Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Kilo TT Sizing / Budget Single Speeds

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 05:20 PM
johnbobey

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Hello!

Forgive me if this is well-trodden ground, but I'm hoping for some clarification on the Mercier Kilo TT sizing. I'm a very predictable 61cm in Fuji bikes (had a Feather in XL=61cm and a Touring model that was a legit 61cm), but the BikesDirect site suggests I get a 57cm. I know geometry can be idiosyncratic, so I though this would be the place to get the facts.

Also, having mentioned the Kilo and Fuji Feather, does anyone have other suggestions for a quality single speed in the "budget" price range ($750 0r less)?

Thanks--I always get great advice on these forums!

John
Old 07-02-20, 08:07 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I would ignore Bikesdirect sizing guidelines, as they appear to be based primarily on stand over height, which is the wrong metric for judging how a bike will fit. I have bought a few Bikesdirect bikes over the years and always found their sizing guideline to be inappropriate for me. I am 6’1” with fairly normal body proportions.

If you are willing to do your homework on geometry and come up with accurate stack and reach calculations of what you own and what you are considering buying, you are much more likely to get the appropriate size frame than if you go by Bikesdirect guidelines.

You can make frame geometry comparisons here.....https://www.bikegeo.net
Old 07-03-20, 10:27 AM
johnbobey

Great advice--thanks!

Any thoughts on a sub-$750 single speed?
Old 07-03-20, 12:38 PM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnbobey
Any thoughts on a sub-$750 single speed?
Just a few:
  • Kilo TT / Kilo WT
  • State Bicycles 4130
  • Bianchi Nero
There are plenty of sub-$400 "entry level" options, but I don't think many people here would recommend them.
Old 07-03-20, 01:30 PM
johnbobey

Originally Posted by DrewShannon
Just a few:
  • Kilo TT / Kilo WT
  • State Bicycles 4130
  • Bianchi Nero
There are plenty of sub-$400 "entry level" options, but I don't think many people here would recommend them.
Yes, I've been looking around, and as we all know there's a crazy shortage of bikes these days (at least here in San Diego and from what I've seen online). The Kilo TTs have almost no sizes available--I'm also considering the All-City Big Block and Soma Rush. But again, finding one in my size is a challenge. I did see a Pake Rum Runner frame for a mere $249...seems like a deal?
Old 07-10-20, 07:16 PM
K3nz0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobey
Hello!

Forgive me if this is well-trodden ground, but I'm hoping for some clarification on the Mercier Kilo TT sizing. I'm a very predictable 61cm in Fuji bikes (had a Feather in XL=61cm and a Touring model that was a legit 61cm), but the BikesDirect site suggests I get a 57cm. I know geometry can be idiosyncratic, so I though this would be the place to get the facts.

Also, having mentioned the Kilo and Fuji Feather, does anyone have other suggestions for a quality single speed in the "budget" price range ($750 0r less)?

Thanks--I always get great advice on these forums!

John
When I was researching bikes, I read several folks on ****** a fixed gear thread say Mercier tends to run 2 sizes big. I ended up getting a Fuji Track. I wanted the feather, but couldn't find it. 5 weeks in with the Track and I really like it. Usually runs $450ish.