Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can't locate clicking sound

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can't locate clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 11:05 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 03:14 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
The OP seems to have vanished. Either he's solved his issue, or the diversity of answers from the BF crowd made his head spin.
Old 07-07-20, 06:20 AM
dkbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All

First, thanks for all the answers and I am sorry for waiting so long before answering. I have been away on a little holliday, so I could not test the bike. There is a lot of good suggestions, and I have summed them up here:

Saddle/seatpost noise

Testet when standing in the pedals without touching the seat/saddle. The noise still appears. So, I guess it is not the seat.

One legged pedaling

I have tried pedaling with one leg at the time, and the sound appears with both legs.

Clipless pedals

I use flats and tried changing to clipless. Same sound appears with both pedalsytems.

Kickstand

No kickstand mounted.

Stem/bar

The stem/bar is built in one piece with the cockpit. So theres no separate stem. But maybe I should try to remove the cockpit and reapply grease when mounting.

Ice cubes clinking in your water bottle

Hehe good one. But theres no bottlemount.

Crank arm to the spider

Removed it and applied grease. Same problem.

Spoke intersection

Applied grease to all intersections. Same problem.

Does it click in all gears? Both rings?

Yes, all gears both rings, same "volume" and frequency in all gears..

Check the chain

Changed the chain. Same problem.

Excess front derailleur cable

Theres no excess cable.

Things I need to try out the coming days:

Try to remove the cockpit and reapply grease when mounting

Wheel/quickrelease reapply grease

Rear derailleur remove parts and clean properly.

Does it click if you pedal backwards?

Does it click if stationary, brakes applied, pressure on pedals? I will try it in a hometrainer, and see if I can make the same sound.

Tube valve stems rattling in an alloy rim hole

Change the bearings if they are separate from the bottom bracket.

Bottom bracket

Replace cassette

Again, thanks for all the good suggestions. I will let you know when I have testet some more.

Have a great day, and what a wonderful forum you have here !
Old 07-07-20, 06:56 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Change out your bottom bracket..I'd guess your sound will disappear. Mine did.
This
Old 07-07-20, 11:04 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Loose chainring bolt or bolts?

Cheers
Old 07-07-20, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
One time I had a mysterious clicking sound that only occurred while pedaling. Turned out it was the FD cable crimp hitting the crank arm. Duh. The clue should have been that only happened when I was in the small ring.
Old 07-19-20, 07:48 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I'm going to vote with those that suspect the bearings in the bottom bracket 👍. I'm experiencing a similar noise on one of my bikes. It only reveals itself when increased force is being applied to the pedals i.e. accelerating an/or climbing. It doesn't occur with every stroke but can occur with the power stroke on either pedal. I'm guessing dings in the bearing cup and one or more of the bearing balls too. When a bad bearing ball hits the ding in the cup, it "clicks". I'm going to disassemble the bottom bracket bearings and have a closer look. I may replace with a sealed unit 👍 if I don't see any obvious damage.
Old 07-20-20, 12:22 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Many years ago, similar frustration with similar rebuilding.

Turns out it was the aglet on my shoelace hitting the bike on each revolution. Felt stupid.
Old 07-20-20, 01:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Change out your bottom bracket..I'd guess your sound will disappear. Mine did.
Gets my vote too as most likely. Remove, lube all interfaces/threads/splines lightly, then reassemble.
Old 07-30-20, 08:09 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I'm going to vote with those that suspect the bearings in the bottom bracket 👍. I'm experiencing a similar noise on one of my bikes. It only reveals itself when increased force is being applied to the pedals i.e. accelerating an/or climbing. It doesn't occur with every stroke but can occur with the power stroke on either pedal. I'm guessing dings in the bearing cup and one or more of the bearing balls too. When a bad bearing ball hits the ding in the cup, it "clicks". I'm going to disassemble the bottom bracket bearings and have a closer look. I may replace with a sealed unit 👍 if I don't see any obvious damage.
Well, my decision to disassemble, assess & repair or replace as necessary just got moved from "might do when I find time" status to "I have to do before the bike is ridden again" status 😳. While out riding yesterday, the "clicking" noise that had been occurring occasionally during the "power stroke" changed to a "grinding" noise occurring during the full rotation of the crank while under load 😬. Not a good sound, to be sure!
Unfortunately, I was about 15 miles from home! The grinding started while climbing a relatively short, shallow rise and diminished greatly once I reached the crest. I considered making a "call of shame" but decided that since damage, probably requiring replacement of most bottom bracket components, had most definitely occurred, I would "limp" home barring a complete lock up of the crank. Whether or not that was a good decision remains to be seen 🙄.
In a perfect world, the bearing surfaces of the spindle and the bearing cups have been spared and I'll only need to replace the ball bearings 🙂. I'm guessing tho that this is NOT a "perfect world" situation and full replacement (with a sealed unit) may be my best option. As mentioned at the start of this reply, the issue has been elevated to near the top of my "to-do" list. More to come 👍.
Old 07-30-20, 02:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Measure your spindle and get a sealed unit. They're inexpensive and they last a long time. Without yearly maintenance.