Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires... How wide will my rims allow them to go?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-15, 06:34 AM
part_robot

Bikes: 2015 Synapse Di2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I have a 2010 Langster with what I believe to be Mavic rims (I can't tell the model as I stupidly removed the stickers a few months back). It currently has 23mm tires but I'd like to go up to 28mm to help with the pot holes in London. Is there a way to work out the maximum tire width they will allow? The rims are distinctly narrower than those on my Synapse (which takes 28mm easily) so I'm not sure.

Thank you!
Old 05-05-15, 06:38 AM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 180 Posts
You're going to run into frame/fork/brake-caliper clearance issues before you need to worry about what the rim will handle.
Old 05-05-15, 06:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
+1,

The limiting factor on tire width is almost always one or more of these three, and rarely the rim. You can increase tire width by the amount of vertical clearance, or twice the side clearance. However you need to allow for variance in tires, and the fact tha they tend to stretch a bit as they age. Also leave some room on the sides to allow for a wobbly wheel, though you can work very close to the brake. (one of my bikes has brake/tire clearance on less than 1mm)

BTW - since you asked about it, here's a chart showing optimal tire widths for various rim widths. Note there plenty of fudge room to either side.

Rim widths are inside width, tire widths are overall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ETRTOSchwalbe.jpg (45.6 KB, 34 views)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-05-15, 07:14 AM
part_robot

Bikes: 2015 Synapse Di2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect, thank you both Really useful - especially the chart