Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1985 Fuji IV Frameset

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 01:45 AM
Grunenteufel

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Peloton, '85 Trek 600, '05 Yeti 575

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1985 Fuji IV Frameset

Hello, wondering how much y'all think this might be worth. Listed at $165 w/ $35 shipping. Live in the D.C. Metro area and have been scouring FB Marketplace and Craigslist for a few weeks, but too many subpar models in 64cm as of late. Might be able to hold off for a few more weeks if this is a not so good deal. Thanks for the consideration!

Old 05-21-19, 06:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Not a great deal but certainly an OK one. The paint is in good shape which is a big plus and the chrome will clean up nicely. Are there any dings? The rust on the left chain stay (visible in 2 of the pics) has me a bit concerned.

One thing about tall bikes: there isn't much supply and there isn't much demand. I'd ask for a discount based on the rust issues and then buy the frame once you work out a price.

Do you have parts on hand? If not, velo orange sells very serviceable 126 mm wheels built around Sun CR 18 rims at a reasonable price.

Old mountain bikes are a great source for quality touring components (derailleurs and cranks) as well. If you can get one your size at a reasonable price with components you like, you can rob the bike for parts and build it up as an inexpensive lock up/beater bike.

I think $100-$150 or so for a quality steel frame is a pretty decent price and touring frames command a premium.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-21-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 07:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Dia Compe 960 cantilevers were original. You'll be able to find a set.

I have a Sugino AT half-step triple on one bike. And another set up more MTB-ish on my wife's Trek 620.

I'm down in Alexandria if you need a hand with anything. I'd be glad to help. Phil
Old 05-21-19, 08:46 AM
Grunenteufel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not a great deal but certainly an OK one. The paint is in good shape which is a big plus and the chrome will clean up nicely. Are there any dings? The rust on the left chain stay (visible in 2 of the pics) has me a bit concerned.

One thing about tall bikes: there isn't much supply and there isn't much demand. I'd ask for a discount based on the rust issues and then buy the frame once you work out a price.

Do you have parts on hand? If not, velo orange sells very serviceable 126 mm wheels built around Sun CR 18 rims at a reasonable price.

Old mountain bikes are a great source for quality touring components (derailleurs and cranks) as well. If you can get one your size at a reasonable price with components you like, you can rob the bike for parts and build it up as an inexpensive lock up/beater bike.

I think $100-$150 or so for a quality steel frame is a pretty decent price and touring frames command a premium.

Thank you for your insights. There doesn't seem to be any dings which is nice; but given that I want to spread the rear to 135mm I wonder what the long-term effects of the chain stay rust might be. Perhaps if I tried to clean/contain it some. I suppose the inside of the chain stay would be the best location to take a tad bit of paint off and seal it up if warranted. Might pull the trigger if i get it down then and nothing else comes along!
Old 05-21-19, 08:53 AM
Grunenteufel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Dia Compe 960 cantilevers were original. You'll be able to find a set.

I have a Sugino AT half-step triple on one bike. And another set up more MTB-ish on my wife's Trek 620.

I'm down in Alexandria if you need a hand with anything. I'd be glad to help. Phil
Oh, hey! Thanks for reaching out then Phil. I'm out over here in Aldie. Names David. This one wouldn't be built w/ vintage components; but I am looking for cantilever solutions to adapt a 700c wheel. I think I took a screenshot of a tread regarding this. Forget if these were mentioned as being accommodating or not.
Old 05-21-19, 11:17 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Nice frame set OK price. But it won't really work for 135 spacing or 700c wheels. These were designed for fixed height relatively short dia-compe canti's so there is much or any room to adjust downward even with different brakes. You can get nice 27 touring wheels with 126 modern cassette rear hub to run modern gearing. I would suggest if you want to run 700's and modern gearing you look for a slightly newer late 80's early 90's steel frame designed for 700's and 130 spacing then you could just bolt any modern groupo you want without issues.
Old 05-21-19, 01:40 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Not very knowledgeable about road bikes, but doesn't Rivendell have some long-reach brakes or still too short?
Old 05-21-19, 06:51 PM
Grunenteufel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Nice frame set OK price. But it won't really work for 135 spacing or 700c wheels. These were designed for fixed height relatively short dia-compe canti's so there is much or any room to adjust downward even with different brakes. You can get nice 27 touring wheels with 126 modern cassette rear hub to run modern gearing. I would suggest if you want to run 700's and modern gearing you look for a slightly newer late 80's early 90's steel frame designed for 700's and 130 spacing then you could just bolt any modern groupo you want without issues.
Ah, okay, I see. It might be good to shift my priorities then! Thanks for the info
Old 05-22-19, 05:48 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I don't like the rust. Rust under paint too. I'd pass.
Old 05-29-19, 01:51 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
$200 after shipping and a few hidden rust issues for a bare frame and fork. When you assess the rust and how to deal with it as well as the cost, you still have to find/purchase everything else needed to build it up. I think I would pass.
Old 05-31-19, 06:49 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
If you are thinking of modern canti's I would suggest measuring the distance between the fork canti studs as those 80's tourers had a narrower spread between canti studs than todays bikes so new canti's may not work up front - ask me how I know (86 Schwinn Passage) you can still run vintage canti's up front and probably find some that will accommodate a 700c wheel but its a potential issue to deal with. I too would be wary of rust under paint. YMMV.