets are priced at $350 or less, but some are.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-11-20, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A College town without a bike shop is an anomaly..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-12-20, 12:15 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
I second this. I have bought from them and they have some really good deals nearly all the time. If you don't see exactly what you want on their website, reach out to them. They are nice folks.
Old 08-13-20, 09:47 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
My fixed road bike got so much more enjoyable to ride when I relaced the Phil Wood track hubs to Mavic Open Pro rims instead of Velocity Deep Vee rims. Light rims and fixed gear goes together nicely because being not in perfect gear ratio a lot means difficult acceleration and deceleration of the wheels if they are heavy. The Open Pros ride so much more smoothly than the Deep Vees also. Buy as light yet still durable rims as you can afford. Open Pros work for me. I have them on 3 bikes. Miche Primato hubs laced with DB spokes on Mavic Open Pro rims is about the least expensive wheel set I'd enjoy riding.
Old 08-15-20, 08:41 AM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lakerat
My fixed road bike got so much more enjoyable to ride when I relaced the Phil Wood track hubs to Mavic Open Pro rims instead of Velocity Deep Vee rims. Light rims and fixed gear goes together nicely because being not in perfect gear ratio a lot means difficult acceleration and deceleration of the wheels if they are heavy. The Open Pros ride so much more smoothly than the Deep Vees also. Buy as light yet still durable rims as you can afford. Open Pros work for me. I have them on 3 bikes. Miche Primato hubs laced with DB spokes on Mavic Open Pro rims is about the least expensive wheel set I'd enjoy riding.
The new Mavic Open Pro's are fantastic, and one of the nicest rims I've ever used. I had them on my Mr. Pink until I sold them laced to DA hubs and I couldn't compliment them enough. A 100% upgrade over the dated versions. They have a nice wider internal width than Archetypes, too. Eventually I'll build up the disc version.
Old 08-15-20, 12:15 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I've had good luck with Velomine wheels before, Retrogression has some decent offerings too. I'm currently running H+Son Archetypes to Gran Compe hubs that I built myself -- 'tis a good setup. RG has them for 325 and they build wheels a lot better than me.
Old 08-15-20, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Not really closeouts or sales they are just wheels from JBI, a distributor dealing in a great deal of lower tier stuff but with some excellent surprises of quality. They can order as many as needed so long as JBI has them.
Old 08-15-20, 06:53 PM
crankholio

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
You could try the custom wheel builder at Ben's Cycle. Should be able to configure a nice set for under $350.
Likes For crankholio:
Old 08-15-20, 10:33 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not really closeouts or sales they are just wheels from JBI, a distributor dealing in a great deal of lower tier stuff but with some excellent surprises of quality. They can order as many as needed so long as JBI has them.
The wheel set I bought from Velomine was a closeout, marked down to $599 from $699, after it had been previously marked down to $699 from $899.
Old 08-16-20, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
QBP has wheel builders too, using any hub & rim in their warehouse, then ships to your LBS

Order thru your local ,with a QBP account..
Old 08-16-20, 06:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
The wheel set I bought from Velomine was a closeout, marked down to $599 from $699, after it had been previously marked down to $699 from $899.
That is how they make the sale. Their stuff is one of those always on sale but I can probably get that same wheelset normally from JBI pretty much anytime.
Old 08-17-20, 04:40 PM
jimmyodonnell

Oh so THAT'S how they make the sale