Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Weird. Up until this post I was certain that itís IMPOSSIBLE to get wrecked on Coors Light.
The crazy X was a vampire to my bank account. Any thing was fun went to her when fun needed to die .
Old 07-18-20, 11:16 AM
Skullo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Iím just sick of those psychic vampires always trying to steal energy. I find cranking up Slayer to high decibels disrupts their place in space and time and they become very angry. They do the typical poltergeist antics like throwing items around basically throwing a supernatural tantrum. The aggressive angry music waves transcends the inter dimensional realms. The negative entities canít handle it. Works every time a ghost comes around looking for mischief.
Early Metallica seems to exercise most demons here.😈
Old 07-18-20, 06:53 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think there is a good chance we will have a vaccine by Christmas of this year, and we'll see cases start dropping. But, if not out by spring, it may be delayed until next fall.

Some communities like New York/New Jersey may be able to get the virus under control, in part because of the huge percentage of the population that have already been infected. Other states like Texas, Florida, and California may well get to a level of "herd immunity" by next summer if there is no vaccine.

And there will be an overall benefit to neighboring states if those that have that have the virus out of control now eventually get it under control, and less chanceof exporting cases.

Still, as others have said, if we don't get a vaccine, we'll be in this for quite some time. Summer 2022?
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
The 1918 flu pandemic lasted a few years before it was considered over. Depending on mutations, vaccines, effective acute illness treatments, etc., realistically we're looking at another 2-3 years before COVID-19 is "finished."

Judging from the data, healthy kids and young adults are at pretty low risk. They could resume normal life now... if not for the contact spreading to older and more vulnerable people. Grandparents. Patients of younger nurses and doctors.

I've already seen skepticism and denialism among nurses and doctors who believe it's a hoax or exaggerated, or that it can be treated with some voodoo potion and lectures about religion, patriotism and saving the economy. One of my friends who works in health care (with very vulnerable kids) breathlessly share the latest videos and blogs from these politicized denialist doctors. One would be bad enough but apparently there are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of doctors and nurses who don't take the pandemic seriously.

That's going to be the main risk to the vulnerable and elderly population. Even if they self isolate and ride this out, they'd still be at risk from younger medical practitioners who don't take it seriously enough.

If you're over age 60 or have comorbidities -- primarily obesity, diabetes, heart or lung disease -- you're pretty much on your own. The US will resume normal activities by early 2021, and probably sooner. The vulnerable demographic will be sacrificed through neglect to salvage the economy. As the economy collapses medical care for most COVID-19 patients over age 60 will be reduced to palliative care, not efforts at cures.
>>> so you voting for hoping against hope CliffK or the live & let die Cat
Old 07-18-20, 07:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post

>>> so you voting for hoping against hope CliffK or the live & let die Cat
I'm taking this very seriously. The health risks are very real... to older folks and those with comorbidities.

But it's literally killing the business ventures of some good friends. I don't want to see that happen. They've invested their savings, lives and futures into their one person or, at most, two person ventures. Things were looking good for them until the pandemic hit.

There are -- or were -- options. But we're running out of time to implement them effectively.

I plan to keep doing the same thing: taking care of myself and limiting my exposure risk, so I don't become another burden on a strained health care system. I've had some urgent care appointments this year but most non-urgent care appointments have been postponed indefinitely or handled via telephone.

But I'll admit it's probably easier for me than some folks. I'm a sociable hermit. I enjoy visiting with friends. I can also go weeks without seeing another human and I'll be just fine. I've always been that way, since I was a kid. If more older and vulnerable folks had my temperament and were inclined to self-isolate anyway, we'd all get through this better and the nation's economy would recover more quickly.

It's not that easy for some folks, regardless of age. My apartment complex is mostly older folks (at 62 I'm among the youngest) and many of them have continued socializing as usual. Only recently have a few worn masks while visiting or walking the common hallways (our apartment complex is built like a Holiday Inn, all interior facing doors -- great for energy efficiency, terrible for infection control). Amazingly we've had relatively few problems. I suspect it's because most folks here were already on Medicaid/Medicare and Social Security disability, so they already had reasonable access to decent health maintenance and a good diet, if they choose to eat well.

Judging from their Facebook posts, some of my younger friends are on the verge of nervous breakdowns. This has been extremely hard on them, between the limited opportunities for socializing, loss of jobs and income, being forced to go back to live with family or take on roommates, all while realizing they aren't even in the target demographic for COVID-19 deaths.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-18-20, 07:50 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 189 Posts
I'm taking this very seriously. The health risks are very real... to older folks and those with comorbidities.

But it's literally killing the business ventures of some good friends. I don't want to see that happen. They've invested their savings, lives and futures into their one person or, at most, two person ventures. Things were looking good for them until the pandemic hit.

There are -- or were -- options. But we're running out of time to implement them effectively.

I plan to keep doing the same thing: taking care of myself and limiting my exposure risk, so I don't become another burden on a strained health care system. I've had some urgent care appointments this year but most non-urgent care appointments have been postponed indefinitely or handled via telephone.

But I'll admit it's probably easier for me than some folks. I'm a sociable hermit. I enjoy visiting with friends. I can also go weeks without seeing another human and I'll be just fine. I've always been that way, since I was a kid. If more older and vulnerable folks had my temperament and were inclined to self-isolate anyway, we'd all get through this better and the nation's economy would recover more quickly.

It's not that easy for some folks, regardless of age. My apartment complex is mostly older folks (at 62 I'm among the youngest) and many of them have continued socializing as usual. Only recently have a few worn masks while visiting or walking the common hallways (our apartment complex is built like a Holiday Inn, all interior facing doors -- great for energy efficiency, terrible for infection control). Amazingly we've had relatively few problems. I suspect it's because most folks here were already on Medicaid/Medicare and Social Security disability, so they already had reasonable access to decent health maintenance and a good diet, if they choose to eat well.

Judging from their Facebook posts, some of my younger friends are on the verge of nervous breakdowns. This has been extremely hard on them, between the limited opportunities for socializing, loss of jobs and income, being forced to go back to live with family or take on roommates, all while realizing they aren't even in the target demographic for COVID-19 deaths.

That isn't the only problem, particularly in this country where simply getting healthy can ruin your life, financially. People are getting their COVID-19 hospitalization bills now....One guy had an 1,800 8.5x11" page itemized bill at about $1 million USD for treatment in the ICU.

Bankruptcy will ruin your credit for a good ten years. Anything that needs a credit check--you're not getting without a cosigner.
Old 07-18-20, 08:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11755 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 1,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
One guy had an 1,800 8.5x11" page itemized bill at about $1 million USD for treatment in the ICU.
How did the mailman get it through the slot?
Old 07-18-20, 10:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 805 Posts

Yup, I can be away from people for good periods of time and be fine. I donít mind talking to people on forums and I have been a semi loner since childhood. Not extreme I like socializing with friends over beer and bar b q so Iím not a total loner . My younger self would be going nuts ya know the music and the girl chasing stuff like that. Only good thing, if something like covid hitting now as Iím older I feel I can handle it much better.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-18-20, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 872 Posts
Same. I was married twice, had a couple of other serious relationships, chased a lot of women in my misspent youth. Got it all out of my system. The very thought of dating now just sounds awful. It would interfere with my bicycling time. And my cats wouldn't stand for it. I have three female bosses already.