Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vail Colorado cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vail Colorado cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:21 PM
MichaelJH

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vail Colorado cycling

I will be visiting Vail Co late Aug /early Sept and would like some info re: bicycling in that area. I am interested in routes and rentals. I prefer road cycling but am also interested in mountain biking.
Old 05-21-19, 09:44 AM
alfordjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Road

Not sure how far you are looking to ride, but check out the course for the Copper Triangle.

Loop from Copper Mountain through Leadville back to Vail then to Copper. So you can start anywhere and get back to where you started.

Nice ride.

https://www.rollmassif.com/coppertriangle/course/
Old 05-21-19, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Post photos when you get back.
Old 05-21-19, 10:38 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by alfordjo
Not sure how far you are looking to ride, but check out the course for the Copper Triangle.

Loop from Copper Mountain through Leadville back to Vail then to Copper. So you can start anywhere and get back to where you started.

Nice ride.

I used to live in Frisco(and Leadville), and would use that route regularly.
Old 05-21-19, 05:08 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by alfordjo

Starting from Vail, I do the Copper Triangle route counterclockwise. West to east on Vail Pass is a hard start.

I'd also recommend the Cordillera climb starting west of Edwards (Lake Creek Road out and back); and

Dotsero north on the Colorado River Road to 131 and then down to Wolcott, US 6 back to Dotsero (reverse of the former Colorado-Eagle River Ride for SOS Outreach), with 20 miles of packed dirt/gravel on the River Road climb.
Old 05-21-19, 05:36 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelJH
I am interested in ... rentals.
There are a couple good boutique rental shops in the valley, such as www.avonventuresports.com/road-bike-rental/ -Giant and Pinarello-but it can get pricey for a multi day trip. You might want to look at shipping your own.
Old 05-21-19, 06:43 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelJH
I will be visiting Vail Co late Aug /early Sept and would like some info re: bicycling in that area. I am interested in routes and rentals. I prefer road cycling but am also interested in mountain biking.
Tons of great riding in the area.

The Vail Valley trail that goes from almost to Eagle and then up over the Vail Pass down to Copper and - it you want to - then short connection to get around Lake Dillon from Breck to Keystone. The ride up the Vail Valley is gorgeous and we often do it as an out and back.

The ride around Lake Dillon is great. The best part is from Frisco to Keystone and back starting from the parking lot at the Frisco Marina. Also fun is the riding from Frisco to Keystone and returning over Swan Mountain and back to Frisco.

Depending on the time of year and the state of the Colorado/Eagle river, riding an out and back from Glenwood Springs along I-70 is an amazing ride alongside the Colorado/Eagle river the whole way. Even though it's right next to I-70, most of the time you'd never know it.

Aspen to Glenwood Springs is mostly downhill, about 40 miles if I recall. You can ride back too or there is a bus.

Around Turquoise Lake near Leadville is beautiful.

There are a variety of bike rentals in Vail, Avon, Frisco, etc... Best to google it and figure it out in advance.

There are an amazing number of MTB trails. You can buy books on the subject just for the Vail Valley. If you're so inclined, you can also access lift served riding at both Vail and Beaver Creek where you take the lift up and ride down. An especially cool trail that you don't need the lift for is "Village to Village" that basically runs from the bottom of Larkspur bowl on Beaver Creek along the mountain with minimal climbing all the way to Arrowhead. Gorgeous ride through the Aspens.

J.
Old 05-21-19, 10:34 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I used to live in Frisco(and Leadville), and would use that route regularly.
That is so crazy, I also lived in Frisco and then Leadville. Just sold the Leadville house last year although we moved away in 2009