Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Help

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 03:13 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
The Roam is a super versatile and comfortable flat bar bike, with great tire clearance . Apparently a 50c/2.1" tire is not out of the question....and suddenly that 65mm of travel gets you better damping/comfort than what you'd get on a solid fork running the same tire. Comfy: your hands . elbows and shoulders will thank you.

Hardtails (outside overbuilt aggressive geo) are actually suited for all purpose riding, smooth trail and pavement . Great MTB riders can do amazing things on Hardtails, but truth is for the average rider The Roam can handle most of that outside of technical courses.

Rougher trails with roots, rocks and drops are suited for FULL suspension mountain bikes. You already know if you are shopping for a hybrid that you are not interested in dirt jumping and downhill racing.

I have 3 road bikes, 14lb,15lb and 16'b-ers....and yet i still love to ride my Roam with its 'boat anchor' suspension fork. Its weight is fine, heck its still lighter than most mountain bikes .

Whether you use the suspension or not all the time is not a matter of losing sleep. Just know that measly 65mm of travel could be the difference between dipping through an unexpected technical drop (and worse case bottoming out the suspension) vs getting slingshotted over your handlebars for not having any at all.
Old 06-05-18, 01:33 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Piechowiak11
the guy at the shop brought up the idea of getting a mountain bike and throwing different tires on it in case I ever wanted to get into mountain biking the frame would hold up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Good ? Bad? Indifferent? I'm not opposed to the idea just not sure how a mountain bike would handle with road tires on it.
A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a second bike for off-road trails - something with a front suspension. I ended up going with a Kona mountain bike because the stanchions were thicker than the ones on the Roam (what I initially intended to buy), and the suspension was more adjustable (rebound and damping). It's a great bike, but it came with knobby tires that were a bit overkill for the riding I do. So this week finally swapped out the tires - Schwalbe Hurricanes, which are essentially a mtb version of the Schwalbe CX Comps I run on my hybrid. Wow, what a difference they make in rolling resistance! It's still heavier than my hybrid, but not nearly as sluggish as before. So the guy's suggestion is actually pretty reasonable.
Old 06-05-18, 02:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by AU Tiger
Schwalbe Hurricanes.
Excellent rubber! I just put a set of my Roam. Did you take advantage of the CRC clearance sale? 13 bucks each, with $10 shipping for both tires. Heckuva deal for very nice 29x2" tires.
Old 06-05-18, 07:40 PM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Excellent rubber! I just put a set of my Roam. Did you take advantage of the CRC clearance sale? 13 bucks each, with $10 shipping for both tires. Heckuva deal for very nice 29x2" tires.
Yep, I did - fantastic deal. I wanted to get a backup set of the CX Comps also, but they were out of stock. And shipping across the pond didn't take as long as I expected. It probably helped that my son was born in the meantime, so my mind was on other things for sure.
Old 06-06-18, 09:31 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I'll pass along a good piece of advice I received; all those bikes are similar, so go with the shop you like best.
Old 06-06-18, 06:52 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by AU Tiger
Yep, I did - fantastic deal. I wanted to get a backup set of the CX Comps also, but they were out of stock. And shipping across the pond didn't take as long as I expected. It probably helped that my son was born in the meantime, so my mind was on other things for sure.
Congratulations on your new family addition!

I ordered mine on a Friday evening. CRC sent them on the next business day (Monday). They flew to, and arrived in, New York City on Tuesday. There they sat, apparently in customs, until some point on Thursday. They were assigned a USPS tracking number on Friday, but I'm not sure they actually made it to the USPS on that day. Then the following Monday was Memorial Day. I think I got them the following Wednesday or Thursday. In all, it took two weeks to get here, but they were in this country the next business day. It was a combination of customs delays and weekends/holidays. Good tires, either way.
Old 06-06-18, 08:47 PM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Congratulations on your new family addition!
I ordered mine on a Friday evening.
LOL! I read those first two sentences together and thought, well, I hope that works out for you. =)

CRC sent them on the next business day (Monday). They flew to, and arrived in, New York City on Tuesday. There they sat, apparently in customs, until some point on Thursday. They were assigned a USPS tracking number on Friday, but I'm not sure they actually made it to the USPS on that day. Then the following Monday was Memorial Day. I think I got them the following Wednesday or Thursday. In all, it took two weeks to get here, but they were in this country the next business day. It was a combination of customs delays and weekends/holidays. Good tires, either way.
I placed my order the evening of May 24 and received the shipment on May 30. I guess that's not entirely typical.
But yeah, the tires are great. I can't get over how much of a difference they make in the ride.
Old 06-06-18, 10:07 PM
myotisfriend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am trying to decide on 2 different hybrids: TREK Neko 3 versus TREK FX3. The main difference is that the Neko has suspension forks and the FX3 has carbon forks. Basically the female versions of the bikes you are looking at. I have been told that the best way to decide is to take the bike out for 30-60 minutes and really get a feel for the bikes. In the female model there is a 3 lb difference with the suspension fork. I will review my long rides and my decision. Waiting for both bikes at my LBS.
Old 06-07-18, 08:42 AM
AU Tiger

Originally Posted by myotisfriend
I too am trying to decide on 2 different hybrids: TREK Neko 3 versus TREK FX3. The main difference is that the Neko has suspension forks and the FX3 has carbon forks. Basically the female versions of the bikes you are looking at. I have been told that the best way to decide is to take the bike out for 30-60 minutes and really get a feel for the bikes. In the female model there is a 3 lb difference with the suspension fork. I will review my long rides and my decision. Waiting for both bikes at my LBS.
The forks are certainly different, but the main difference between those two bikes is their geometry - the position they put you in when you ride. The Neko is a comfort bike, which has a relaxed (upright) riding position. The FX is a fitness bike, which has a more aggressive (leaning forward, but not as much as a road bike) riding position. You should definitely notice a difference between them when you ride. Both good bikes, it's just a matter of what you're more comfortable on.
Old 06-15-18, 02:03 PM
myotisfriend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after riding and thinking a LOT, I am going with the FX3 in a size 13” frame. The frame is a little smaller, and the bike is SO responsive with the carbon fork instead of the heavier front suspension. I have a Specialized rock hopper that has the front suspension, so this will give me a wider range of biking instead of 2 bikes with front suspensions. Hoping to pick it up this week!
Old 06-17-18, 01:11 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by myotisfriend
Well, after riding and thinking a LOT, I am going with the FX3 in a size 13” frame. The frame is a little smaller, and the bike is SO responsive with the carbon fork instead of the heavier front suspension. I have a Specialized rock hopper that has the front suspension, so this will give me a wider range of biking instead of 2 bikes with front suspensions. Hoping to pick it up this week!
Great plan; it's fun to have a choice of either option. Let us know how you like the FX 3!