Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 06-10-20, 09:59 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, Peugeot Prestige, Alan corsa (frame only), 90s Prophete , previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse, Peugeot Neuilly, Hercules steel city, 60s(?) PON Dutch bike, Enik

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan View Post
These early track machines, pistas, etc. do fall in the category of this thread actually. If you scroll back you will see some other ones posted....so post away. Even some of the 1930's track bikes would fit in....and sometimes I include early velodrome posters just to vary it up. By the way, Eighties to mid-Nineties Concept bikes also fit in....a lot of them tend to be pursuit, crono, track, whatever you want to call it. Even the steel Japanese track bikes from recent times sneak in because they fit the look. I would recommend avoiding modern carbon though....but not vintage carbon. The guidelines were spelled out in the first thread but they are not written in stone. A little variance or a few exceptions keeps us all out of straight jackets..ha ha........

Now as to this gold plated bike....this one is nice. Sometimes it looks overdone and tacky, but not in this case. The objection I have to gold is also that sometimes it flakes off and looks terrible. Not all the time .....depends on quality of plating job. Anyway nice bike.

And I always try to include a new picture to keeps the troops entertained:

Like the red center fade disc wheels...something different. Nice bike too.

And here is the twin road bike. It is nice to include the twin when you can...so there yah go....another exception! They prove the rule....don't yah know......
Stelbel is no joke by any means. TIG Welding is usually not the words giving a huge heart rate to vintage bike lovers - rather the opposite. But this is exactly what made them famous.
Everybody manufacturer can buy quality parts, many of them could draw a good looking bike. But why I dislike mass produced bikes is the welding, sadly also on some big name models. I understand, that ugly weld scars are the price the thin-pocket guys have to pay in order to be able to pay for the name, but still. Thousand times an old affordable quality bike, than a modern spaceship with ugly welding. But its just me being me, plus I didn't want to go by without praising the Stelbels - they deserve it. It is interesting that the brand was resurrected by the Cicli Corsa Classico guys in close collaboration with Stelio Belletti himself. It sounds a better happy end, compared to mammoth companies are buying formed big names for their far-east productions.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 06-10-20, 10:42 AM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 185 Posts

An interesting picture that uses total urban decay as a backdrop. Those are prototype Campy hubs. Just something to tide you over.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-10-20, 10:48 AM
VintageTTfan

I need to see more Chesini TT bikes.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-10-20, 10:50 AM
VintageTTfan

Here is an obscure one for yah.....

Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-10-20, 10:54 AM
VintageTTfan

It just happens to be red.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-10-20, 10:59 AM
VintageTTfan

Nice frame with less common paint scheme for Colnago. I like the handlebars but some hate these. They are expensive now. They only work on certain bikes though. The disc wheel color is unfortunate here for some reason.....these wheels look cheap here.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 06-10-20 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-10-20, 11:09 AM
VintageTTfan

I complained and like magic they immediately fixed it. Here in TT Land being king has its benefits.......

These Campy disc wheels are much much better than the ones in the previous post. I love the gilco tubing.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-12-20, 09:30 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 85 Posts
Old soldier back on the road

Very 1980s paint job on my old funny bike. It had lain in the shed covered in crap and crud. Cleaned it, rust converter, clear coat, bit of touch up enamel and waxed.

The 75mm front forks make these funny bikes very narrow.

AX Shimano just reached the 520 mm rim.

Aero post looks the biz

Amazingly tiny front fork. The tire is 20mm wheelchair tire.

Put a Sugino 144 BCD crank set and ring on the front. Been lying around for decades. Goodness new Sugino has gotten ridiculously expensive.

Done tens of thousands of miles on this bike flat out. Still the most comfortable bike I have every ridden at speed . Now need to lose a lotta weight to do the old campaigner justice.

This is the Dura ace mech that allows you to remove the mech without opening the chain. If u look and the bottom jockey wheel (that is metallic) you might discern a small catch and plunger that opens the cage. Like the AX it didn't catch on for many good reasons.

AX first generation.

In traffic on the open road you need a brake on the aero bars

Last edited by Johno59; 06-12-20 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For Johno59:
Old 06-12-20, 02:09 PM
VintageTTfan

Originally Posted by Johno59 View Post
Very 1980s paint job on my old funny bike. It had lain in the shed covered in crap and crud. Cleaned it, rust converter, clear coat, bit of touch up enamel and waxed. The 75mm front forks make these funny bikes very narrow. AX Shimano just reached the 520 mm rim. Aero post looks the biz Amazingly tiny front fork. The tire is 20mm wheelchair tire.

Put a Sugino 144 BCD crank set and ring on the front. Been lying around for decades. Goodness new Sugino has gotten ridiculously expensive.

Done tens of thousands of miles on this bike flat out. Still the most comfortable bike I have every ridden at speed . Now need to lose a lotta weight to do the old campaigner justice. This is the Dura ace mech that allows you to remove the mech without opening the chain. If u look and the bottom jockey wheel (that is metallic) you might discern a small catch and plunger that opens the cage. Like the AX it didn't catch on for many good reasons. AX first generation. In traffic on the open road you need a brake on the aero bars
Hey Johno59, I love this post. I think it is very cool that you have put thousands of miles on this bike at full speed. I love hearing stories of people using lo pros. I like how you fixed up this English (I believe) bike and especially how you put stripes on the cool seat post and chain ring. I rarely like self done paint jobs but this would be an exception. It looks creative and cool. Well keep postin and may you have many more thousand of miles on this bike.

And I always try to include a picture in every post:

Love the wheels and the saddle and the handlebars, heck I really like the whole thing.....very cool.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 06-12-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 02:32 PM
VintageTTfan

Here is a larger picture...love this thing and the colors....

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 06-12-20 at 02:38 PM.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-12-20, 03:23 PM
VintageTTfan

Okay.....here it comes rapid fire posting.............

Gorgeous bike...love the AMBROSIO on the rear wheel. Even the handlebar tape is cool here. Love this thing.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-12-20, 03:26 PM
VintageTTfan

For those that like simple blue....love the gold bar wrap....it pops here....and the bar plugs....love the make insignia ones like this best.....
Old 06-12-20, 03:34 PM
VintageTTfan

the one above.....rare one have not seen.....

Great make on a lot of lo pros and one pista. For your comparison.
Old 06-12-20, 03:40 PM
VintageTTfan

An exception for the KILLER wheels. The bike is sooooo nice though. Look at that frame...and that lovely saddle........wow.....
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-12-20, 03:44 PM
VintageTTfan

A simple and nice bike. Look at that gorgeous seat post......
Old 06-12-20, 03:54 PM
VintageTTfan

Here is something extremely cool and unique that I thought I would never see....Kalavinka sneakers......boggles the mind that it exists in the Universe....but this is the wonderful TT Universe after all......

Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-12-20, 04:04 PM
VintageTTfan

Psychedelic.....don't have a flashback......
Old 06-12-20, 04:06 PM
VintageTTfan

More Trippin....
Old 06-12-20, 04:12 PM
VintageTTfan

Wooooooow.......ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS....if you don't like this then start collecting tricycles.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-14-20, 09:17 AM
VintageTTfan

One more Kalavinka for now.....this thing is SWEEEEEEET! The paint is just scintillating........with the rainbow reflection off the Japanese characters and the truly special head badge. Look at the crowns on the forks. This thing glows. Kalavinka seems to reach into the stratosphere of Japanese master frame making....just like the celestial bird creature it is named after.
Likes For VintageTTfan:
Old 06-14-20, 09:31 AM
VintageTTfan

Classic Peugeot time trial bikes are true rarities. Not many pictures of them exist. I would like to believe that most of them are shown on this blog/thread. The one below is a really nice one that is built up so nice and is all original I believe.

This build shows I believe while all original is almost always superior. Everything fits and looks like it belongs. Everything matches. Everything looks classic. The gorgeous mint condition Mavic rear disc wheel goes well with the blue frame and clicks with the gold bar tape. The saddle is pretty rare and very nice. The tires match and have pleasant sidewalls. Again, this is a very rare butterfly.
Old 06-14-20, 09:46 AM
VintageTTfan

Here is the full bike from the post I did recently. Just stumbled on it so nice serendipity. Love the green apple color with the red. This is a make of bicycle that is hardly ever seen I believe. Anyone that can track a history or prove otherwise...I would be impressed. Nice handlebar setup and disc wheels, although I hate extra stickers. And there is that fantastic crankset with the fantastic chain ring that I still don't have. And to make things worse ...counterfeits of this Stronglight have been showing up on Ebay. Shame for real on them.
Old 06-14-20, 09:56 AM
VintageTTfan

Well lets just say that I would not complain if this was my birthday present.

Old 06-14-20, 05:11 PM
VintageTTfan

Okay, here are a few comments. I have wanted to show this bike for a while. I always preach the gospel that it is the tiny details that mean the most. That is the era of Italian hand made craftsmanship. What grabbed me first was thus the incredibly cool and unique ladybug panto and head badge. I love these whimsical flourishes in fine bicycle making. Denti has a top notch reputation for fine machines. I love the blending of candy apple green and red on the Italian flag paint job too. Then there is the beautiful frame. The bar wrap just pops here! It is perfect for this bike of course. And it is all topped off with a classy white saddle that also fits here. As I have said TT Land will always be a vibrant colorful place.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 06-14-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 05:29 PM
VintageTTfan

Added some pictures to the above post. Here is a road bike so you can do a comparison. After there is some info on the make.

Love this chainring! "Mino Denti (born 5 February 1945) is a retired Italian road cyclist. As an amateur he won the team time trial event at the 1965 World Championships and placed third in 1966. Later in 1966 he turned professional and won the Tour de l’Avenir in 1966. In 1967 he turned pro with Team Salvarini, moved to Faema Team in 1968 and won Giro dell Veneto 1969 in SCIC jersey. After the crash at Giro d’Italia 1970 he finished his carrer and entered in a world of frame manufacturing and opened his bike shop in Brescia, northern Italy.

The Denti brand is affirmed in Italian cycling history as a guarantee of traditional craft with the passion for a totally custom approach. Mino Denti earned its reputation in top level framebuilding by hand-built meticulous and craftsman’s attention to detail. He was pretty advanced for his time

Here we are presenting Mino Denti’s masterpiece from the early 1980s – DENTI Master. The frame is a work of art, made of Denti’s self designed crimped Columbus SLtubing, featuring the perfection and attention to details for providing the best performance you might expect from early 1980s racing machines. Denti’s Master curved seat tube, crimps on each side of top-down tube and aero shaped fork are pretty advanced for it’s era. Only the best parts are good enough for such a masterpiece: Campagnolo Super Record groupset with pantograph shifters and chainring, pantograph DENTI Cinelli cockpit, Mavic GP4 rims, Concor saddle. Not many words needed. Iconic and very collectible."

Credit goes to https://premium-cycling.com/product/...-super-record/ I will add some commentary on the Italian colors TT bike too in a minute. Sorry this is all half ass backwards but that is how it goes.

Last edited by VintageTTfan; 06-14-20 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For VintageTTfan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.