Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

specialized sirrus triple s

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 03:25 PM
noobrider90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
specialized sirrus triple s

so the bike seems to be in good condition. the only part i am hesitant about is that the person who owned it before me was running their front shifter cable around a piece of the frame with no cable guide. there is already a hole in the location by design.it is the cross member where the kickstand would go. but the wire running over it every time he shifted sawed some of it out and its rusting. is this detrimental to the frame ?is it worth trying to sell to someone who wants to fix it. should i fix it then sell it? trashcan?...i have pictures but it wont allow me to post them...?
Old 08-13-20, 04:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by noobrider90
so the bike seems to be in good condition. the only part i am hesitant about is that the person who owned it before me was running their front shifter cable around a piece of the frame with no cable guide. there is already a hole in the location by design.it is the cross member where the kickstand would go. but the wire running over it every time he shifted sawed some of it out and its rusting. is this detrimental to the frame ?is it worth trying to sell to someone who wants to fix it. should i fix it then sell it? trashcan?...i have pictures but it wont allow me to post them...?
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

You need 10 posts, 5 X 2 days for pics, its an anti-spam measure that serves us well.

Respond to the posts here and others that interest you to get there.

This is a big ? some would run, some would ride, we need to see how bad and have the experts weigh in.

This is too bad, a Sirrus is a fine ride and should not have suffered such a thing.
Old 08-13-20, 04:58 PM
noobrider90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awwwww......i dont have several days. i guess ill just post the bike and see what i get offered. thanks anyway.
Old 08-14-20, 04:46 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Your pictures were saved to your album. The name for that part of the frame is chain stay bridge. The damage doesn't look too bad to me. If you have some suitable paint I would first remove any rust then dab the paint on the spot to deter future rust. Point it out to any potential buyer that comes to take a look.
Old 08-14-20, 05:25 PM
noobrider90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Your pictures were saved to your album. The name for that part of the frame is chain stay bridge. The damage doesn't look too bad to me. If you have some suitable paint I would first remove any rust then dab the paint on the spot to deter future rust. Point it out to any potential buyer that comes to take a look.
Thank you for the info i didnt realize the pictures were visible.what do you think the bike is worth?any ballpark will help
Old 08-14-20, 06:18 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Fair price in this condition is about $150. Maybe start higher and see if there is interest. The Sirrus model is popular among some here.
Old 08-15-20, 03:55 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Local pics

Agree with the above, if you clean up that area on the chainstay bridge and paint it, and inform any buyer, it'll be fine. It's steel, and there's plenty left.

You could easily ask $200 for this bike, and accept $160-180. Those look like Shimano 105 triangle pedals and clips. Those toe clips by themselves are sought-after.

But you'll only get what it's worth **IF** it's cleaned up. Excuse the directness, but as is, it looks like a garage sale bike. Clean it up thoroughly. Re-mount the tires so the brands are centered over the valves. Remove the clutter - lock, flickstand, pump umbrella, whatever that is on the stem, etc. The yellow bottle cage is okay and matches the branding, but remove the black one, it's cheap and bent, and the presence of that cage and the pump mount makes no sense anyway. Mount the front wheel facing the right way. Raise the saddle and/or lower the stem, so it doesn't have the "geezer-fit" (way beyond "French fit") appearance. You might consider replacing the saddle, as one with "Plush" in the name is not consistent with the kind of use this bike is made for.

BTW, look on the inside of the right crank arm, see if there are holes for a granny chainring. Either it's been removed, or the crankset was swapped, since it's obviously not a triple. A serious inquirer about this bike will likely ask about that.