Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 11:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
TdM crit Cat3: I finished, which is more than what a lot of riders can say.

It was fast, and tough, mostly strung out. Also, I had a slow leak in the rear, was prob under 60 or 70 PSI by the end. That's OK, the next one will be better!
Old 03-13-16, 01:05 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
E3 crit in the rain. 4th/13
Nice.

That crit sucked - torrential rain, small field, long drive.

One big team had about six guys, my team had one. They attacked constantly, I randomly picked which ones to go with. Nobody got away. "Field" sprint to end it, but I was too far back to contest it.

Lost a contact during the race - but didn't even know until it was over, b/c I couldn't see anything through my sunglasses anyway.. puddles were forming on the course and getting bigger by the time our race finished! 9th out of 29 or something.

I've done a lot of rainy crits, but never been so blind as today!!

my race videos
Old 03-13-16, 03:31 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Gifford RR 3/4, 10th. 5 laps of an 8 mile circuit.

This was my first race in Scotland. Coming to the UK I had to start as a 4. There is no cat 5 in Scotland, so it's basically a 3/4 race. Full field of 60. (Most races just have a 3/4 and a 1/2/3. Some just have a 3/4 or 2/3/4. The races are within 2 hours of Glasgow (2.3 million) and Edinburgh (1.3 million) so it's waiting list city and deep as sh*t with talent.)

I attacked a couple of times. The first time we got 20 seconds, the second time I got next to nothing. Since I am technically a 4, and new to my team, I was on attack/cover duty. We had 8 or 10 in the field and managed 7th as our highest place. Woops.

The biggest eye opener was racing with a big group on those narrow roads. It was really fun/challenging trying to move up. Also, unlike in the US, where you can't cross the center line, over here you can cross if it's dotted (everywhere). I swear I'm going to see somebody get smoked by a car sooner or later.

Fun race to get my feet wet, but I need to rack up some points so I can get back to the A races.
Old 03-13-16, 04:11 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bariani RR E3 ... field finish (13th? of 30).

Pouring rain, 20+ mph head, tail, and cross winds, and cooold weather. Good fun. 5 laps on a 14 mile flattish course with a couple of rollers and a couple miles across a section of what used to be pavement. Had 2 other teammates in the field.

Lap 1, took a little flyer to open the legs. Lap 2, attacks go and a teammate is getting dropped, so I went back to get him a few times. When I went back a fourth time, he was gone. Lap 3, 2 riders off with a 30s gap or so. Other teammate and 2 others jump across. Those of us with teammates in the break spent the remainder of the next lap and a half covering constant attacks from @aaronmcd. Eventually Aaron got away solo and the rest of us spent the last lap and a half just rotating round and round.

Teammate won out of the break, so that's nice.
Old 03-13-16, 06:48 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Yeah, I was really pissed that I missed that break. Was about to move up for the cross/tailwind where the attacks would come, when Chris Beal went (annoying guy, but very strong threshold power) with 2 others to chase 2 off the front. Moved to the front and saw them drilling it and knew I couldn't make the jump solo. So I just did attack after attack - the kind meant to be followed and hold the break close.

Eventually I took a bit of a breather and the break got way up there. Turned into cross/headwind and again went for the surging attacks, this time on the center line to hurt ppl in the crosswind. Finally got a break of 4, with a few guys represented in the break and they were willing to work for a while, but then slowed down and the rest caught back on.

Finally we were chilling 13 mph in the headwind and of the 6 of us 15 or so guys not represented in the break, I was the only one desperate. Finally Alto Velo and Dolce Vita missed my attack and I drilled it hard, getting a minute by the next turn. They were out of sight soon, and I was fairly certain I'd stay away. But with 25+ miles to go and the killer winds, nothing was certain. Worked hard all the way to the line and rolled in a few minutes behind the break and a few minutes ahead of the field.

6th place, 2 more points. Now at 23/30
Old 03-13-16, 07:09 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Finally Alto Velo and Dolce Vita missed my attack and I drilled it hard, getting a minute by the next turn. They were out of sight soon, and I was fairly certain I'd stay away. But with 25+ miles to go and the killer winds, nothing was certain. Worked hard all the way to the line and rolled in a few minutes behind the break and a few minutes ahead of the field.

6th place, 2 more points. Now at 23/30
About 5 minutes after you attacked, we got neutralized. After that ... we were collectively done and the pace tanked. The other solo riders weren't going anywhere and it seemed we were all good with letting the break play out.
Old 03-13-16, 07:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
stage 3 TdM, circuit race, (46mi) cat 3: pack finish

Teammates got 3 from a break (of 3) and 4th in the field sprint. I did a lot of work during the race covering moves from people trying to bridge to the breakaway, or pulling our protected rider near the front (7th GC I think).

On the last lap I worked hard on the back stretch with a couple others, just keeping it fast w him near the front. I moved out of the draft with two corners to go (~1.5k), and just drilled it (550w+) until the next corner and dropped off our GC guy with one teammate left, it was perfect. Apparently a couple moved around and pinched him in the last corner, but oh well, so it goes.

Good race! We would have won the team competition but you needed 5 riders on all three days and we only had 4 on day 1.

Added in edit:

The best part of all three days was hanging with all the guys (and girls) after everyone's races - I've never been apart of a team/club that has this much participation and involvement at every level, it's great. Our new sponsor is Karl Strauss and so there was more than enough free beer, which can be too much if you're not careful

Last edited by TMonk; 03-13-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 08:10 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Plainville Spring Series, 1/2/3 and 3/4. Felt really good to be back racing again. Legs are decent apart from any time I go over threshold - the anaerobic stuff killed my legs today. But that's to be expected given how I've been training so far. Pack finish, somewhere around 20th in both races. Just not enough oomph to hold position and sprint in the last couple laps. Partly cause I wasn't quite patient enough to do absolutely nothing up to that point. Anyway, it feels like I've got a good foundation to build on now. Probably a good idea to start doing that.
Old 03-13-16, 08:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep

This was my first race in Scotland. Coming to the UK I had to start as a 4. There is no cat 5 in Scotland, so it's basically a 3/4 race. Full field of 60. (Most races just have a 3/4 and a 1/2/3. Some just have a 3/4 or 2/3/4. The races are within 2 hours of Glasgow (2.3 million) and Edinburgh (1.3 million) so it's waiting list city and deep as sh*t with talent.)

I attacked a couple of times. The first time we got 20 seconds, the second time I got next to nothing. Since I am technically a 4, and new to my team, I was on attack/cover duty. We had 8 or 10 in the field and managed 7th as our highest place. Woops.

The biggest eye opener was racing with a big group on those narrow roads. It was really fun/challenging trying to move up. Also, unlike in the US, where you can't cross the center line, over here you can cross if it's dotted (everywhere). I swear I'm going to see somebody get smoked by a car sooner or later.

Fun race to get my feet wet, but I need to rack up some points so I can get back to the A races.
Sounds like fun! Good luck over there.

my race videos
Old 03-13-16, 08:34 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Corsicana Stage Race 35+ 4/5's, field of around 50

TT - 2nd
Crit - 5th
RR - 4th
GC - 2nd

TT (4.6 miles). Set a new best 9.5 minute power number and pacing was good. No regrets or notable mistakes, I just lost to a much stronger guy. After the TT, I was 2nd, down by 14 seconds and sitting 10 seconds ahead of 3rd.

Crit (40 minutes, 8 corner with a stretch of bricks and a few wet corners) - It took me a few laps to figure out where I wanted to be and then I got comfortable. I almost got taken out when a guy crashed on one of the wet corners and caught my rear wheel. Loved the brick section. I ended up 5th. The guys that took 1st and 2nd were right behind me on GC, so they got bonus time. Going into RR, I was still down by 14 seconds, but only up by 5 seconds on 3rd and 10 on 4th.

RR (44 miles with a little wind)
Plan was to go for the intermediate sprint bonus and try to put 3rd or 4th out of reach in a pack finish. 10 miles in, we got a break of 9 and stayed away. I ended up off the front with one other guy way too early for the intermediate sprint and we got caught. I went again 1k out and buried myself with everyone in tow. I got 3rd for a 1 second bonus, but the guy sitting 3rd in GC got me at the line for a 2 second bonus. At this point, he was only 4 seconds back, but I took the 4th place guy out of the picture. I rested a bit after the big effort. Went hard at the finish, ended up 4th in the RR and 2nd in GC.

I was happy with the result and really enjoyed Corsicana. I still have not won a mass start event. Lesson this weekend - I really need to work on my finish. I don't think I'll ever be the guy winning from a big pack from 150-200 yards, but I think I can win one of these strung out long finishes. I need to figure something out.
Old 03-13-16, 10:05 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also at the Tour of Corsicana, same 35+ 4/5 race as @grwoolf.

TT - I wasn't exactly sure what my power target should be for this duration. I got dangerously close to overcooking the first 75% of the course, couldn't attack the last two hills quite as hard as I'd have liked; but I hit a solid PR for 7:00-9:00 power and it was good enough for 1st place.

Crit - Didn't get a chance to pre-ride the course was was pretty tentative early on. A couple wet corners made things dicey at times. I got caught behind a crash 15:00 in; had to come to a full stop and un-clip, but was able to chase back on relatively quickly. I was a little too far back going into the last lap and couldn't improve my position, ended up 10th. No time gap, but top-5 in GC tightened up due to the bonus time for the top 3 finishers.

RR - I had 14s lead going into final stage, but places 2-5 were only 10-11s apart so it was tight. My main concern was not letting any of the other top GC guys get away in a break. But I also thought I had to worry about @grwoolf overtaking me if he got both the intermediate sprint and the win. Turns out that wasn't the case, since the bonus time numbers published in the race bible were incorrect. I created a lot more work for myself by not paying closer attention to the bonus times announced pre-race. I made the selection in the cross winds on the first lap, along with the other top GC guys. When grwoolf found himself at the front 1K out and went for the sprint bonus, I chased hard, got on his wheel and was able to come around to take the first bonus. After that we re-grouped and the moto official told us we had a 1+ minute lead on the chase, so everybody eased up on the headwind section. Suddenly our gap was 40s and closing, we had to start working hard. Top 5 GC guys did a lot of the work, and we maintained the gap through the finish. One guy who was out of GC contention took off solo 3-4 miles out from the finish. At first it looked like he wouldn't make it, then it became clear he had a real chance. A little over 1K out I decided that saving what I had left in the legs to sprint for 2nd was pointless, so I went all-out to try and chase the guy down. I didn't quite catch him, but another rider who stayed on my wheel was able to come around and just barely take the win. I ended up in 3rd.

This was my first time at the Tour of Corsicana stage race, it was a great weekend of racing and I'll definitely be back in the future. This was my 'A' race for the spring, so it felt really good to get the GC after having it slip away from me in the final stage at Fayetteville last year. Grwoolf raced smart all weekend and definitely made me work for it, as did the other guys rounding out the top 5.
Old 03-13-16, 10:11 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I just did a 56mi/6k climbing race with 20 guys that included 5 masters national champions. I got like 10th, was dangling on the final selection when a dude's wheel came out and he took a header. I stopped to check on him in a moment of weakness.

only 8 minutes of z7 above 555w and 22 minutes between 445 and 555. these 5 kgs are really hurting my feelings.
Todd absolutely killed that race!

Bariani RR:

Drove 1h30m from SF. Forgot helmet. The end.
Old 03-14-16, 12:44 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Wtf! That's horrible. What field? I once forgot my shoes. Luckily I was doing 2 races and I found a cool dude who let me borrow his for the second race. But that really sucks.
Old 03-14-16, 05:39 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@jsk and @grwoolf:
Old 03-14-16, 06:53 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Plainville Spring Series, 1/2/3 and 3/4. Felt really good to be back racing again. Legs are decent apart from any time I go over threshold - the anaerobic stuff killed my legs today. But that's to be expected given how I've been training so far. Pack finish, somewhere around 20th in both races. Just not enough oomph to hold position and sprint in the last couple laps. Partly cause I wasn't quite patient enough to do absolutely nothing up to that point. Anyway, it feels like I've got a good foundation to build on now. Probably a good idea to start doing that.
Ditto on most points above, did the 3/4 and 4/5. Early in the 3/4 we got caught behind a dude on the sweeper who went a little wild and ricocheted off the curb, and slowed way down. Tried to chase my wife back on but it was way.too.fast for her to hang yesterday. Gonna find some actual women's races for her to do. Next I think is Chris Hinds. Men and women are separated by 8 hours, so I'll give her that one. Not hanging around all day.

I managed to stay ahead of all the other crashes, and there were a few.

I seem to recall crits being slower last year!
Old 03-14-16, 07:23 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep

Nice! Sounds like a great experience. I'm from Scotland and will be there this summer. I usually ride while there but have never raced.
Very cool that you already have a team and teammates! look forward to hearing about your next races!
Old 03-14-16, 07:40 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Ditto on most points above, did the 3/4 and 4/5. Early in the 3/4 we got caught behind a dude on the sweeper who went a little wild and ricocheted off the curb, and slowed way down. Tried to chase my wife back on but it was way.too.fast for her to hang yesterday. Gonna find some actual women's races for her to do. Next I think is Chris Hinds. Men and women are separated by 8 hours, so I'll give her that one. Not hanging around all day.

I managed to stay ahead of all the other crashes, and there were a few.

I seem to recall crits being slower last year!
Doing the 3/4 after the 1/2/3 was definitely a weird experience. Lots of weirdness in the corners in the 3/4. Not nearly so much in the 1/2/3. Were there crashes in the 3/4? I didn't notice. I was in the top half of the field for most of the race.

The lack of a women's race in Plainville is definitely a bummer. I saw one or two women in the 40+ race going on when I arrived, and the first miss and out. But I can't imagine it's all that appealing a prospect for the most part.
Old 03-14-16, 08:23 AM
cb3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac sl4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little wind out in Corsicana? If that was "a little" i'd hate to see what "a lot" was haha had some teammates who, if it wasnt for me, would have raced with yall instead of the 4s. Did yall have any timing issues on the TT? Heard a few people who had their official race time as alot faster than their garmin..

Mens 4

ITT - 8th and relatively content since it was my first ride of the year on a TT machine i'd only gotten 6 days earlier secondhand and had to get a fit done right before the race. forgot to turn on the garmin so i was flying blind for 4.6 miles. Finished in 9:52
Crit - 2nd - fun course. wet corners didn't bother me. was at the front or close for 80% of the race. 4th wheel going into last turn thought i was positioned perfectly until 2nd let a 2 bike length gap open and i couldn't close that down in the final straightaway. Moved up to 10 seconds off of 3rd overall
RR - 18th - shattered. Made the split to the front 10 group of guys with a teammate about 11 miles in. pace was real heavy and i couldn't maintain. Slipped to a small second group and eventually was out solo for half an hour. Lost several minutes and 13 places in the GC
Old 03-14-16, 09:12 AM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
I was also at the Tour of Corsicana, same 35+ 4/5 race as @grwoolf.

TT - I wasn't exactly sure what my power target should be for this duration. I got dangerously close to overcooking the first 75% of the course, couldn't attack the last two hills quite as hard as I'd have liked; but I hit a solid PR for 7:00-9:00 power and it was good enough for 1st place.
JSK - Great racing this weekend, your TT was lights out and a great effort in the RR as well. Looking at TT times for the day, your time would have been top 10 in the P12 field.

Originally Posted by cb3
A little wind out in Corsicana? If that was "a little" i'd hate to see what "a lot" was haha had some teammates who, if it wasnt for me, would have raced with yall instead of the 4s. Did yall have any timing issues on the TT? Heard a few people who had their official race time as alot faster than their garmin..

Mens 4

ITT - 8th and relatively content since it was my first ride of the year on a TT machine i'd only gotten 6 days earlier secondhand and had to get a fit done right before the race. forgot to turn on the garmin so i was flying blind for 4.6 miles. Finished in 9:52
Crit - 2nd - fun course. wet corners didn't bother me. was at the front or close for 80% of the race. 4th wheel going into last turn thought i was positioned perfectly until 2nd let a 2 bike length gap open and i couldn't close that down in the final straightaway. Moved up to 10 seconds off of 3rd overall
RR - 18th - shattered. Made the split to the front 10 group of guys with a teammate about 11 miles in. pace was real heavy and i couldn't maintain. Slipped to a small second group and eventually was out solo for half an hour. Lost several minutes and 13 places in the GC
cb3 - It was definetly enough wind to rip things apart, I think our race broke up at the exact same spot. Nice result in the TT for just jumping on a new bike. I've been on mine once a week since December and I really think it made a big difference.

I didn't hear about any TT timing issues from our group. My garmin said 9:34 and they had me at a 9:37. Close enough to believe they were doing it right.
Old 03-14-16, 09:19 AM
cb3

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac sl4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cb3 - It was definetly enough wind to rip things apart, I think our race broke up at the exact same spot. Nice result in the TT for just jumping on a new bike. I've been on mine once a week since December and I really think it made a big difference.

I didn't hear about any TT timing issues from our group. My garmin said 9:34 and they had me at a 9:37. Close enough to believe they were doing it right.[/QUOTE]

Watching yall's crit yall were definitely humming. I bet the RR was carnage at the back of the field. I had a teammate go 9:50 in the official results but before he saw that he told me his garmin read 10:26-ish and he believed he started/stopped at the start/finish. His 1.5 minute man was going backwards though and i think it might have thrown off the timers as the 30 second difference makes a lot of sense. He now has bragging rights!
Old 03-14-16, 09:46 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
@jsk and @grwoolf:
Great reports, guys! I look forward to more as the rivalry/season progresses...
Old 03-14-16, 10:35 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wtf! That's horrible. What field? I once forgot my shoes. Luckily I was doing 2 races and I found a cool dude who let me borrow his for the second race. But that really sucks.
E4's - asked around but no luck unfortunately.

I was definitely bummed out, but I heard the race was fairly sketchy with a few early crashed so it may have been for the best.
Old 03-14-16, 05:11 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Next I think is Chris Hinds. Men and women are separated by 8 hours, so I'll give her that one. Not hanging around all day.
I'm working Chris Hinds as well. Please say hi.
Old 03-15-16, 10:40 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I just did a 56mi/6k climbing race with 20 guys that included 5 masters national champions. I got like 10th, was dangling on the final selection when a dude's wheel came out and he took a header. I stopped to check on him in a moment of weakness.

only 8 minutes of z7 above 555w and 22 minutes between 445 and 555. these 5 kgs are really hurting my feelings.
Checking on a fellow competitor is never anything but class.
Old 03-15-16, 11:51 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Checking on a fellow competitor is never anything but class.
While that may be somewhat true, I know myself and I know that had I felt like I was competitive in the race against the remaining guys I'd have ridden right by like everyone else. I was glad I stopped and I was glad he was ok.

I am annoyed I lost one place in the overall due to it. Really though I ****ed myself with an attack that was too-hard. I went otf to make guys work to chase, but then as they caught me the first time I went again. Then as they caught me the 2nd time I went again and as they caught me the third time I realized I hadn't thought that all the way through. Chased for 15 minutes and PRd the descent to catch back on, but every match was gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.