Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suggest a bike after Dahon problem

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 05:05 PM
antsjack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I got a new MU UNO. After reading about dahon frame hinges creaking, and being assured that they had resolved the problem, I took the risk. I ordered it and it was shipped. Thankfully the shop agreed to take it back! Aside from another issue, when I test rode it in the back yard, the first thing I noticed was creaking from the frame hinge.

So, without buying a Brompton, or spending over 500 euros. what options do I have that are decent quality?
Old 11-19-11, 05:32 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antsjack
... without buying a Brompton, or spending over 500 euros. what options do I have that are decent quality?
Consider a Dahon Speed Uno. It is similar to the Mu Uno (single-speed coaster brake) but it has a chromoly frame rather than an aluminum frame. BTW, how much do you weigh?

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 11-19-11, 07:00 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So I got a new MU UNO. After reading about dahon frame hinges creaking, and being assured that they had resolved the problem, I took the risk. I ordered it and it was shipped. Thankfully the shop agreed to take it back! Aside from another issue, when I test rode it in the back yard, the first thing I noticed was creaking from the frame hinge.

So, without buying a Brompton, or spending over 500 euros. what options do I have that are decent quality?
I did buy a new Brompton after my Dahon purchases (my Piccolo was supposed to be a back up bike to the Brompton) so I am able to compare the different types of folding bikes. The summery of the reasons why I selected and still have the bikes I use at present and donated/sold off both Dahons are listed here:
Dahon riders: what's the total mileage on your Dahon? @ Post #15
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/782084-Dahon-riders-what-s-the-total-mileage-on-your-Dahon?p=13510156&viewfull=1#post13510156

I am not saying that I am promoting and encouraging others to make the same choices. Just that there are other alternatives available beyond doing the same ol' thing again-and getting the same results. Keep patronizing that bike shop. It seems to be a really nice place to do business with.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 11-19-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 07:20 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I just work on my seated hill climbing technique on my Espresso. I can echolocate and avoid buildings and such. The creaking potential is why I avoid SS folders. Weighing 185 and mashing on a little SS folder can't be good.
Old 11-19-11, 10:08 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did it come with a relatively thick operating manual that describes adjustment procedures on the hinges?

Actually, my Speed Uno was creaking when I got it, but rather than returning it back to the bike shop just because of a few negative unsubstantiated rumors from the net, I took it back to the bike shop. They quickly adjusted it and fixed it right on the spot. No creaking from the handle post after that.

Creaking can come from several places too. The Mu frame is relatively stiff, so the frame hinges rarely creak. If it does, it's an adjustment problem on the lattice assembly. Older Mu frames have some issues, but unfortunately with the internet, old news stays on the net. It does not get erased. Thus, even new Mu frames get the bad rap because of old info. However, this can be easily fixed by an authorized Dahon dealer who knows how to do this properly. It's easy.

I'm riding in Arizona now and my Mu SL had been pushed to the extreme (20-24mph avg speeds) uphill, flats and so forth with big gears and that's when I'm starting to flex it. If you're riding avg 16-18mph, I suggest that you check the bottom bracket and the crank bolts for tightness or even the bearings on the stock pedals. When they are loose (they sometimes do), they will creak as you pedal and or pedal hard. Also, the handle bar post can creak if the adjustments are loose and as you torque the bars. Creaking can also come from the seatpost mast as well if it is not cleaned and lubed properly. This creaking comes when you are pedaling hard when seated. Again, all of this happen on my Mu SL as well as on my expensive BMC race MTB or my Trek carbon or any bike for that matter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 11-19-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 04:56 AM
antsjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
74kg
Old 11-20-11, 04:58 AM
antsjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, thanks pacificcyclist.

I checked the parts as you mentioned, but all were adjusted correctly. Aside from that, I had other issues, but that isn't so much with the bike, rather with the supplier.

Old 11-20-11, 05:01 AM
antsjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, any more suggestions? The Speed Uno isn't available here.
Old 11-20-11, 09:40 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Creaking just means metal on metal contact points requires greasing. The Brompton hinge doesn't creak as there is hardly any contact between the two plates (they're hollowed out/concave).

Creaks/squeaks in Dahons can come from a bunch of places, once greased they're gone.
Old 11-20-11, 09:47 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One option is to wait for the Tern bikes, they claim that their hinges are better than Dahon's.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/link-uno
Old 11-20-11, 10:25 AM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I think Thor will ship to the UK, but ask him to make sure if you are interested in a Speed Uno.
Old 11-20-11, 10:35 AM
Dynocoaster 

Available in the UK
https://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=74070

https://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=169257

Great price for a 3 speed https://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=74063

https://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=187015
Old 11-20-11, 10:40 AM
Dynocoaster 

I would recommend a cheaper folder and ride the heck out of it. See what you want in a nicer folder in the future. I have had several folders and always wanted all the bells and whistles. After the Raleigh 20 build I decided less was better for me and that is why I ended up with the Speed Uno. I do plan to get a new Sram 2 speed automatic wheel with coaster brake built and have the option of installing the igh when I need it. If I ever need more gears I like the option of the track dropout to add an igh with more gears.
Old 11-20-11, 01:38 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a shame you didn't post on this forum of your problems, there is more knowledge of folding bikes here than probably anywhere else in the universe. I have a Dahon Jetstream and found I too had early onset paranoia about frame creaks and groans, but in truth most were in my mind and the rest were easily rectified. There are a great many happy Dahon riders around, riding a vast variety of their models, a shame you weren't able to join the ranks. I'm not clear as to whether you got the Mu Uno mailorder or from a dealer, if it was the later, i bet it flew out of the shop on it's return. I've seen the Speed Uno in Lord Fudge's emporium and it looks mean and cool.
Old 11-20-11, 02:58 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
It's a shame you didn't post on this forum of your problems, ...
The original poster ("antsjack") has started 16 threads since joining this forum ~30 days ago, so the forum's collective wisdom(?) has been tapped. Hopefully one thing the OP has learned is that there are no "perfect" folders. We each have made purchase decisions based on (1) wants, (2) needs and (3) available resources. Those criteria vary among individual purchasers and, with time, vary for the same purchaser.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA