Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Shift 2 vs Giant Sedona DX

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-19-16, 07:18 PM
ozark75

Bikes: 2017 Giant Sedona DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, like many others, I'm new here and getting back into biking to lose weight and for overall fitness. I will mainly be riding the neighborhood and local greenway trails. All paved. I would like to work up to a trip on the Katy Trail (packed gravel). I'm 40 and check in around 250. I currently have a cheapo Walmart MTB. The biggest problem with it is, well, its just not very comfy. I have to lean forward too far and i stay stretched out. So, after some research at a couple lbs, I think I have narrowed down my search to two bike. Trek Shift 2 and Giant Sedona DX. I like the looks (mainly cosmetic finishes) of the Trek better, but I'm not sure that is worth $110.00 more. Are there any legitimate or tangible reasons to spend 25% more to get the Trek? Are they really that much better? Thanks for any help and info!
Old 05-19-16, 07:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I feel ya bro. I started out on a cheap POS Walmart mountain bike back in August, but luckily bought a hybrid which is much easier to ride. Which ever bike you choose you'll definitely be happy to be off the Walmart BSO.
Old 05-20-16, 08:40 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't see any need to spend extra for the Trek. In general, Giant is usually a good buy as far as bang for the buck.

I would however suggest a different option. I bought a Sedona DX in 2003, and rode it as my primary bike for a decade, and loved it, except for a couple of things.

1) I did not like the shock, or the suspension seat post. I ended up replacing both with rigid counterparts after a few years.

2) I found myself mildly regretting going with the Sedona instead of the Cypress. Part of my reluctance to buy the cypress was that I preferred the 26" wheels since I weigh over 300 pounds. In hindsight, I would have preferred the 700c, which is part of why I no longer ride the Sedona, I upgraded to 700c. At your weight, 250, I would definitely suggest the 700c wheels on the Cypress. It is basically the same bike with different wheels. The reasons are slightly better rolling, and a wider variety of available tires.

FYI - The Sedona lasted a decade and thousands of miles of mostly gravel, and I broke one spoke and otherwise only replaced consumables for that decade. (Other than the mods noted above for personal preference over the years)

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-20-16, 03:56 PM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked out both the Sedona and Cypress at the same time. The Cypress just didn't feel right. The Sedona just "felt" better and was more comfortable. I do like the idea of the 700c better than the 26", but of every brand I tried that had comparable bikes in the 700c vs 26", I felt better on the 26" (wish I didn't though). That's also the main reason I narrowed down the Trek to the Shift instead of the Verve.

So far, then, that is one vote for "no reason to spend more just to get the Trek". Any other votes?
Old 05-22-16, 08:15 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I agree with LD that you really don't need the shocks for riding on the Katy Trail or much of anywhere else short of mountain biking. The suspension seat post was the first thing to go out on a buddy's bike. He weighs a little more than you.

I see one problem with the Trek: It only has a place for one water bottle holder. There are places on the Missouri Katy Trail where water isn't available for many miles especially if you ride during the winter time where water is shut off at many trail heads.
Old 05-22-16, 08:33 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I am not especially a fan of either bike. The suspension seatpost and fork isn't well suited for a 250 pounder. That said, the Giant looks to have better components than the Trek.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-22-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 08:37 AM
BigJohn12

Bikes: 2016 Trek Shift 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a Shift 3 and its nice. My local LBS suggested the Trek Shift, Verve or Giant Sedona DX, Being heavier than you and wanting to sit more upright. The shift 3 has a lockable fork which will be nice.
Old 05-23-16, 05:59 PM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the input! So, I'm hearing the seat post suspension and front fork aren't necessary, and possibly even considered a negative. I think I'm going to take another test drive, but this time focus on these two components. As long as I don't notice something on this next test drive, I will probably pull the trigger on the Giant Sedona DX. That bike just felt so good. Sounds like the Trek is out of the running due to no reason to justify the higher price. I won't be able to do anything for about a week, so if there are any last minute nuggets of info, please drop them here!
Old 05-25-16, 09:03 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Agreed, the GIant is a better buy, equal quality and build.
Old 05-29-16, 07:16 AM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, i pulled the trigger on the Giant Sedona DX. I had to order it as my lbs was out of stock. No more 2016's available, so mine will be a 2017. It should take about 3 weeks to arrive, so excited! Thanks for all the input! So, now i have 3 weeks to wait, and wait. That should give me plenty of time to think about add-ons. I think i want to go with full fenders front and rear, a rear rack, headlight, tail light, pump, and basic tool/repair kit. Whew, still have a lot of research to do. Google, here i come! If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to jump in a drop some wisdom! Thanks everyone!
Old 05-29-16, 07:37 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ozark75
So, i pulled the trigger on the Giant Sedona DX. I had to order it as my lbs was out of stock. No more 2016's available, so mine will be a 2017. It should take about 3 weeks to arrive, so excited! Thanks for all the input! So, now i have 3 weeks to wait, and wait. That should give me plenty of time to think about add-ons. I think i want to go with full fenders front and rear, a rear rack, headlight, tail light, pump, and basic tool/repair kit. Whew, still have a lot of research to do. Google, here i come! If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to jump in a drop some wisdom! Thanks everyone!
RE: Rear racks, it depends on what you want to do. For a basic rack for light duty, the Planet Bike Eco Rack looks like a winner. I have used a number of racks over the years for light duty, meaning short tours or day trips and haven't really noticed a huge difference between the ones I have, which are Planet Bike, Axiom, Bontrager, and Bor Yueh. The Planet bike is now on my old mountain bike, the Axiom on my wife's road bike (which also doubles as her touring bike), the Bontrager on my wife's hybrid. The Bor Yueh was on my hybrid for years, but my son removed it because he hated the way it looked. In a nutshell, for around $30 retail, they are all pretty similar.

RE: Fenders. Do you plan to ride in the rain? If so, fenders are a good idea.

RE: Pump. You need to consider a floor pump, and possibly also a frame pump. Lots of good floor pumps. I use a Bontrager Charger. It is decent, but lots of other decent options from Nashbar (online store) to Topeak Joe Blow, Lezyne. Just a few examples. Any pump you get at a bike shop will be alright, I imagine. As for a frame pump, I use the Topeak Road Morph G, and can't recommend it highly enough. It is almost good enough to use as a floor pump.

You will probably need a multi tool. Lots of different brands. I have a Nashbar multi tool that I bought years ago that is holding up well. you should get a patch kit, tire levers, spare tube, and a seatbag to hold all that stuff, unless you get a rack, in which case you could put that stuff in a trunk bag.

RE: lights. Don't know. I don't have lights on my bike since I don't ride at night.

Also, if you leave your bike, even for a few minutes, you should get a decent lock. A U lock from Kryptonite or an Abus Folding lock are good choices. A cable lock is better than nothing, but is easily defeated by wire cutters or bolt cutters, which a thief could easily conceal in a backpack.
Old 05-29-16, 07:50 AM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh yeah, i forgot about a lock. Add that to the list. I do have a floor pump already, i just need one to carry on the bike. I don't necessarily plan on riding in the rain, but in case i do (or just after a rain) i want to be set up for it. Also, i don't plan to ride at night, but again, just in case. I want to be prepared. As far as a rear rack, just something basic for all around utility, again, you never know.
Old 06-02-16, 06:51 PM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Woohoo! She came in early. Next week i will be adding front and rear fenders and topeak rear rack.
Old 06-02-16, 07:34 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I found the suspension saddle annoying and got rid of it ASAP, also it was pretty wide, i think they assume the only people buying these "comfort bikes" are big people who want a plush saddle.........but in the long run you want a skinny one for your sit bones to sit on.
Old 06-03-16, 09:32 AM
ozark75

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far the suspension seat post is not a problem, and I do like the wider seat (I am a little larger myself). I'm sure with more miles on the bike and less weight on me, I might feel a little differently. Plenty of time to tweak and modify to meet my needs in the future after many miles logged. I'm really diggin' how everything is working out on the bike (including the front suspension). No complaints yet!