Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

When do we see the impact of "Herd Immunity"?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

When do we see the impact of "Herd Immunity"?

Old 07-30-20, 01:54 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18556 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
The truly remarkable thing is that the meme author (and presumably the propagator) seems to have completely missed out on one small detail: the plexiglass is put in place to protect the cashier from the potentially infected customers, not the other way around. (The meme-people just assume the people put at high risk, enabling them to buy toilet paper and plastic junk with abandon, are disposable non-humans whose lives simply don't matter.)
....I knew we had turned some kind of corner here in my neighborhood, two Sundays ago. On my way back from the farmer's market, I passed a house down the street that had been TP'd.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-30-20, 02:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 11722 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
TODAY science is trying to create a vaccine, a vaccine for a virus that it does not completely understand SHOW ME ONE INSTANCE WHERE THAT HAS EVER BEEN DONE:
One virus causes different symptoms... Does everyone get the Flu (Influenza) the same? For me, it likes to descend into the lungs. Others get generalized malaise. And others get sinus infections. I can not remember ever having throbbing sinus pain. Yet, we've had influenza vaccines for decades.

How well was Smallpox understood when the first Smallpox vaccines started being experimented with in about 1796, as the USA was still in its infancy.

The Polio vaccine was developed in the 1950's, almost the same time the "Double Helix" was proposed by Watson and Crick, and long before there was any routine DNA sequencing.

The speed which COVID was identified and sequenced (repeatedly) is pretty extraordinary.

Don't forget, there is a canine coronavirus vaccine that is in use today. Different than COVID, but related.
Old 07-30-20, 03:02 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
One virus causes different symptoms... Does everyone get the Flu (Influenza) the same? For me, it likes to descend into the lungs. Others get generalized malaise. And others get sinus infections. I can not remember ever having throbbing sinus pain. Yet, we've had influenza vaccines for decades.see the 6 recognized symptom clusters > wg's link : these cluster all are a recognized COVID courses however you may be right that these are only matters of degree but the point is medical science still has not identified the origins of COVID nor has it figured out how & why its effects vary so widely > other than some SARS similarities the lab rats aint broke the code....YET

How well was Smallpox understood when the first Smallpox vaccines started being experimented with in about 1796, as the USA was still in its infancy. annnnd how long did it take for small pox herd immunity... ???

The Polio vaccine was developed in the 1950's, almost the same time the "Double Helix" was proposed by Watson and Crick, and long before there was any routine DNA sequencing. medical data indicates that there will be vaccines in limited amounts available in app 2 yrs but that type of usage is far removed from "herd immunity" and quality control is really really being ignored > consider the SV40 problems with SABIN and how any Covid vac would be far more complex in manufacture & delivery than the sabin vac

The speed which COVID was identified and sequenced (repeatedly) is pretty extraordinary. i agree to date BUT to date med science is still trying to crack the code and even after that the bio guys have to reduce it all to a form deliverable to you which will come in T I M E

Don't forget, there is a canine coronavirus vaccine that is in use today. Different than COVID, but related ...... I have a microbiologist bud that reminded me of this and I told him today i wish i was a dog
all im doing is shading your views with pessimism. i do this because i am very cynical about a safe vaccine coming from for profit medicine coupling with genetic experimentation in times where commonly used drugs are being recalled every day > VIOXX MERIDIA ACCUTANE ZANTAC
Old 07-30-20, 03:12 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 4316 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 516 Posts
If you want open source this is for you jack: https://radvac.org/wp-content/upload...-ver-2-3-2.pdf
Old 08-08-20, 05:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 105 Posts
Having mentioned him before, I note that Herd Immunity is running today in the Best Pal (GII) stakes at Del Mar. Post time in about 10 minutes. Currently 12-1 so few anticipate he'll impact the finish.
Old 08-17-20, 11:22 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 89 Posts

Scientists See Signs of Lasting Immunity to Covid-19, Even After Mild Infections

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/h...ntibodies.html
Old 09-05-20, 03:22 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 63 Posts
I know this is a hot topic and a lot of people get really hot under to collar, but most of it stems from people's biases or they truly are living in fear. If you're one of these people, don't read any further, just leave now.

We may be seeing signs of herd immunity in Sweden.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swedens-c...094007372.html

"Sweden has gone from being one of the countries with the most infection in Europe, to one of those with the least infection in Europe, while many other countries have seen a rather dramatic increase,” Anders Tegnell, the country's state epidemiologist, said at a press conference earlier this week.

According to numbers submitted to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Contol (ECDC), Sweden registered an average of 12 new cases per million people over the past week, compared to 18 for Denmark and 14 for Norway.

The number of deaths is currently averaging at two to three per day, down from the peak of over a hundred a day it suffered in mid-April. Stockholm, the centre of Sweden's pandemic in April and May, registered the lowest number of new cases since March last week. Denmark, meanwhile, registered 179 new cases on Friday, the highest daily number for more than four months.

This issue of covid is going to be very interesting to watch over the years as the controversies die down and truth prevails. One thing I remember reading about Sweden in the early days, is that they made the mistake (and they admit it) of not protecting their elderly population quick enough, especially those in old folks' homes. And that's where most of their deaths came from, not that they didn't lock down, rather they didn't protect the elderly enough. However, there seems to be another fact about why so many died; this is kind of a scathing report on Sweden, but I'm not judging just yet...However, I wonder why they didn't take the elderly sick to the ICU.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac.../#51ac56e869bd

The new analysis from researchers at Uppsala University in Sweden and the University of Virginia School of Medicine confirms this simplistic storyline, but also finds both silver linings and a potentially darker explanation for the pandemic’s death toll in the country.

While more people have died of Covid-19 per capita in Sweden than in many other countries, the outbreak of the disease did not crush the nation’s health care system and overload its intensive care units as predicted.

“Analyzed by categorical age group, older Swedish patients with confirmed COVID-19 were more likely to die than to be admitted to the ICU, suggesting that predicted prognosis may have been a factor in ICU admission,” the researchers write in a study published online for the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. “This likely reduced ICU load at the cost of more high-risk patients dying outside the ICU.”
Old 09-05-20, 03:33 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I know this is a hot topic and a lot of people get really hot under to collar, but most of it stems from people's biases or they truly are living in fear. If you're one of these people, don't read any further, just leave now.

We may be seeing signs of herd immunity in Sweden.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swedens-c...094007372.html
It's certainly possible Sweden might have developed some kind of herd immunity, but was it worth it? From the linked article:

Sweden has so far reported 5,832 deaths due to coronavirus, more than six times as many as reported in Denmark (264) and Norway (626) combined.
also:

Sweden is also still carrying out fewer tests per capita than Denmark and Norway, with an average of 1.2 per 1000 people at the end of last month, compared to 2.2 in Norway and 5.9 in Denmark.
Old 09-05-20, 04:51 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 148 Posts
The other issue is what happens to people who get covid and survive is unknown. What if we go for massive spread, and it turns out those who get it are susceptible to some form of lymphoma or some other serious ailment?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-05-20, 05:18 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
Scientist do seem to be getting a handle on the cause of all the weird symptoms from Covid-19, I think somebody linked from another post on here: https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63
Old 09-06-20, 05:40 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
It's certainly possible Sweden might have developed some kind of herd immunity, but was it worth it? From the linked article:
This is an interesting question. Why did some places experience such a high death rate? There were other areas, such as New York that experienced higher death rates, with a lock down, than Sweden and others that are mentioned in the article.

However, what I find interesting (and kind of scandalous) is that apparently Sweden didn't send their sick elderly to the ICU; I wonder how that would have changed the numbers. And it does kind of remind me of the current New York scandal with their nursing homes. https://apnews.com/212ccd87924b6906053703a00514647f