Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wearing a pro team jersey

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 08:29 AM
night mission

Bikes: Lotus Challenger SX, Bianchi Intenso 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See them online. Do you wear one? Do a lot of riders (that you see) wear them? I'm usually heads down and don't currently group ride, so haven't noticed. Would like to complement my Italian ride with some kind of nice team jersey, advertising my bikes sponsorship with its name up front, but don't want to look anymore like the noob I already am.
FWIW, I'd never wear a NASCAR shirt or a favorite pro footballers team jersey, but I might make an ecceptation for biking, not that I have a favorite team, just like the colors and look.
Old 10-16-15, 08:32 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Used jerseys from obscure amateur teams can often be found at very good prices. That's my preference.
Old 10-16-15, 08:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
Ride with your head up before you hurt yourself and/or someone else. No ecceptations.
Old 10-16-15, 08:59 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Join a club, and wear the club jersey.
I either wear current or older club/team clothing, or non-team jerseys, such as Sierra Nevada since they make good beer.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-16-15, 09:14 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Rule #1 Wear what you want and quit worrying about what other people think.
Old 10-16-15, 09:16 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Honestly, I've picked up most of my kit at various thrift stores. Some of it is team issue, some isn't. If it's cheap enough, and looks fairly cool, I'm game. I put it in the same category as wearing kit from other sports teams.

Even if I were head to toe in team kit, there's absolutely no way I'd get mistaken for a pro cyclist out there on my ancient steel bikes.
Old 10-16-15, 09:18 AM
CdaleNike21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wear what you want, who cares what others think about it.
Old 10-16-15, 09:33 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I'm also of the mindset that you should wear what you want as long as you aren't posing.
Old 10-16-15, 09:33 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wear whatever you want. However, if you aren't sure you want to wear a team kit, I would avoid any current team, just in the name of good taste/that crap is expensive. Bonus points for a vintage team kit. Nothing wrong with wearing a football jersey of your favorite player. But if you really like a certain team and are willing to shell out the money for their kit, go for it!
Old 10-16-15, 09:42 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been wearing Mapei team kit from head to toe since 1998 . Not one on the road has ever say anything to me about it . The kit is so bright I never think about hi-vis clothes to wear for safety reason .
Old 10-16-15, 09:51 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
no way no how am i paying to wear some dopers pro team kit.
when i seek folks on Postal-Treks wear Team Disco gear, or old Postal kit - ugh. all i can think is 'stupid doper L.A.'

but if you don't care what i'm thinking, it don't matter. mater. whatever.... i think somebody already said that.

if i do i fast ride with a fast group where it's polite to blend in, i wear my old amateur team kit, or i advertise for my LBS.
Old 10-16-15, 10:01 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My other approach is to get shop jerseys from places I visit. Have one from Cycles Laurent in Paris, and next year am going to Switzerland, Germany, maybe Amsterdam and back to France.
Old 10-16-15, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
My other approach is to get shop jerseys from places I visit. Have one from Cycles Laurent in Paris, and next year am going to Switzerland, Germany, maybe Amsterdam and back to France.
I like that. I had a commemorative Maglia Rosa and a jersey from a LBS in Bergamo from when I went to the Giro in '95. They wore out, but I still have a cold weather jersey from a shop in Granada, Spain that bought during a non-riding tour there back in '98. Just wore it on a tour last weekend.
Old 10-16-15, 11:40 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by night mission
See them online. Do you wear one?
Only in cool weather - I got a nice never-worn Voler thermal jersey from the United Health Care team for $19.

I got similar deals on two amateur team left-overs plus a $40 Holowesko aero jersey all new with tags.

There's also the close-out Descente 7-11 reproduction which I don't wear because it's a bit big.

With quality jerseys these days retailing for $80-$200 I snap up deals like that when they're my size and aesthetically pleasing.

Would like to complement my Italian ride with some kind of nice team jersey, advertising my bikes sponsorship with its name up front, but don't want to look anymore like the noob I already am.
You can also get non-pro jerseys professing loyalty to your favorite brands without any extras.

I have Campagnolo Prodotti Speciali and Litespeed (with the headtube badge) jerseys which are much more tasteful than team jerseys with all the sponsor's logos.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 10-16-15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 11:46 AM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likely hard to find a jersey with your bike's brand name on it. Most old team and club jerseys look like advertisements IMO (not unlike NASCAR). If paying retail for a jersey, get something that looks cool.
Old 10-16-15, 12:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Banesto, eh.

Bonus points for a vintage team kit.
I'm partial to long sleeves here in the PNW.

Attached Images
Old 10-16-15, 01:03 PM
night mission

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ride with your head up before you hurt yourself and/or someone else. No ecceptations.
Yea, I kind of saw that one coming. After my first pinch flat and waiting on the side of the road, I now include even more time "looking down" at the road in front to avoid the craters. No worries, I still give forward plenty of attention, just wish I had eyes in the back of my head (or on the other hand, glad I don't, as my options are limited knowing whats coming at me )
Old 10-16-15, 01:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I mostly wear my own team kit but I also like to pick up souvenirs from travels. A few years ago on a trip to Italy I rented a road bike from a little shop. I bought a full shop team kit. Still wear it with fond memories of the trip.
Old 10-16-15, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by night mission
Yea, I kind of saw that one coming. After my first pinch flat and waiting on the side of the road, I now include even more time "looking down" at the road in front to avoid the craters. No worries, I still give forward plenty of attention, just wish I had eyes in the back of my head (or on the other hand, glad I don't, as my options are limited knowing whats coming at me )
Optimally, you keep you head up and look far enough in front of you so that you have plenty of time to avoid road hazards, etc. That's far better than reacting to them at the last minute, especially at high speeds. It's a skill you should practice. I am not focused on what is 12" in front of my wheel at any given moment because when it's that close it could be impossible to avoid. I am looking 10' or more in front of me and plotting any necessary solutions. It's second nature so it doesn't require any special effort.

Ears are often the eyes in the back of your head. Or you can ride with a mirror.
Old 10-16-15, 01:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Not really a fan of team jerseys unless you are on the team or helped them out in a major way. Old jerseys from teams that no longer exist are fine in my book but honestly there are so many fun jerseys I would rather have one of those. Unless the jersey has significant gains in comfort, probably don't need a team jersey. I also wouldn't wear world champion rainbows either since I am not a world champion. I like cycling but I also love cake and pasta and my gut shows that.
Old 10-16-15, 01:29 PM
night mission

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ears are often the eyes in the back of your head. Or you can ride with a mirror.
I tried a mirror. Attached it to my glasses, found I could see everything other than what I wanted to behind me. Have taken to using my ears. Some smaller cars with low resistance tires can catch me by surprise. Thankfully the type of person that drives cars like that are most often the most considerate to bikers. Truckers usually are very good but their bow wave can be disconcerning. My current beef is mini vans; too many, too often, too close.
Old 10-16-15, 02:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Vintage or obscure team, shop or club jerseys seem more tasteful and certainly more imaginative than those of current pro teams. Black bibs, whatever the jersey. Bianchi has sold some cool celeste jerseys in the past, don't know what they have now.
Old 10-16-15, 03:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
New Rule #1 Wear what you want and quit worrying about what other people think.
This is a +1 post. Actually you will find too many people dont think anyway.
Old 10-16-15, 03:14 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Maillot Jeune signed by Phil Ligget, Paul Sherwyn, Bob Roll and Craig Hummer and, NO, it isn't leaving the house...
Old 10-16-15, 03:28 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I don't have any pro team jerseys. Never had a desire to own them, although the Sky one might have been an exception. The jerseys I have are either plain, or represent something I have done in randonneuring, either participating in an event (Paris-Brest-Paris, Boston-Monteal-Boston), or riding with a regional group (Alberta, Canada, Australia).

There are three exceptions. I have jerseys in the national cycling colours of Belgium (been there), France (been there) and Italy (not been there yet). The are made by Demarchi and are wool and are delightful to wear in cooler weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.