Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 08:48 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Assuming that you have the Bontrager Mirrcycle, couldn't you simply slide the Isozone grip along with the brake lever/shifter slightly inwards allowing just enough space to install the bar ends? It would then be a matter of inserting the mirror end cap into the shaft, torqueing down the bar end clamp, and attaching the mirror with the end bolt.

https://www.mirrycle.com/wp-content/u...ish-german.pdf
Old 08-08-20, 10:31 AM
SwannyBC

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Assuming that you have the Bontrager Mirrcycle, couldn't you simply slide the Isozone grip along with the brake lever/shifter slightly inwards allowing just enough space to install the bar ends? It would then be a matter of inserting the mirror end cap into the shaft, torqueing down the bar end clamp, and attaching the mirror with the end bolt.
This is what I ended up doing. My concern is that the mirror end cap is very short and fills only about half the width of the bar end clamp, so the clamp is half on the mirror end cap and half on the Isozone padding. Maybe this is safe. I don’t know. But the adapter you are supposed to use to install bar ends on Isozone grips/bars uses a plug that is much longer than the mirror end cap and maybe half a centimetre wider than the bar end clamp. I assume they made it that way for a reason, ie. to make sure the bar ends had a full metal base to clamp onto. I have had that mirror pop out once already before installing the bar ends. If it popped out again the bar end on that side would come loose, which could be disastrous if I was going with some speed, ie. down a hill.
Old 08-08-20, 11:41 AM
BlueStingray

Bikes: 2013 Trek FX 7.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joining in

Hi, glad to discover this thread (but having a bit of trouble getting a post accepted for some reason). Anyway, here's my 2013 7.4 in Azusa, CA, just outside Los Angeles. Love this bike. The drivetrain is so smooth and quiet...

Well... it seems I cannot post a photo after all... (added this after post getting rejected for the 3rd time...)

I will make the pic my avatar for now...

Last edited by BlueStingray; 08-08-20 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 05:26 PM
SteveD51

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have not but it looks like a winner to me. It has some lower gears for climbing than the 5 or 6.
Old 08-11-20, 01:26 PM
CalebPlewe

Bikes: Trek 7.1 FX, Giant OCR3

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Question The FX Heirarchy

I've noticed so many unique bikes with the FX badge! I tried researching the line, but not even Trek's website could give me a straight answer. What is the difference between all the 7 series variations (7.1-7.9)? Is it just a difference in quality? I have a 7.1, does that fall on the top or bottom of the totem pole?
Old 08-11-20, 01:31 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by CalebPlewe
I've noticed so many unique bikes with the FX badge! I tried researching the line, but not even Trek's website could give me a straight answer. What is the difference between all the 7 series variations (7.1-7.9)? Is it just a difference in quality? I have a 7.1, does that fall on the top or bottom of the totem pole?
If I recall correctly, they abandoned the "7.x FX" naming convention as of the 2017 model year in favor of the simpler "FXx" badging. In both cases, higher is nicer.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 09-04-20 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-11-20, 01:54 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
If I recall correctly, they abandoned the "7.x FX" naming convention as of the 2017 model year in favor of the simpler "FXx" badging. In both cases, higher is nicer.
That is correct; 2016 was the last year for the 7.x FX and 8.x DS.

2017 went to FX 1, FX 2, and DS 1, DS 2, etc.

Trek's archives website is pretty helpful here: https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017
Old 08-16-20, 06:49 PM
cb5107

Bikes: Trek FXS5 and Rumblefish 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CalebPlewe
Whether the name is 7.1 FX for for FX-1, etc, the 1 is the first bike in the series. Unless is there is a 7.0. As you move up in quality components, the number increments. 7.1 > 7.2 > 7.3 etc getting more and more expensive as you go.

A 7.2 FX will have some upgraded part or parts compared to the 7.1 FX. The series does not go all the way to 7.9 FX (or 9) some years. Generally, as you move up the range, the derailers are upgraded, brakes are upgraded, you start to get Carbon forks or Full Carbon frames, and the wheels are upgraded at some point. Generally speaking, a 7.6 FX bike will be lighter, have better wheels, and better components than a 7.1 FX.

The trek archives are a good way to study this. Pick a year and look at the specifications for the different bikes.

A 7.1 FX is a fine bike and should serve you well. I have owned a few 7.2 FX bikes and they were similar to the 7.1s and lasted me a long time. If you don't see the need for a higher spec bike, you likely don't need it and should not pay extra for it.
Old 08-17-20, 10:35 PM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello .

what the widest tires I can put on the fx 4 sport carbon 2021?
Old 08-19-20, 10:59 AM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I saw a picture on Facebook of an FX4 with 40c Trek GR1 gravel tires on it.
Old 08-21-20, 10:29 PM
diehard66

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 2005 Trek FX 7300,1986 Bianchi Trofeo, 1986 Atala Corsa, 1975 Huffy Strider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello everyone. I'm an FX owner myself and stumbled on this forum today while doing some research about disc brakes. I have ridden for years... for most of my life it seems as I've always had a bike and ridden as much as possible. About 4 years ago I bought a 2016 FX 7.4 in the orange "Firebrand" color. It's a beautiful bike and when I'm allowed I will post some pictures. It replaced my 2005 FX 7300 which had a lot of miles on it and is well loved. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride it much due to some family issues and time passed as it sat in the garage. This year has seen a lot changes in my life, some of which is due to the pandemic, and I am finally able to get out riding again. I'm glad to be riding and getting re-acquainted with my new bike. It's a funny thing to say that it is new when it's already 4 years old. I went to look at the new FX models on Trek's website. The lineup sure has changed a lot. I kinda wish I needed a newer bike as I would love to get the FX Sport 4. Love that gun metal color. Every now and then I see a street bike pass me on the green way. The rider is all dressed up in matching spandex and I think, that used to be me but I love the serious but relaxed feeling the FX delivers. It's such a pleasure to ride. I hope I can be a contribution to this group. Reading all the posts it would appear you all are nice and chatty group. I like that!

In case y'all were wondering:
2016 FX 7.4 accessories include: Garmin Edge 520, a kickstand (I know shame on me), an orange pair of Candy egg beater pedals (I don't remember how I ended up with these but I got them for the 7300 and they look better on the Firebrand), and a saddle pack under the seat. The rest for the most part is stock. Oh, and one blue water bottle holder because for some reason the bike only has one mount for water bottles???
2005 FX 7300 accessories include: Sigma Sport BC1200, a kickstand (to each his own), the pedals from my FX 7.4, a Cannondale saddle pack. Shortly before I stopped riding I replaced the rims and tires.

Most of my riding is on greenway trails these days as I'd rather not get run over. The area I live in has a been re-paving and re-lining the streets to include bike lanes now, but that doesn't make me feel any safer. I've been considering the Garmin radar light that urbanOrange has. It looks like that could make me feel more confident on the road.

I do have some questions which I will save for a later posts. I definitely appreciate all the topics and pictures over the years of this forum. I've learned a lot and feel like I've gotten caught up on the FX lineup.
Likes For diehard66:
Old 08-24-20, 10:20 AM
TrekWarMachine

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
I just ordered a 2021 Trek FX 3 Disc, Large, Rage Red at my local bike shop on Friday, I'll keep you posted on when it comes in (the computer system said April 2021). It will be replacing my 2005 Giant Sedona...LOL!
Old 08-24-20, 11:09 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine
I just ordered a 2021 Trek FX 3 Disc, Large, Rage Red at my local bike shop on Friday, I'll keep you posted on when it comes in (the computer system said April 2021). It will be replacing my 2005 Giant Sedona...LOL!
Did you really order a bike that has an expected delivery of 8-months from now or did I miss something......? I know it can arrive earlier too but WOW!! I hope you were able to haggle a discount on something you bought there (the bike, accessories) because that's a long time to wait for a new toy!
Old 08-24-20, 11:39 AM
TrekWarMachine

Originally Posted by sh00k
Did you really order a bike that has an expected delivery of 8-months from now or did I miss something......? I know it can arrive earlier too but WOW!! I hope you were able to haggle a discount on something you bought there (the bike, accessories) because that's a long time to wait for a new toy!
Yes, it's the Bike Boom of 2020, what can you do? While I'm waiting, i'll be riding my 2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 , but I'm sure it will come earlier!
Likes For TrekWarMachine:
Old 08-27-20, 10:47 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bontrager Hardcase?

Originally Posted by Old Spice
Hey guys quick question hoping someone can give me a suggestion, I've got a Trek FX 1 Disc I've been tooling around on since covid hit and I'm on like my 5th flat tire, last one was a piece of glass embedded. I'm thinking screw these stock tires I'm looking to upgrade. What tires would you pick if you were me???
If you are using exactly the same tires as originally came on your FX1, they weren't Bontrager Hardcases. The tire is an "H2", which is code for, I suppose, a tire made for a 'hybrid' bike. Hence the "H". If you want a Trek Hardcase with an "H" tread, you can get one, but it appears from their website, that you would wind up with a tire that has a reflective stripe on the sidewall. That, for me, would be a turnoff. That said....

All the FX's except the 1's come with Hardcases. I have an H2 hardcase on my own FX1; after a blowout destroyed my old rear tire. No issues, since, on that wheel with some thousands of miles on it.

It's interesting to me that all the FX's except the 1 seem to come with "R1" Hardcases.... Basically they are road tires, with the kind of treadless tread you would expect on such a tire. If that's ok with you, and if you are just doing road riding, then, you might consider that tire, given it will fit your rims. THAT would be a question I'd be asking my Trek dealer before trying any switch.

I suppose others might disagree. My son is a fan of gatorskins, but he rides a high end road bike. Nonetheless...
Old 08-31-20, 01:44 AM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Something is very wrong here. I don't ride Trek, but I ride with a bunch of guys that do. Your bike shop
must be doing something wrong or all adjustments could have been done in a single visit (my opinion).
Perhaps you should try another mechanic.
Old 09-04-20, 03:48 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueStingray
Hi, glad to discover this thread (but having a bit of trouble getting a post accepted for some reason). Anyway, here's my 2013 7.4 in Azusa, CA, just outside Los Angeles. Love this bike. The drivetrain is so smooth and quiet...

Well... it seems I cannot post a photo after all... (added this after post getting rejected for the 3rd time...)

I will make the pic my avatar for now...
i think you have to have 100 posts before adding pictures to them
Old 09-06-20, 01:44 PM
Mluisgr81

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please bare with me if this is a silly question,
but I’m wondering what’s the largest tire you can fit on a carbon fx 4 sport (2021 model)? More importantly, can the fx (sport 4 specifically) handle farm roads (mixture of gravel/dirt/ruts)? I’m an avid mountain biker, and have an Ibis Ripley for those duties but was looking for a bike where I’d ride our town road loop, which is about 80-85% road and the remainder farm roads. Would the farm roads compromise the carbon fx frame or should I not worry? I’m not concerned about getting bucked around a bit on those roads, just worried about the bike. For comparison, there is the dual sport, but I’m not interested in that bike bc I want something that performs better on the road. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-09-20, 08:38 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Yesterday I placed a deposit on an FX 3 at the LBS, and it looks like I had good timing. Looks like the price went up from $799.99 to $849.99.

So when I first asked about placing an order for an FX 3, in Dnister Black, I was told the estimated delivery date would be second half of April 2021. The guy then said if I wanted Rage Red they had one scheduled to come in around the middle of next month. I preferred the black but the delivery date was a no brainer.

I am thrilled at the chance to get back on an FX. Back around 2014 I bought an FX 7.2, and soon after 7.4, and the wife and I rode them. After I learned that I enjoyed riding way more than she did , and wanted to go farther and faster, I bought a Cannondale CAAD 10 road bike that I enjoyed for a couple of months until I crashed it in the rain on steel grating. After that I took time off after not being able to clear the mental hurdle of the crash. Then about 6-7 months after the crash I decided I would like to ride a hybrid again, no more group riding. I bought a Cannondale Quick Speed 1. It was nice but due to work I didn't have the chance to ride and I eventually traded it in towards a mountain bike. Fast forward 5 years to late March 2020 and working from home due to Covid-19. I started riding my mountain bike 3 times a week, 10 miles per ride. I still do the 10 mile route on weekdays since I have to work, but on the weekend I do a longer ride. Two Saturdays ago I rode 30 miles. After a failed attempt to buy some tires that would convert my mountain bike to something closer to a hybrid, I went all in for the FX 3. And I am absolutely thrilled at the thought of being back on a Trek FX bike!
Likes For prime winner:
Old 09-15-20, 10:38 AM
TrekWarMachine

Update - Great news! I was able to pick up my bike today (2021 FX 3 Disc - L - Rage Red), 3 weeks after pre-ordering (instead of April 2021). I only got it early because I saw last Friday on Trek's website that they had one in stock at another store (but same chain bike store owner, as they have 8 locations in my state, only 10 miles away), so I called to confirm they had it, then they transferred it to the store I pre-ordered from. The paint job is amazing! I also bought a Starvos wave cell helmet to go with it. I was a little bummed that it came with the H2 Comp tires, instead of the H2 hard case lite tires as listed on Trek's website. Can't wait to get out and ride this thing! New bike day!
Likes For TrekWarMachine:
Old 09-16-20, 12:48 PM
prime winner

Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine
Update - Great news! I was able to pick up my bike today (2021 FX 3 Disc - L - Rage Red), 3 weeks after pre-ordering (instead of April 2021). I only got it early because I saw last Friday on Trek's website that they had one in stock at another store (but same chain bike store owner, as they have 8 locations in my state, only 10 miles away), so I called to confirm they had it, then they transferred it to the store I pre-ordered from. The paint job is amazing! I also bought a Starvos wave cell helmet to go with it. I was a little bummed that it came with the H2 Comp tires, instead of the H2 hard case lite tires as listed on Trek's website. Can't wait to get out and ride this thing! New bike day!
Congratulations! I think you got my bike by mistake (I put a deposit on an FX 3 - Large - Rage Rage last Tuesday). That sounds odd that the tires were not the spec tires.

Enjoy your new riding toy !
Old 09-17-20, 08:53 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

I'd argue that the bike shop owes you the hardcase light tires.

Originally Posted by prime winner
Congratulations! I think you got my bike by mistake (I put a deposit on an FX 3 - Large - Rage Rage last Tuesday). That sounds odd that the tires were not the spec tires.

Enjoy your new riding toy !
I think I know your bike shop. If, indeed, the tires mounted weren't hardcase lights, they were paid for and the bike should have them. And if they won't do it, a letter to Trek corporate would be in order. There's a reason why the hardcase tire is so much better than what came on the bike. And it ain't just a puncture that delays you on the road/trail.

I had a glass cut that took out both tire and inner tube. Long trek (pun intended) hoofing it home. When I took the bike to the shop (this was before it was bought out by that unnamed guy), the owner said the hardcase should be on all bikes. They are a touch more costly but very well worth it. Moreover, if you look at the actual specs for the FX line, If I'm not mistaken, the version of the hardcase they are mounting is the "R" version and not the "H" version - The same tire as is on the Damone... for all but the lowest end FX. I'm guessing this is because they recognize that just about all riders keep their FX bikes on pavement???

Nonetheless, if it is, indeed, so that the bike came with H's, and not R Hardcase, I think there is a case to be made that Trek make it right.
Old 09-17-20, 09:24 AM
prime winner

Originally Posted by raymellott
I think I know your bike shop. If, indeed, the tires mounted weren't hardcase lights, they were paid for and the bike should have them. And if they won't do it, a letter to Trek corporate would be in order. There's a reason why the hardcase tire is so much better than what came on the bike. And it ain't just a puncture that delays you on the road/trail.

I had a glass cut that took out both tire and inner tube. Long trek (pun intended) hoofing it home. When I took the bike to the shop (this was before it was bought out by that unnamed guy), the owner said the hardcase should be on all bikes. They are a touch more costly but very well worth it. Moreover, if you look at the actual specs for the FX line, If I'm not mistaken, the version of the hardcase they are mounting is the "R" version and not the "H" version - The same tire as is on the Damone... for all but the lowest end FX. I'm guessing this is because they recognize that just about all riders keep their FX bikes on pavement???

Nonetheless, if it is, indeed, so that the bike came with H's, and not R Hardcase, I think there is a case to be made that Trek make it right.
It did not happen to me, it happened to TrekWarMachine (I'm still waiting on my bike).

I am curious as to which bike shop you think may have done this to me though. Info info or clues?
Old 09-17-20, 09:53 AM
raymellott

I think I spoke too soon.

Originally Posted by prime winner
It did not happen to me, it happened to TrekWarMachine (I'm still waiting on my bike).

I am curious as to which bike shop you think may have done this to me though. Info info or clues?
The shop I trade at is one of a chain of about 20 in the region where I live. Yours is 10? Sorry.... All the best.
Old 09-17-20, 10:46 AM
prime winner

Originally Posted by raymellott
The shop I trade at is one of a chain of about 20 in the region where I live. Yours is 10? Sorry.... All the best.
The shop I ordered from is a single shop and has been open since 1961.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.