Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 07:05 PM
enargins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Laptops in current production have SSD storage rather than hard disks that spin. SSD are not vulnerable to shock as hard disks are. The most delicate part of a laptop is the screen.
Seriously?? What are you basing that statement on? Just go to the Dell website and see that ALL of their laptops "in current production" come with an HDD, not SSD. SSD replacement is an extra charge. Seriously, what a ridiculous statement that is!
Old 09-16-18, 07:15 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pelican makes a laptop case, maybe several sizes. The one I have is big enough for my 17" MacBook Pro so it should fit most laptops except certain gaming ones. It has foam you cut to the exact shape of your laptop and will absorb bumps and such, also it's waterproof unless you cut into it to create a mount for the bike or something. It comes with a strap you can hang over your shoulder but it will hurt as it swings around and hits you going over bumps and around corners.

I would say that if OP has spent enough on the laptop to be that concerned with its well being there's a good chance it does have an SSD already, but I wouldn't wager on it...
Old 09-16-18, 07:21 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMan2k
Pelican makes a laptop case, maybe several sizes. The one I have is big enough for my 17" MacBook Pro so it should fit most laptops except certain gaming ones. It has foam you cut to the exact shape of your laptop and will absorb bumps and such, also it's waterproof unless you cut into it to create a mount for the bike or something. It comes with a strap you can hang over your shoulder but it will hurt as it swings around and hits you going over bumps and around corners.

I would say that if OP has spent enough on the laptop to be that concerned with its well being there's a good chance it does have an SSD already, but I wouldn't wager on it...
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it! And, no, HDD, not SSD. (Please don't reply and say, "You should get an SSD. They're faster and more durable." :-) )
Old 09-16-18, 08:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by enargins
Seriously?? What are you basing that statement on? Just go to the Dell website and see that ALL of their laptops "in current production" come with an HDD, not SSD. SSD replacement is an extra charge. Seriously, what a ridiculous statement that is!
It's based on my experience. I guess I'm buying only high end laptops.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 05:57 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Seriously, the greatest speed up for any computer today is a SSD. SSD vs HDD is like riding a bike vs walking (with a walker).
Old 09-17-18, 08:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I only run Apple laptops due to the aluminium unibody chassis. All of my current machines have SSD except for my old iMac with an HDD (new iMac is SSD). Oldest unibody MacBook and BlackBook are HDD.

Since 2008, I've done about 2500 commutes and haven't had any problems with a backpack and/or laptop combo. I did just get a few dents in my rMBP 2012 due to being hit by a van, but it's otherwise OK.
Old 09-17-18, 08:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I am looking to transport my laptop on my bike to ride to Starbucks or wherever and work. I'm concerned about the effects bumps in the ride might have on the laptop. The laptop will be in a laptop backpack with padding on the back, and I was planning on strapping it to my rear rack. I was considering that perhaps I should put some sort of foam padding between the rack and the backpack. Or maybe something else would be better.

Anyway, I'm looking for any ideas people might have about the best way to transport the laptop without damaging it. (I'd prefer not to wear the backpack.)

Thanks!
well you legs are the best suspension available, on your bike,

when you get off the saddle..

wearing that computer containing back pack.. Or Bike messenger bag..

line a pannier in soft eggcrate foam mattress rubber, if you have streets with out huge cobbles..

buy one of those pelican cases, take it with you shopping
for a pannier it will fit into.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-17-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 09:06 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
Somebody up thread posted the 2 Wheel Gear pannier backpack conversion bag. That is what I use for my laptop, and it is an excellent product all around. Pricey but it makes life easier.

It hooks onto my rack securely and locks tightly, and is of high quality in terms of zippers and materials etc. Off topic - Don't trust the frame mounts for the Kryptonite lock. It failed the other day and the lock dropped onto my ankle. Not even a month old..I have to figure out a solution.

Old 09-17-18, 09:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One of my friends* is building a hotrod gaming desk top..
I was Shown Memory chip he got , comparison was a Topic of conversation
solid state the capacity; $ per gig of storage rate
of that chip is much higher than spinning disc storage of equivalent size...

*He got out of the computer code/etc. Biz , works as a Chef, now...
feeding Tourists,..

Old 09-17-18, 09:23 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP why carry a laptop at all? If it were me, I'd leave the laptop at home and use another laptop or desktop for work. That's what I have now and its works ok for me. I have VPN access to work. If you don't have that, then maybe you can carry a USB stick or USB external 2.5-inch disk if you really need the files? I also don't go to Starbucks enough to justify having anything for there. Their coffee is too much $$ for what it is. If I want to pay for overpriced coffee, I'll go to Le Pain Quotidien (Le Pain Quotidien - Bakery & Communal Table) here in the city and get a better cup of coffee.

Last edited by ptempel; 09-17-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 09:43 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by ptempel
OP why carry a laptop at all? If it were me, I'd leave the laptop at home and use another laptop or desktop for work. That's what I have now and its works ok for me. I have VPN access to work. If you don't have that, then maybe you can carry a USB stick or USB external 2.5-inch disk if you really need the files? I also don't go to Starbucks enough to justify having anything for there. Their coffee is too much $$ for what it is. If I want to pay for overpriced coffee, I'll go to Le Pain Quotidien (Le Pain Quotidien - Bakery & Communal Table) here in the city and get a better cup of coffee.
Multimode commuting.

Some of my commutes are house 1, bike, work, train, subway, train, walk, house 2

or

house 1, bike, work, train, flight, subway, walk, flat 1

I really need it when I travel. Backpack is also the only thing that makes sense.

Although I expect more battery cycles than I'm getting out this MBP :/

Last edited by acidfast7; 09-17-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 11:38 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry. I had a busy weekend and couldn't get around to documenting my bag conversion. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ortlieb_conversion.pdf (389.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-17-18, 08:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Files are one thing but programs are totally different. Maybe it hasn't occurred to you that some people's work is on their laptop.

Not just files but unique programs, and security protocols and codes and hardware that run them. Not everyone uses a computers for general tasks.and purposes. One more things, what if you're Windows and your job/school/etc. is Mac?

Besides, I can't speak for the OP, but I'm just more comfortable with navigating my own machine. Think carpenter's tools, or chief's knives.
Old 09-17-18, 09:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Files are one thing but programs are totally different. Maybe it hasn't occurred to you that some people's work is on their laptop.

Not just files but unique programs, and security protocols and codes and hardware that run them. Not everyone uses a computers for general tasks.and purposes. One more things, what if you're Windows and your job/school/etc. is Mac?

Besides, I can't speak for the OP, but I'm just more comfortable with navigating my own machine. Think carpenter's tools, or chief's knives.
I appreciate that point. The engineers at my workplace have elaborate software tools that can take the better part of a day to install on a new machine, and their software is often node-locked, meaning it can only be run on one machine without transferring the license key. And then, they can only access the corporate VPN via a computer that has been blessed by the IT department. Only a small handful of models are supported at all. They're stuck carrying their giant engineer notebooks and the power supply alone is heavier than my entire laptop.

I'm fortunate that I don't do that kind of engineering -- I've switched all of my work to open source tools that run on any platform, or in the cloud. In fact my main "portable" computer is a 10 inch convertible with SSD that was 100 bucks refurbished.

Likewise with my kids: They don't care what computer they're using for their homework any more.
Old 09-18-18, 12:59 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
Seriously, the greatest speed up for any computer today is a SSD. SSD vs HDD is like riding a bike vs walking (with a walker).
Thanks! I didn't know that!! I'm going to go out right now and get an SSD drive, because I never considered that before! Thanks, bro!
Old 09-18-18, 01:01 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
Somebody up thread posted the 2 Wheel Gear pannier backpack conversion bag. That is what I use for my laptop, and it is an excellent product all around. Pricey but it makes life easier.

It hooks onto my rack securely and locks tightly, and is of high quality in terms of zippers and materials etc. Off topic - Don't trust the frame mounts for the Kryptonite lock. It failed the other day and the lock dropped onto my ankle. Not even a month old..I have to figure out a solution.

That looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-18-18, 01:10 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny how you ask for tips regarding accessories, and instead you get life advice! LOL
1) I don't go to an office. I have a home-based business.
2) I go to Starbucks for the atmosphere, not the "overpriced coffee." It gets me out of the house, and provides a nice, quiet environment for working around other people with some nice drinks as well.
3) A double espresso at Starbucks is about $2. I think I can afford that.
4) Drip coffee is also about $2. More than 7-11, yes; but much better. And, again, you're paying for the environment (they provide a nice place to sit, but they have to pay rent on their building).
5) A venti iced tea is about $2.50, and is great quality, and comes with unlimited refills when you're a Gold member (as I am).
6) I suppose I could try to find a place that charges LESS than $2 for its drinks. But is it really worth it? Maybe it would be just to avoid the sneers of the Starbucks haters.
7) Glad you like Le Pain Quotiwhatever. So it seems you DON'T mind paying for overpriced coffee -- as long as it's the overpriced coffee that you like at your place of preference.
8) Note that I did say "or wherever" when I mentioned Starbucks. I didn't mean to make this a discussion about coffee. I was only throwing Starbucks out as an example of a place to go. Thought it would be a neutral place that people would recognize and not elicit questions or discussion. Guess I was wrong.
Old 09-18-18, 01:13 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apart from what I already wrote to that person (that I don't have a work computer because I work at home), I used to use two computers: a desktop for my home office, and a laptop for when I went out. Was a pain to keep everything synchronized. Now I just use one computer for everything and it works much better. That, in addition to the fine points that you mentioned.
Old 09-18-18, 01:57 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Apart from what I already wrote to that person (that I don't have a work computer because I work at home), I used to use two computers: a desktop for my home office, and a laptop for when I went out. Was a pain to keep everything synchronized. Now I just use one computer for everything and it works much better. That, in addition to the fine points that you mentioned.
I have a 2006 BlackBook, a 2008 24" iMac, a 2008 alu unibody MacBook, a 2009 MacBookAir, a 2012 rMacBookPro, a 2013 MacBookAir and a 2015 iMac that I keep synchronised with all of my files (between 150GB and 2TB depending on which machine) with DropBox. I have a different set of computers (two Win machines, 2 iMacs and 2 MacBookPros) that sync all data in between them and with my large capacity machines from the first set of machines.

It's about £100 per year and I usually just set and forget.

I can understand if one has 100s of TBs to sync, but even then it should be lightning fast with the highspeed over here (southeast England, southern coast, essentially London commuter belt now) where 350Mb/s is around £50/mo.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bro...band-only.html
Old 09-18-18, 02:06 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I have a 2006 BlackBook, a 2008 24" iMac, a 2008 alu unibody MacBook, a 2009 MacBookAir, a 2012 rMacBookPro, a 2013 MacBookAir and a 2015 iMac that I keep synchronised with all of my files (between 150GB and 2TB depending on which machine) with DropBox. I have a different set of computers (two Win machines, 2 iMacs and 2 MacBookPros) that sync all data in between them and with my large capacity machines from the first set of machines.

It's about £100 per year and I usually just set and forget.

I can understand if one has 100s of TBs to sync, but even then it should be lightning fast with the highspeed over here (southeast England, southern coast, essentially London commuter belt now) where 350Mb/s is around £50/mo.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bro...band-only.html
My hat goes off to you! Seriously. I'm impressed with your setup. For me, I'm content with my one machine with backup in place.
And, as for Internet speed, you Europeans are fortunate. Here in the U.S., corporations control the speeds with get, with very little government intervention. As a result, most people don't even have 100 Mbps (or anywhere close to it). I don't even want to tell you the high price I'm paying for the slow speed I get. I'd be too embarrassed. :-(
But, still, that's not the reason for not syncing. I just found there were too many complications. Something goes wrong and a machine has an older version of a file, and you modify that file without realizing it, and then that file overwrites the correct version, etc. I just don't want to deal with all of that. I prefer just to have one machine, and to transfer the files I need to another machine if I need to work on another machine.
"To itch his own," as the saying goes. ;-)
Old 09-18-18, 03:10 AM
acidfast7
Banned

My hat goes off to you! Seriously. I'm impressed with your setup. For me, I'm content with my one machine with backup in place.
And, as for Internet speed, you Europeans are fortunate. Here in the U.S., corporations control the speeds with get, with very little government intervention. As a result, most people don't even have 100 Mbps (or anywhere close to it). I don't even want to tell you the high price I'm paying for the slow speed I get. I'd be too embarrassed. :-(
But, still, that's not the reason for not syncing. I just found there were too many complications. Something goes wrong and a machine has an older version of a file, and you modify that file without realizing it, and then that file overwrites the correct version, etc. I just don't want to deal with all of that. I prefer just to have one machine, and to transfer the files I need to another machine if I need to work on another machine.
"To itch his own," as the saying goes. ;-)
I agree. The first set of machines are my personal machines. The second set are the machines of my PhD students and I always want all of their data synced with me (prof) just in case they decide to leave. Every so often, I do a backup of everything that doesn't get touched, I used to have a Apple Time Capsule for this, but haven't use it in a while (since 2013 or so).
Old 09-18-18, 07:32 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

It's funny how you ask for tips regarding accessories, and instead you get life advice! LOL
1) I don't go to an office. I have a home-based business.
2) I go to Starbucks for the atmosphere, not the "overpriced coffee." It gets me out of the house, and provides a nice, quiet environment for working around other people with some nice drinks as well.
3) A double espresso at Starbucks is about $2. I think I can afford that.
4) Drip coffee is also about $2. More than 7-11, yes; but much better. And, again, you're paying for the environment (they provide a nice place to sit, but they have to pay rent on their building).
5) A venti iced tea is about $2.50, and is great quality, and comes with unlimited refills when you're a Gold member (as I am).
6) I suppose I could try to find a place that charges LESS than $2 for its drinks. But is it really worth it? Maybe it would be just to avoid the sneers of the Starbucks haters.
7) Glad you like Le Pain Quotiwhatever. So it seems you DON'T mind paying for overpriced coffee -- as long as it's the overpriced coffee that you like at your place of preference.
8) Note that I did say "or wherever" when I mentioned Starbucks. I didn't mean to make this a discussion about coffee. I was only throwing Starbucks out as an example of a place to go. Thought it would be a neutral place that people would recognize and not elicit questions or discussion. Guess I was wrong.
I don't mind paying more for coffee if its good. But even then I rarely go out since the hospital where I work has a decent kiosk and cafeteria. We also get 10% off as employees so not much incentive to eat out although a few places on Madison Ave do give the same discount (Subway is one) to try to compete a bit. But I didn't mean to sidetrack this into a why go to Starbucks discussion. If you like it then go for it. You have a home business so you have to support yourself. Ride on.
Old 09-18-18, 07:46 AM
ptempel

What if the hard disk dies? Do you backup your files? I just copy down new files in my home directory from work to home (if needed). I rarely need to but updated docs and web browser bookmarks are nice to have. Then I just work on my laptop at home.

Macintosh (MacOS) is ok too. It has an RDP client to remotely access your Windows desktop. I personally run Linux (Xubuntu 16.04) at both work and home. My team administers some of the Linux servers for school and hospital. So I doubt my use case is any more "normal" than yours (if you consider Windows for both home and work as "normal").

Many users here just remotely access their desktops via RDP. I can also use VNC or X clients at home but don't really need to. Most of my tasks are web based or command line so they're easy to do from home without needing to access my desktop at all. Since I have the same OS at both work and home, its fairly easy to install the same apps that I need in both places.
Old 09-18-18, 08:28 AM
MaddMatt05

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SSD thing is definitely worth looking into. It makes a laptop much more resilient. Personally, I have Timbuk2 panniers, and I just put my 15" laptop in a padded neoprene sleeve, then put that whole thing in the pannier. I don't care my laptop around frequently, but its been fine so far. I DO carry an iPad Pro every day for my 15 mile commute in a pannier though, and before the iPad Pro, a regular iPad. Its just anecdotal, but in a few years carrying them, they've been ok. (This includes a time the panniers slid off the back because I forgot to secure them properly.)
Old 09-18-18, 08:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

What if the hard disk dies? Do you backup your files?
This has happened to me. I had a 20" 2008 iMac and let the HDD sit idle for too long and it wouldn't start back up. I had the 128 GiB SSD fail on my rMBP (Apple had a bad batch of Toshiba drives in their first run of rMBPs.)

That's why I started using DropBox in the first place.

I have every MS Office that I've ever made. 1996-forward (Sophomore year of University ... I'm not sure that I can open them any longer.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.