Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 speed 105 Shifter compatible with 9 speed 105 shifter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 07:58 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently crashed and ****ed up my right Tiagra 9spd shifters. I'm taking this opportunity to upgrade to 105 shifters, however I've only been able to find 105s in 3x10.

Would a 10 speed shifter be compatible with a 9 speed rear derailleur? I'm using a Tiagra 9 speed cassette with it.

EDIT: The rear derailleur is a 10-speed.

Last edited by Reeses; 06-19-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 08:02 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indexing is not the same the derailleur is fine, its the cassette their are ways to get it to work but you may be better off just picking up a good used or new 10 speed cassette to work with it.
Old 06-13-13, 08:07 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Indexing is not the same the derailleur is fine, its the cassette their are ways to get it to work but you may be better off just picking up a good used or new 10 speed cassette to work with it.
I see. And the 9-speed derailleur will be compatible with a 10 speed cassette?
Old 06-13-13, 08:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
expect Rt lever and cassette are a pair, keep them like that.
Old 06-13-13, 08:11 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reeses
I see. And the 9-speed derailleur will be compatible with a 10 speed cassette?
Yes do you have a 10 speed cassette already? and you just need to setup the front to index on only 2 rings if you use the front 105 with a double up front.
Old 06-13-13, 08:18 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a triple front and no I don't have a 10 speed cassette. Id have to get the shifters, cassette and 10spd chain right? I'm thinking of just getting replacement Tiagra levers now
Old 06-13-13, 08:24 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cassette yes chain maybe but would be a good idea to do so. I have a few good 10 speed cassettes around for sale, you in LB? wife is having a yard sale this weekend I may have a few out for sale. PM me if interested.
Old 06-13-13, 08:26 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Liked 299 Times in 220 Posts
i have never in my life read
such confusing advice
i dont know if it was correct or incorrect

a 10sp shifter will not index properly with a 9 speed cassette
the amount of cable pulled per click is different between 9 and 10 sp shifters

you could change to a 10sp cassette
9 sp rear derailleurs move the same amount per unit of cable pulled
as 10 sp derailleurs
so 10 sp shifter + 9 sp derailleur + 10 sp cassette = good
10 sp shifter + 9 sp derailleur + 9 sp cassette = no

and you need the chain to match the cassette
Old 06-13-13, 08:36 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
you could change to a 10sp cassette
9 sp rear derailleurs move the same amount per unit of cable pulled
as 10 sp derailleurs
so 10 sp shifter + 9 sp derailleur + 10 sp cassette = good
10 sp shifter + 9 sp derailleur + 9 sp cassette = no

and you need the chain to match the cassette
Thanks for clearing that up; and JTGraphics I PM'ed you.
Old 06-14-13, 06:31 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP - Do a quick search on "10 sp shifter on 9 sp drivetrain". It works but you have to change the where the cable attached to the RD. It's called "alternate cable routing" as shown by Shelddon Brown on this link https://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html Look for "postion B". Plenty people have used it and it shifts flawlessly. Also a RD doesn't know or care what speed it is called.
Old 06-14-13, 07:22 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by hyhuu
... a RD doesn't know or care what speed it is called.
some do

there are various product lines from different manufacturers
that have different cable pull ratios
for derailleurs intended for different number of cogs

including but not limited to
shimano and campy
Old 06-14-13, 07:53 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
some do

there are various product lines from different manufacturers
that have different cable pull ratios
for derailleurs intended for different number of cogs

including but not limited to
shimano and campy
I'm sure. But the OP is asking about his Tiagra setup and that one doesn't know or care.
Old 06-14-13, 09:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I'm sure. But the OP is asking about his Tiagra setup and that one doesn't know or care.
bad generalization

most indexed shimano shifters will work with that rd
if the number of cogs matches the number of clicks
but there are many shifters
even shimano shifters
that will not produce the same results

10 sp mtb shifters
and 8 speed or less dura ace are two examples
Old 06-14-13, 09:50 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bad generalization

most indexed shimano shifters will work with that rd
if the number of cogs matches the number of clicks
but there are many shifters
even shimano shifters
that will not produce the same results

10 sp mtb shifters
and 8 speed or less dura ace are two examples
You are the one who over generalized and babling too. I am answering the OP's post, which specifically deals Shimano Tiagra 9sp and 105 10sp system. The setup showed on Sheldon Brown'site works for me and the last guy who asked on the forum and countless others who asked here or on other internet forums. I was just showing him that it would work. I don't understand what is your problem. If you want to show your vast knowledge of bicycle indexing systems then write an article and post it. I would definitely read it. But there is no need to distract from what the OP is seeking here.
Old 06-14-13, 10:04 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP- Here is the link to the last thread about the same topic https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-spd-csassette. As in his last post and many others who have contributed to it:"it works flawlessly"
Old 06-15-13, 02:25 AM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP - Do a quick search on "10 sp shifter on 9 sp drivetrain". It works but you have to change the where the cable attached to the RD. It's called "alternate cable routing" as shown by Shelddon Brown on this link https://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html Look for "postion B". Plenty people have used it and it shifts flawlessly. Also a RD doesn't know or care what speed it is called.
OP- Here is the link to the last thread about the same topic https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-spd-csassette. As in his last post and many others who have contributed to it:"it works flawlessly"
Thanks for the Sheldon Brown link! And it turns out that my rear derailleur is actually a 10 speed. I'll try out the alternate routing when the shifters get here
Old 06-15-13, 08:21 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The older 5500/6500 105/Ultegra shifters are 9-speed.

One other thing to watch for is that Shimano changed the brake pull ratios with the recent 10-speed 5700/6700 sets, and your brake performance may suffer if you mis-match. Given that its a rear brake, not that big a deal.
Old 06-16-13, 11:55 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the Sheldon Brown link! And it turns out that my rear derailleur is actually a 10 speed. I'll try out the alternate routing when the shifters get here
Report back after you try it. The speed designation of your rd is strictly marketing.
Old 06-16-13, 01:13 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Report back after you try it. The speed designation of your rd is strictly marketing.
I believe that the chain spacing between Shimano 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs is slightly different. i.e. I wouldn't expect a 9-speed chain to play nice in a 10-speed rear derailleur. The pull may be the same, but, you certainly might get some chain rub with a 9chain/10rd combination. Please correct me if I'm wrong....
Old 06-17-13, 06:13 AM
hyhuu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by anixi
I believe that the chain spacing between Shimano 9 and 10 speed rear derailleurs is slightly different. i.e. I wouldn't expect a 9-speed chain to play nice in a 10-speed rear derailleur. The pull may be the same, but, you certainly might get some chain rub with a 9chain/10rd combination. Please correct me if I'm wrong....
For RD, it doesn't matter. The shifting is done by the pulley riding on the inside of the link and the internal width between inner plate is always the same. For FD, the shifting is done by pushing on the outter plate so the width does play a role but since the difference is quite small. Some people refers the 9 sp FD on a 10 sp to minimize rubbing when crossing chain.
Old 06-17-13, 06:07 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a 9-speed chain with my 10-speed derailleur for over a year now.
Old 06-18-13, 03:37 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 732 Times in 519 Posts
Reeses, if I was you, I'd try to find NOS 105 3x9 STIs. Shimano's 10s cable pull is stupidly short, and is intolerant of all the usual cable maladies to a greater extent than any other system.

And the 9-speed derailleur will be compatible with a 10 speed cassette?
Until yesterday, I would have yes... but: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-compatibility

Yesterday I had a 8s chain running just fine through a 10s RD; not even close to rubbing.

Problem was, it appears (and I'm told, by one guy, at least) the parallelogram geometry is subtly different on 10s RDs and although the total sweep is about right, it results in a non-linear response in the middle of the cassette. My mate reckons it can work, but it's definitely sub-optimal. Yesterday, I was working with all new parts except for the 2200 brifters (RD hanger checked too), and nothing I did (including various cable clamping methods) could get it not to suck.

I looked like a putz because I contradicted his experience with the gospel I got on here. He reckons he read it in a manual somewhere.

Last edited by Kimmo; 06-18-13 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-19-13, 08:36 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Reeses, if I was you, I'd try to find NOS 105 3x9 STIs. Shimano's 10s cable pull is stupidly short, and is intolerant of all the usual cable maladies to a greater extent than any other system.

Until yesterday, I would have yes... but: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-compatibility

Yesterday I had a 8s chain running just fine through a 10s RD; not even close to rubbing.

Problem was, it appears (and I'm told, by one guy, at least) the parallelogram geometry is subtly different on 10s RDs and although the total sweep is about right, it results in a non-linear response in the middle of the cassette. My mate reckons it can work, but it's definitely sub-optimal. Yesterday, I was working with all new parts except for the 2200 brifters (RD hanger checked too), and nothing I did (including various cable clamping methods) could get it not to suck.

I looked like a putz because I contradicted his experience with the gospel I got on here. He reckons he read it in a manual somewhere.
I already ordered new 105 levers. I'll see how that goes. I'm not quite sure what you mean by short cable pull, but my friend has had a 105 group and he's happy with it.

Also, I found out my derailleur is actually a ten-speed so I won't hafta worry about the whole 9spd derailleur vs 10spd cassette thing.
Old 06-24-13, 07:26 PM
Reeses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifters came in today. The front shifting was ok but as expected the rear was problematic. It would shift okay through the first 4-5 smaller cogs but it'd become less smooth as the cogs got bigger.

I used the alternate cable routing but yielded almost the same effects as normal routing.

Edit: I tried the alternate cable routing again and it shifts smoothly now. However the left shifter has been difficult to shift. There's no "click" when shifting up to the biggest chainring and it takes quite a bit more effort than shifting to the big ring on my Tiagras.

Last edited by Reeses; 06-25-13 at 07:05 PM.