Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Please Help! Need Rear Mount Kickstand for Rear Loaded Disc Bike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-18-19, 01:35 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

My utility bike hauls rear panniers filled with tennis balls so it's relatively weighty, but I've managed without a kickstand.

I can deal with leaning the bike on objects, but I really need a kickstand because now, I use the bike as a movable video camera tripod, with a special clamp mount I recently acquired.

This forum always saves me time in getting right to the point as there are so many different kickstands out there...

Can anyone please recommend one that will work for a rear-loaded bike with disc brakes?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-19, 02:05 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
if you want more stability, how 'bout a center stand?

Last edited by saddlesores; 05-18-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 02:13 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

[QUOTE=saddlesores;20936119]
Originally Posted by michaelm101
...I can deal with leaning the bike on objects, but I really need a kickstand because now, I use the bike as a movable video camera tripod, with a special clamp mount I recently acquired.

if you want more stability, how 'bout a center stand?
I've read that center stands are good for front loaded and fully loaded (front & rear) bikes. They can be problematic with rear-only loaded bikes as the uneven weight will lift the front wheel off the ground...
Old 05-18-19, 02:24 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
wind can knock over a bike with a rear kickstand, or at least will make your photography wobbly. avoid front wheel flop with a velcro strap.
Old 05-18-19, 02:40 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by saddlesores
wind can knock over a bike with a rear kickstand, or at least will make your photography wobbly. avoid front wheel flop with a velcro strap.
I use an ipad most of the time and indeed, wind can be an issue as the ipad basically acts as a sail...

So, your recommendation is a double-legged, center-mount kickstand, with the front wheel locked in straight position? THX!
Old 05-18-19, 06:37 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
If you need to stand your bike up and do it right, then use a Click-stand.

Click-Stand Home Page

J.
Old 05-19-19, 07:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
A two legged center stand is what I used on my bike when I was a kid with a paper route and had those giant chromed steel baskets on the back. Front wheel was lifted off the ground, but that was not a problem and there was no reason to lock the front wheel in any way since it was not touching the ground.

Use a threadlocker when you put the stand on the bike so the bolt does not come loose. Surly and some other manufacturers cancel warranties on frames if a center stand is used because some people have tightened the stands so tight that the frame tubing is damaged. So, tighten it enough but not more than that. You can always tighten it more later.

The only problem I had with that was that on some days with unusually thick papers the center of gravity of the papers was a few inches behind my rear axle, that lifted the front of the bike up off of the stand. But I doubt your tennis balls are that heavy.

Make sure you have a level spot for the two legs of the center stand on firm ground surface like concrete.
Old 05-19-19, 09:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Now some bike frames have fittings in the left rear chainstay ,
specifically for a rear mounted kickstand ...

so it will not interfere wit a disc brake mounting in the same area.. got one like that?

but yea otherwise bringing a Clickstand * and a rubber band to stop the front wheel from turning is a good plan..

*made to measure, for each customer, in Aberdeen Washington..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-19-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 05:00 PM
michaelm101

Clickstand...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
but yea otherwise bringing a Clickstand * and a rubber band to stop the front wheel from turning is a good plan..

*made to measure, for each customer, in Aberdeen Washington..
"Made to measure"-- does this man I'll need one for every bike?
I see plenty of images of these gizmos holding bikes upright, being used as clothes lines, etc., but none of how the Clickstand is actually stowed when riding/not in use...
Old 05-19-19, 05:32 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I see plenty of images of these gizmos holding bikes upright, being used as clothes lines, etc., but none of how the Clickstand is actually stowed when riding/not in use...
Almost certainly no since your bikes are going to be based on your stand over height.

He also sells a mount that attaches under your water bottle cage or just carry it in your jersey pocket. Go read his website - he explains all well.

Great product IMO.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 05-20-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 07:46 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I use this one on my Troll: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tw...stand/p/132963

But then there's a slot that I think has some function when using a Rohloff hub. Since I don't have that hub, the slot is available to bolt that one on.

I've used the Clickstand and a two-legged, center-mounted stand. I prefer the rear mounted. Center-mounted was never particularly stable for me. Never got the leg length dialed in. Clickstand was great, but took extra time to set up. Rear-mounted feels stable, and it's connected to the bike, so I can deploy the stand and walk away immediately.
Old 05-20-19, 07:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
1 man shop ... he makes them to fit as the 2 of you agree what's best.
maybe you can find something in common on all your bikes?

it is Aluminum alloy tubing sections . with a shock cord down the center ...

Round tube fitting cradle on top, rubber foot on the bottom

+ a stretch cord loop to set your front brake.

Click-Stand Home Page