Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To FB or not to FB

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

To FB or not to FB

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 05:57 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I am subscribed to well over 100 FB groups. It is a good information resource for buying and selling vintage and antique "stuff". I have also had some success buying on Marketplace.
Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 09-09-19, 11:20 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Facebonk destroyed the listservs. There isn't much free education out there any more.
Old 09-09-19, 01:00 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
BF - the opposite of FB. Hmm...
Old 09-09-19, 03:42 PM
RohloffRoller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
To Facebook or not

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Signed up a long time ago with a fake profile because I need awareness/access to social media for work.

only connected to one family member through it. Plenty of other ways to keep up with friends.

looking up old classmates and friends is a mixed bag of issues, politics, and extreme stances (both right and left).
I find LinkedIn better for finding old classmates.

Mike
Old 09-09-19, 04:05 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Congratulations; you are a human once again, and no longer a product.
Old 09-09-19, 08:04 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I have a Facebook account only for the game Candy Crush. All my devices are synced for Candy Crush using Facebook, and there is no other way to do that.
Old 09-10-19, 02:04 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
The only downside to me for FB is that you cant do build threads. Everything comes and goes.

I am signed up with so many bike related pages that I rarely see actual friends and family posts. I dont post much public, primarily in closed groups. Although I do comment on some other cyclists feeds that regularly post different things. I'm there way more than here.
Old 09-10-19, 02:52 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
FB? Not necessary, I'd say.

Email is about the only generic mode of communication I know of, aside from the telephone.

FB is a private, proprietary system. (Though, clearly it's "a thing" and is used by hundreds of millions of people.)

FB treats your personal history and participation as though it were theirs ... to the point of allowing others to abscond with it and abuse it. (Think: Cambridge Analytica, though that's only the best-known egregious example.) As with any system containing so many juicy tidbits about folks, it can be hacked. IMO, the fewer such systems we use, with fewer tidbits all in one spot, the better. Just from a security standpoint.

FB = meh. For me, I can see how some people would benefit by the basic tools and functions. But, from where I sit, those aren't functions that cannot be done elsewhere via more-traditional means. Without all the threats to our privacy.

As for folks whining that they weren't getting notified during estate dealings ... well, that's on them. If they want to not get notified, let them not get notified. And not participate. If that's what they prefer. Your estate, your process.

JMO
Old 09-10-19, 03:14 PM
madpogue 

^^^^ There's no "as though" about it -- FB members' participation _IS_ FB's property. When you participate on FB, you're not a customer, client, or even a consumer. YOU are the product. To that end, it's not a "threat" to one's privacy as much as it is a wholesale dismantling of it. On FB, you have no privacy to have threatened. Your "privacy settings" only apply to other members (i.e. other products). IOW, the cow next to you in the pasture can't milk you. But the farmer always can.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-10-19, 05:24 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Deleted my FB about five years ago, never looked back. Eff 'em. The more you learn, the worse they are.
I've got better things to do and I'll not volunteer to be Zuckerberg's product.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-11-19, 12:22 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ There's no "as though" about it -- FB members' participation _IS_ FB's property. When you participate on FB, you're not a customer, client, or even a consumer. YOU are the product. To that end, it's not a "threat" to one's privacy as much as it is a wholesale dismantling of it. On FB, you have no privacy to have threatened. Your "privacy settings" only apply to other members (i.e. other products). IOW, the cow next to you in the pasture can't milk you. But the farmer always can.
Depends on one's POV, I suppose.

From FB's standpoint, given the nature of contract law, I suppose that trumps everything.

But the fact remains that one's very presence, every click, every mouse-over, every thing read, how long one spends at/on a spot ... all of it is tracked, evaluated and then sold.

Try doing that, tracking/tracing/selling detailed documented movements in our daily lives elsewhere, such as while driving on "the king's road" (streets), and you're arrested as a felon stalker and who knows what else. Let alone selling it to the highest bidders without folks' knowledge. But, do much the same thing as a corporation, and you get a pass.

People will see it as they see it. We've been conditioned, that way.
Old 09-11-19, 12:32 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
You mean you guys don't want to know what I'm cooking for dinner? Darn, I just finished taking pictures.
Old 09-12-19, 06:46 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
You are home and in good hands.

Do not be assimilated by the Borg. Shields up.

Humor aside, the only thing on FB that could be of any interest is their Marketplace section. If you have a weakness for buying bicycles, it might be smarter just to stick to OfferUp and Craigslist and leave the temptation aside.

-Kurt
Ooh, ooh, what's OfferUP...(facepalm) Just what I need, a new source.
Old 09-12-19, 02:41 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
It will start again soon with the election cycle coming up. FB brings out the "I am right and you are wrong" debate among people I am friends with and I don't think I want to see that again. Last election my aunt told me that my wife posts some pretty far out stuff on there. I told her to take it up with my wife if she needed to as I would not respond AT ALL regarding her thoughts.
Old 09-15-19, 09:27 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I have never been on Facebook, and for the most part have 0 interest.

But here's the thing, Many years ago when it was safe to publish our Names, Addresses, and Phone numbers in the white pages of a phone book, And someone wanted or needed to contact us, Perhaps an old friend or family member we hadn't seen in years they could.

So at the very least, Facebook might be the next best thing to phonebook white pages if we take every precaution to protect our identity and privacy.
Old 09-15-19, 11:35 AM
madpogue 

But the phone company doesn't have, as its primary mission, gathering information about us and selling it to anyone willing to pay. The phone company may sell our information, or allow us to opt out if it, but that's a "side business". Once again, you can attempt to protect your privacy all you want on FB, but that's only relative to other free users. To FB's REAL customers (i.e. the buyers of the information they gather), nothing you enter/store on FB is private. They wouldn't bother to let you enter/store it there if they couldn't make money from it.

In short - your lack of privacy on FB, etc. is at the very core of their business model.
Old 09-16-19, 01:29 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I like it but I get how nothing is private anymore.
Old 09-16-19, 03:34 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
I wasn't on it until a class reunion a couple of years ago.

It is a horrible time waster with a lot of interaction with people I don't know or don't care about or haven't cared about in 30 or so years...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.