Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

How long are we going to continue to play like we can stop this?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

How long are we going to continue to play like we can stop this?

Old 07-11-20, 06:57 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
I agree. You really should be dead.
Wow! ​​​​​
Old 07-29-20, 09:10 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
It IS being managed in "culturally diverse large geographic" regions. Look around the world.

1. Countries such as France, Japan, China, Germany, Spain, Canada, Australia hardly qualify as "small locales".

2. But what exactly is your point about "culturally diverse"? I hope it is not a dog whistle. Do you mean having a large fraction of the population who won't abide by public health directives? And if you mean that, why is the U.S. so uniquely blessed with them such that other countries can do this well and we are completely unable?.

I could write more criticisms of your statement, but I'll try to keep the P&R out of this.

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I would be happy if we could do what Europe has done.
> europe is in full regression

Spain slams UK, Germany for advising tourists to stay away >>> any more COVID predictions

Old 07-29-20, 10:47 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 18649 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,587 Posts

Tracking covid-19 excess deaths across countries

...However, the most recent weeks of excess-mortality data in America should be interpreted cautiously. Some states take at least a month to process death certificates, which means that the initial numbers they publish for a given week are substantial undercounts, creating the false impression of “negative” excess deaths.
Old 07-29-20, 11:09 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 567 Posts
An odd coincidence - July 14th the order was put out that hospitals were to report new cases to HHS, not CDC. The graph of new cases has been flat since July 16th (roughly when the new hospital reports would started coming in) after rising steadily since June 16th.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-29-20, 12:06 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

California, Florida, Texas hit record-high average deaths

...so no, maybe we (the USA) can't continue to play like we can stop this. We seem to lack the desire in such a large segment of the population that the rest of us just have to go along for the ride.

Interesting Op Ed by Paul Krugman in yesterday's NY Times. This is going to turn out to be a defining life event for a lot of survivors, even if they remain asymptomatic.

The Cult of Selfishness Is Killing America

...the modern U.S. right is committed to the proposition that greed is good, that we’re all better off when individuals engage in the untrammeled pursuit of self-interest. In their vision, unrestricted profit maximization by businesses and unregulated consumer choice is the recipe for a good society.

Support for this proposition is, if anything, more emotional than intellectual. I’ve long been struck by the intensity of right-wing anger against relatively trivial regulations, like bans on phosphates in detergent and efficiency standards for light bulbs. It’s the principle of the thing: Many on the right are enraged at any suggestion that their actions should take other people’s welfare into account.

This rage is sometimes portrayed as love of freedom... What they call “freedom” is actually absence of responsibility.

We've seen it here in microcosm. Right on this obscure corner of the internet. So I presume it's widespread.
Old 07-29-20, 12:08 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

^^^^^^^^^
...AKA The Tyranny of the Minority.
Old 07-29-20, 01:58 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
^^^^^^^^^
...AKA The Tyranny of the Minority.
they may be a numerical minority in the 20-30% range but GEOGRAPHICALLY these white anglo saxon deniers represent over 90% of this country and that may explain why the virus is so widespread.
Old 07-29-20, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Aside from the compassion arguments being thrown around. The world is severely over populated and I just am not sure where I see even a couple of billion people not being here any longer bad for the one place we are known to exist. Nature has a way of balancing things, even when human interaction tries it's best to go another way. Whether we make it or not, and whether we leave it livable for what comes next, the dust will continue to circle our sun for a while, yet. We are living beyond the means of our world without turning our attention to what comes next. Nature (and or Chinese virologists) might fix that.

Sounds like you're an eager volunteer for self-sacrifice, then. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 07-29-20, 02:31 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I see this as a time that is going to leave scars at least as deep as Viet Nam did. Then, many of this countries young men came home to a country that did not welcome them and in fact, didn't even want to see them. Then there were those who didn't fight, but left the country of their birth. Those who stayed, knowing they would not enlist or submit to the draft. The huge anger that built up over our country's policies, the distrust of the "facts" that were presented

It is happening again only now it's not the young that are dying thousands of miles away but grand dad across town (for the privileged; in the bedroom for the less so.. Week long waits for test results that should come back in 24 hours. The words from high places? Even further from reality, And the racial inequities again. Then it was the draft that many whites easily dodged. Many of those who went were spared the most grueling fighting. Now it's the non-white communities that are getting hit far harder; have far higher losses, are supported with inferior, smaller and fewer hospitals.

Like before, the denial. It's going to go away. We're fighting Communism and saving the South Vietnamese. We're getting a handle on it. (True. Many caskets get several.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-29-20, 03:01 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 14046 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Well, that's the "official" storyline, anyway.
It's the real storyline. Only those with another agenda say otherwise.
Old 07-31-20, 08:03 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 428 Posts
The system is being overwhelmed again. Early in the summer, testing ramped up and therefore was able to capture the increase in infections around the country. As we all know, the rate of infections and the positivity rate both increased more than testing capacity, meaning that the increase in infection was very real.

Now, the infection rate continues to rampage, but testing capacity has not kept apace, resulting in catastrophic delays in the system. As has been widely reported, in many places test results take nearly a week to come back, greatly diminishing their utility. Further, as testing has become scarce, localities are again limiting access to tests to those who are symptomatic or otherwise have high priorities for testing.
The upshot is that the numbers of new infections we are seeing are more of an undercount than they were in early July. That contact tracing is useless, and that things are going to get worse in many places in August. The only possible positive sign is that mask wearing is getting more accepted.

And then schools open.

We're mostly f$cked.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-31-20, 08:12 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 428 Posts
https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/213362...results-delays
Old 07-31-20, 09:41 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 186 Posts
I'll just leave this here:
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 07-31-20, 09:51 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
That was sobering. Those camouflaged feds? That scene was filmed 9 miles from home. I wasn't there because if I get this disease, my housemate near certain dies. My heart was there completely. (Well, maybe not for the late night action, I"m not young anymore,)
Old 08-01-20, 12:07 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
The system is being overwhelmed again. Early in the summer, testing ramped up and therefore was able to capture the increase in infections around the country. As we all know, the rate of infections and the positivity rate both increased more than testing capacity, meaning that the increase in infection was very real.

Now, the infection rate continues to rampage, but testing capacity has not kept apace, resulting in catastrophic delays in the system. As has been widely reported, in many places test results take nearly a week to come back, greatly diminishing their utility. Further, as testing has become scarce, localities are again limiting access to tests to those who are symptomatic or otherwise have high priorities for testing.
The upshot is that the numbers of new infections we are seeing are more of an undercount than they were in early July. That contact tracing is useless, and that things are going to get worse in many places in August. The only possible positive sign is that mask wearing is getting more accepted.

And then schools open.

We're mostly f$cked.
>>> see post #144 : the reason that COVID is rampant in ameriKa is that america is not a homogenous society and even then it would need a singular mandated policy ... schools are being opened on an ad hoc basis ala B DeVoss and that means educational chaos by mid terms