Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless or not?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 11:57 AM
tonymarch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I tried the Bontrager when it first came out, and I still couldn't get the bead to seat. That's when I gave up and switched back to tubes. I might try some of the options in this thread and see if they work.
Likes For tonymarch:
Old 05-05-20, 12:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymarch
I tried the Bontrager when it first came out, and I still couldn't get the bead to seat. That's when I gave up and switched back to tubes. I might try some of the options in this thread and see if they work.
This one?

It's been shown to have some of the best volume delivery of the available options. If it wasn't working, yeah, take a look at technique.
Old 05-05-20, 01:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
My LBS was finally able to inflate it. It took 3 guys holding different areas of the tires
Sometimes, that's what it takes. Luckily, it doesn't happen everytime.
Kudos to them for squeezing me in-between 2 jobs in this very busy time of year (especially with everything that's going on right now!).
Sounds like they deserve a six-pack as a bonus.
Old 05-05-20, 01:15 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sometimes, that's what it takes. Luckily, it doesn't happen everytime.

Sounds like they deserve a six-pack as a bonus.
I know, right? I thought of it, but buying beer at the store in the morning would have made me look like a drunk
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-05-20, 01:16 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by WhyFi
This one?

It's been shown to have some of the best volume delivery of the available options. If it wasn't working, yeah, take a look at technique.
This is the one I'm looking to buy. I've read good things about it. Cheaper than the other ones too.
Old 05-05-20, 01:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
I know, right? I thought of it, but buying beer at the store in the morning would have made me look like a drunk
No one will recognize you with a mask on ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-05-20, 02:11 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
come ride with me during the summer in AZ.

We are usually done by 9am, and buying beer alongside the basic tool-bags heading to the lake.
Old 05-05-20, 02:11 PM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
This is the one I'm looking to buy. I've read good things about it. Cheaper than the other ones too.
Yep, that's the one. It worked fine for seating a new tire. But once it was seated and had sealant in it, nothing worked for re-seating it after removal. I totally cleaned the tire and rim to make sure no dried sealant was messing up the seating. I had to take it to my LBS and have them mount it. And they could only mount it using a port coming directly off of their compressor. If they tried to use the ports located on the work benches (about 25 feet away), it wouldn't seat. Even they were baffled. That was the last straw for my tubeless experiment.
Old 05-05-20, 02:31 PM
WhyFi

Yep, that's the one. It worked fine for seating a new tire. But once it was seated and had sealant in it, nothing worked for re-seating it after removal. I totally cleaned the tire and rim to make sure no dried sealant was messing up the seating. I had to take it to my LBS and have them mount it. And they could only mount it using a port coming directly off of their compressor. If they tried to use the ports located on the work benches (about 25 feet away), it wouldn't seat. Even they were baffled. That was the last straw for my tubeless experiment.
That's odd. Brand-spankin'-new tires have always given me more trouble than previously seated tires - they've always gone back on pretty easily. Cleaning the rim was definitely the right move. If you also lubed up the rim/beads (giving the tire a pinch and wiggle all the way around to insure it's centered and slippery), and removed the core, there's not much else you could do to improve your odds.
Old 05-06-20, 06:51 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by noodle soup
come ride with me during the summer in AZ.

We are usually done by 9am, and buying beer alongside the basic tool-bags heading to the lake.
I am definitively keeping that in mind. Once COVID is over and we can start traveling again, I'll hit you up whenever I come to AZ. My next trip is LA so I won't be far!
Old 05-07-20, 06:07 AM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
This topic inspired a lot of passionate responses. It would seem to me that if you don't get many flats, stick with tubed tires. I'm in that camp. Just don't want to mess with it at this point.

I do have to learn a little about it as the Santa Cruz MTB I just bought came with tubeless tires, sealant, etc. So at some point I'll need to add more sealant and tackle the rim/bead challenge.

As for road, no way. Just going wider and keeping the pressure above 80 and below 90! Just put some 28s on my 'cross bike and road gravel last night. I had around 60 psi in them and they were perfect. No bottoming out on rocks, but some cushion to make the ride better. (If you're in the Boston area, try the Assabet River rail trail out of Maynard and go out to the wildlife refuge. There's some nice gravel roads to explore. Wider tires needed.)
Old 05-07-20, 07:09 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ridinginjeans
This topic inspired a lot of passionate responses. It would seem to me that if you don't get many flats, stick with tubed tires. I'm in that camp. Just don't want to mess with it at this point.
Well, yeah - that's the advice typically given by level-headed but ardent tubeless users. Some people seem to be able to go a full year with only one or two flats - if that's the case, I wouldn't use tubeless, either. My reality, though, even as a relatively low-mileage cyclist (typically 4000-5000 miles per year), is a minimum of 6-8 flats per year if I were still using tubes. When I factor in side-of-the-road hassle and tight ride windows, tubeless makes sense for me. But yes, everyone should do their own math to see if the equation balances out.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-08-20, 03:55 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I wanted to upgrade my wheels and decided to go tubeless primarily because of carbon rims. Got the Dura-Ace 9170 C40 on recommendation from a member here. Now waiting for my TL tires to get delivered.

Wanted to know if I could use a folding tire & tube? While I wait for my tubeless tires to arrive.
Old 05-08-20, 04:11 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
Wanted to know if I could use a folding tire & tube? While I wait for my tubeless tires to arrive.
That will work fine.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-08-20, 04:13 PM
WhyFi

Yup, no problem. There are some tubeless tire only wheelsets, but they're rare and typically hookless. The DAs will be no problem.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-08-20, 04:22 PM
sshakari

Yup, no problem. There are some tubeless tire only wheelsets, but they're rare and typically hookless. The DAs will be no problem.
thanks for reply.
if you are familiar with DAs, the rim has no tape & after reading the manual which also does not mention putting any tape - do I need tape?
Old 05-08-20, 04:28 PM
WhyFi

thanks for reply.
if you are familiar with DAs, the rim has no tape & after reading the manual which also does not mention putting any tape - do I need tape?
If there are spoke holes in the rim bed, you need tape. If not, you don't.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-09-20, 01:14 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
The standalone flash can is an excellent option too, to be used in conjunction with an existing road pump. Cheaper too. I own one and it is excellent.
Old 05-09-20, 05:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I never had problems mounting my tubeless tires, only seating them. I don't own a compressor and have no plans to buy one just to seat bike tires. Any other tricks people use to seat tubeless tires WITHOUT a compressor?
Mavic USTs. GCN has a video of mounting tires without levers and taking them off without levers. Pump up with a regular floor pump. I've done it. It's a breeze. Can't speak for other brands.
Old 05-09-20, 07:37 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
The standalone flash can is an excellent option too, to be used in conjunction with an existing road pump. Cheaper too. I own one and it is excellent.
I saw those at my LBS, but since I need a new pump anyways, it'll actually be cheaper to buy the 2 in 1. My cat also agrees with not having to turn on an electric air compressor inside the house.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-12-20, 04:23 PM
sshakari

I've now set up my tubeless and it was very straight forward and no complications in getting tires on and getting them to hold air. I got DA 9170 C40 and Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season tires.

I am wondering what do you carry on rides in the saddlebag?
Old 05-12-20, 04:59 PM
WhyFi

I am wondering what do you carry on rides in the saddlebag?
As it relates to flat, pretty much the same as before (pump, tube, tire lever, something to use as a boot), with the addition of plugs and insertion device (I'm using the 'bacon strip' type).
Old 05-12-20, 05:06 PM
sshakari

As it relates to flat, pretty much the same as before (pump, tube, tire lever, something to use as a boot), with the addition of plugs and insertion device (I'm using the 'bacon strip' type).
I was afraid of that!, I thought the tubeless self-seal? Shimano manual said that tire levers can not be used on carbon rims.
Old 05-12-20, 05:18 PM
WhyFi

I was afraid of that!, I thought the tubeless self-seal? Shimano manual said that tire levers can not be used on carbon rims.
I haven't had the occasion to use any of it in a couple years, but I still do because I don't want to make the call of shame, from 40 miles away, if I don't have to.

As far as levers... I don't know what to tell you. I have carbon rims and I use levers to get the tires off (I've never needed them to get a tire on), but if Shimano says not to use 'em... good luck?
Old 05-12-20, 06:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've ditched the spare tube on two bikes. I carry a 2oz bottle of sealant, a plug kit, 3 CO2s, and an inflator head. That's it. If the tire is cut so badly that it can't be plugged, I just don't feel like dealing with it on the side of the road.

Most of my rides aren't long enough to bother with carrying a load of extra stuff anyway. If it's an all-day or event kind of thing, I'm inevitably on the bike that has all manner of spares on it.

Question edit: Hey Shimano, how are we supposed to remove tires without levers? I've used levers on my carbon wheels dozens of times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.