Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comfortable seat

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Comfortable seat

Old 04-08-20, 11:18 AM
thequeen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfortable seat

Trying to figure out the best seat for an adult woman who likes to ride but hate to say it, one that doesn't irritate the vajj!
Any suggestions. Is a smaller skinny seat better?
Old 04-08-20, 03:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Your issue isn't that different from men's with their perineum. You need to find the seat type and position that works for you. I posted a few hours ago to a man riding (probably) a hybrid type with seat issues. I linked it below. My response is post #17 .

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ong-trips.html

Seats with a cutout or center groove might well be the best option for you. (I started riding them in my 40s when the seats I used to race and loved no longer worked. We are all very different, probably as different down there as our faces (no, not personal research but I look at what others ride and the variety is huge). So don't latch on to any seat advised by others as "the answer". That said, there is a woman's brand of seats that are excellent, the Terrys. Some of the earliest if not the first seats designed specifically for women's anatomy by Georgina Terry. (She also has a men's model that is basically the seat I used to race with a cutout. I believe still made by the same company that made my racing seats. Very good seats.

Take a look at the link above. Getting the seat right matters a lot! If your seat doesn't "disappear" keep searching. (But note that the answer might be a tweak of your existing seat's tilt, height or fore and aft location.)

Ben

Edited for a key typo
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-09-20, 01:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by thequeen
Trying to figure out the best seat for an adult woman who likes to ride but hate to say it, one that doesn't irritate the vajj!
Any suggestions. Is a smaller skinny seat better?
The kind of saddle you want partly depends on the type of riding you do. If you're on a racing bike, yeah, small & skinny will work. If you're on a bolt upright cruiser you'll want something wider. I've had great luck with Specialized saddles in the $45 -$60 range. I personally prefer a groove rather than a cutout, as it offers a little support for my lady bits rather than just leaving them bulging through a hole. Ben has some great advice. Check with your local bike shop; if you can get in, they probably have a little device to measure your sit bones so you can get the proper width.

I can't emphasize enough, stay far, far away from anything super wide and/or with a ton of padding. They are evil and should be banned. I was surprised as anything to discover I don't need much padding; not one of those hard racing saddles, but less than I thought I would. Be prepared to try several before you find the right one, and then buy three. It's a very personal piece of equipment, and the most frustrating to find.

Good luck and don't stop riding!
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-09-20, 01:30 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Let her try different seats, and see which she likes.

I suggest a large seat, so a larger area is supported. See is that is what she likes.
Old 04-11-20, 07:26 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
Several female riders I know love their Selle Anatomica leather saddles and highly recommend them. As others have said, it is a very personal choice and takes time to find the right one.