Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I get ?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-10-20, 05:03 AM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a ď gravel bike ď with drop bars - imo an awfully boring ride - I sold it.

I had a DS few years ago, was ok.

Iím looking @ the FX3 Disc - caught my eye as a bike I can do 40 miles on or cruise to the store.

So Iím looking for a solid fitness bike with road features but can also hit a pot hole and not explode the wheel.
Old 08-11-20, 08:07 AM
FM1178

Bikes: Trek Stache 9.7, Verve 2 & Checkpoint ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your plight to find a suitable hybrid reminds me of my own. I have had a Crosstrail, FX, Sirrus and a Toughroad SLR in the past. Currently, I have a ďgravel bikeĒ and a Verve. I agree with your comment about the gravel bike being boring. I mostly ride my mountain bike and mix in my Verve occasionally. The verve is ok, but being a low end hybrid with an aluminum fork, it rattles, has a lot of chain slap and has a harsh ride. Probably the best hybrid I have had was the Toughroad. The carbon fork and 50c tires def smoothed out the ride.

A lot of my problems might be my geographic area. I live in Tampa, FL. We have no bike paths, MUPs or rail trails to ride here. My closest bike trail is about 40 miles from my house. So, Iím literally riding on sidewalks or crowded car filled streets when I ride my gravel bike or Verve.

If LBSs can get any stock I might entertain another Toughroad SLR or maybe a Sirrus X 5.0.
Old 08-12-20, 11:54 AM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178 View Post
Your plight to find a suitable hybrid reminds me of my own. I have had a Crosstrail, FX, Sirrus and a Toughroad SLR in the past. Currently, I have a ďgravel bikeĒ and a Verve. I agree with your comment about the gravel bike being boring. I mostly ride my mountain bike and mix in my Verve occasionally. The verve is ok, but being a low end hybrid with an aluminum fork, it rattles, has a lot of chain slap and has a harsh ride. Probably the best hybrid I have had was the Toughroad. The carbon fork and 50c tires def smoothed out the ride.

A lot of my problems might be my geographic area. I live in Tampa, FL. We have no bike paths, MUPs or rail trails to ride here. My closest bike trail is about 40 miles from my house. So, Iím literally riding on sidewalks or crowded car filled streets when I ride my gravel bike or Verve.

If LBSs can get any stock I might entertain another Toughroad SLR or maybe a Sirrus X 5.0.
i love mtb I have a full sus Santa Cruz ... I hate gravel .. no clue why itís boring tho...

I had a verve ! Sold it ... because- the fork sucked.

but the FX has a carbon fork ... and reviews are stellar.

I had too much money invested in a gravel bike and I was lucky to able to get it back in sale.
The FX is under 1k - it might give me the perfect blend of fitness Road light trail at a reasonable cost that Iím looking for

truthfully I think gravel is a made up category in an industry that needed juice.
Old 08-13-20, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 798 Posts
Cool keep on truckin'

" fitness " is what the FX line from Trek means..

Their DS line is "Dual Sport" They are built around a front Suspension fork..
Old 08-15-20, 07:51 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I finally settled on two bikes - A Specialized Crosstrail, and a Specialized Sirrus.

The Sirrus is easier to go fast, and a lot of fun --- I like to ride it!

Buttttttt, The Crosstrail is the real workhorse, and more comfortable to ride!

I did a lot of swapping, to get what I want - added Brooks and Selle AnAtomica, rear racks to accept grocery panniers and tail trunks, Specialized Overendz bar ends, lights, and Specialized Ergonomic grips, lower ratio cassette on the Sirrus, and clipless pedals on both.

I put Planet Bike Hardcore fenders on both, to keep me and the bikes cleaner and drier! They have been great!

I left the 28mm tires on the Sirrus, because it is a go faster bike, but swapped the tires to Schwalbe Marathon Supreme on the Crosstrail, 35 mm on the front for quicker and more precise steering, and a 40 on the back for comfort and load capacity.

The Crosstrail, with these tires, is surprisingly easy to go fast, and is easier to carry more stuff. A great all around bike!

The Sirrus is also great, in different ways.

If I could only keep one, I think it would be the Crosstrail!