Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Tour de France- allow women?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Tour de France- allow women?

Old 08-11-18, 01:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
With the exception of ultra-distance running and swimming there isn't any women's world record that is faster than the boy's high school world record.
I found that hard to beleive so i checked 100-meter dash.

"What is the American high school record for the 100 meter dash? What is the Record high school 100 yard dash"

According to TrackandField.com, the American high school record in the 100 meter dash is held by J-Mee Samuels of Mt. Tabor HighSchool in Winston Salem, NC, at a time of 10.08 seconds run on July24, 2005. Jeff Demps ran the 100 meter dash in 10.01 seconds at the U.S. Olympic team trials on July 6, 2008.

Florence Griffith Joyner, representing the United States, set the women's 100m world record of 10.49 seconds on July 16, 1988. https://www.bing.com/search?q=womens+100+meter+dash+record&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

Amazing.
Old 08-11-18, 03:25 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SharonS
What are your thoughts on the Tour de France and absence of women? What is the reasoning behind this? Any efforts to change this?
I think of the Boston Marathon only recently in the early 80's I believe when a woman entered under a man's name and was harassed by the organizer or manager when she was running! any stories or opinions?
A continental team could probably put on a woman but the team goal would be to support her finishing in the allotted time, not to actually win races. She would have to stay near the end of the peloton and on mountain stages, just ride with the autobus

But the amount of exposure a continental team would receive would be enormous. It would be a stunt.

I would love to see a real grand tour for women. Maybe have them start a short period after the men. However, sponsorship and logistics are a huge expense and teams are already short on cash.
Old 08-11-18, 05:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
One way to do it would be to calculate the pace and start the women before the men, hoping that the two groups came together at the finish. Wouldn't work for sprint stages obviously ... but for climbs it would be pretty cool.
Old 08-13-18, 10:44 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I found that hard to beleive so i checked 100-meter dash....

Amazing.
Women have a natural advantage when it comes to competing against men in endurance events involving dealing with the cold... e.g., English Channel Swimming, the Iditarod and perhaps holding breath underwater at a cold depth but, in elite endurance events, generally -- like the Tour -- the Female Athlete Triad, is a syndrome that's set in motion by relatively lower energy availability and becomes a health issue.
Old 08-16-18, 03:48 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
One way to do it would be to calculate the pace and start the women before the men, hoping that the two groups came together at the finish. Wouldn't work for sprint stages obviously ... but for climbs it would be pretty cool.
It would create potential chaos on top of mountain stages if both were together. The tour is already crowded with support vehicles and media. Adding a women's race at the same time as the men's race would create chaos with traffic.

Maybe a solution would be a women's race maybe with 5 woman teams, starting just around the halfway line of the men right after the autobus passes by. With the men's races being so short, they could take time away and focus on the gals a little bit. Of course, the sponsors of the men's teams would be very upset about losing camera time.

I wish there was a solution to make things better for women in professional cycling. I really do.
Old 08-16-18, 03:59 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Women have a natural advantage when it comes to competing against men in endurance events involving dealing with the cold... e.g., English Channel Swimming, the Iditarod and perhaps holding breath underwater at a cold depth but, in elite endurance events, generally -- like the Tour -- the Female Athlete Triad, is a syndrome that's set in motion by relatively lower energy availability and becomes a health issue.
Another advantage women pro cyclists have, is that they can train with the fastest men, and increase their own speed by training with much faster and more skilled riders. Men that they will never compete with head to head.

Imagine if there was some non-human species that male cyclists could train with, say Sasquaches or something, who were 10-15% faster than they were and had quicker reflexes, but humans did not have to beat them, they could just train with them to get faster. That would seem to be a nice carrot to dangle in front of someone wanting to go faster, might even work.
Old 01-02-19, 06:28 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
They had to stop the Tour Feminin because Longo kept winning it every year.

What an awesome rider! Unbeatable in her day, which lasted several decades.
Is this a troll? I WAS a fan too...until they really discovered what was in that bottle. And in her hotel room.
Old 01-03-19, 04:12 AM
Voronoi

Bikes: Daccordi, Fuji, Giant,....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sadly there is not really big media coverage of women cycling events. At the same time also no real big sponsors are entering the female pro cycling market. Hopefully that will change in the future!