Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from Hybrid to a carbon road bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-21-20, 11:30 PM
2Wheelforfun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi to the forum - my first post on this site. Hope to learn alot here.

I do 15 to 20 mile rides on my hybrids. One is a Scott, and also have a cheap, but solid Northwoods Springdale. Have been ready for some time to upgrade to high end road bike. Looking to do group rides of longer distance, but generally am focused on solo, endurance/fitness.riding.

Budget is $4,000 or less.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.
Old 07-21-20, 11:43 PM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Plenty to choose from in that budget, Some factors for you to consider as you do research: are you looking for a more 'relaxed, all day riding' geometry, like the Cannondale Synapse or Canyon Endurance, or a more aggressive racing geometry (like the Cannondale CAAD12, though I understand you're looking for carbon.
When it comes to brands, I would recommend picking out a good local shop and go for a brand they carry.
One last thing to keep in mind is that after years of promoting the troublesome pressfit bottom bracket, companies like Trek (new 2021 Domane) and Cannondale (Topstone) are starting to go back to threaded bottom brackets. Hallelujah! I'd make sure to get a bike with a threaded BB if I was going to spend this much money.

Happy shopping!
Old 07-21-20, 11:53 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not needing an all day relaxed bike. I will still ride my hybrid for "take it easy" rides.

I get friendly and helpful service and advice from a nearby bike shop. They are a Norco dealer, also Cervelo, Giant, Scott with excellent service department.

Thanks for your reply!!
Old 07-21-20, 11:56 PM
2Wheelforfun

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not needing an all day relaxed bike. I will still ride my hybrid for "take it easy" rides.

I get friendly and helpful service and advice from a nearby bike shop. They are a Norco dealer, also Cervelo, Giant, Scott with excellent service department.

Thanks for your reply!!
Old 07-22-20, 01:31 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
if you really want to spend 4k on a bike there is are to many options, you could start by nailing down exactly what you want the bike the do , for example i have crit bike that doeskin do hills , so i went out and bought a caad frame , built it as a tradition road bike so i could go anywhere , ive already put over 20k feet of UP in less than 2 months , i built from frame set for a specific purpose and i dint really spend a penny over what i needed , except on the damn paint i messed up twice and the cans take almost 2 weeks to ship in the covid19 cult era , anyway ,
once you have your specific purpose , you can then weigh how much you actually need to spend on what you actually need , bike shops and makers have become really tricky at selling you crap you dont really need , they might put mid range parts on a low range frame , or throw on some higher quality wheels because they got a back room deal with wheel makers to get more sales , so you really have to understand what exactly you will be expecting from the bike now as well as in the future .
if you have lots of money no problem but if you drop 4k on bike and over time get faster and stronger and want to do more and now your bike is holding you back or you are unhappy it makes you spend another 6k or 8k , i know plenty of dudes who bought 8k bikes with the credit card and cant even keep up with the JRs , they have 2k wheel sets and barely hold a 22 mph average in a practice crit , SO , its really your choice as to what you want to spend , do you want to drop that 4k on a bike shop pre build or maybe start from a frame set and take the hawkish approach and hunt for deals on parts , i personally will always start from a frame set unless i come across a bike being dumped by someone who bought it for the wrong reasons , i see that a lot too , and i usually swoop in on those deals to save cash and then sell the bike ,
but if you are really trying to spend 4k on a bike you still really have to watch out for the modern brand new bikes vs the older models , becuase they love to play consumer , some of the older models will be better , and have greater user feed back than the newer model , i think cannondale had a bike with a messed up head set and people where pissed because it was top of the line , some of the newer stuff is harder to customize and you will be stuck with a proprietary POS , and a lot of these warranties are being used to trap you to only getting the brand name parts or its void , there is a bit to think about but start with purpose because there is no higher reason to buy unless you just like spending mindlessly !
Old 07-22-20, 02:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
I think you should buy a Giant Revolt Advanced 0, because it's carbon frame, carbon wheels and Ultegra components. Under $4k. I would buy one for myself if it would fit wider tires, but for your purposes, I don't think you can go wrong. And if you get one, I'll betcha a dollar you sell your hybrid, cause the Revolt can be everything you need.