Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji S10-S rear hub. Diagram?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 11:52 AM
Chops717

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys, first post here, stumbled across the forum while looking for some information on my new to me bike. Picked up a ‘77 S10-S the other day for a steal as a restoration/finally growing up a little and having gears on my bike (been riding bmx and my single speed for years and years now). Initially I was going to swap the 700c wheels from my single speed over, swap the cassette onto those and off I go. Still might down the road, but ran into some spacing issues with both the axle and the brake, and since I plan on doing this on a tight budget, it was cheaper for me to just throw new tires and tubes on the original wheels than to replace the brakes.

Here is my dilemma. When I completely disassembled the rear hub, had everything set out nicely on my work desk in the order they came off for easy reassembly. I usually take pictures but since I had it all set out, I didn’t think to do that. I didn’t plan on my dogs running into my desk and sending parts all over the floor. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures or the diagram of the rear hub so I make sure I get the order of all of the nuts and spacers on correctly.

I appreciate any help, not really looking forward to trying to get the spacing back to where it was, but hey, thats how you learn, then I get to learn about derailleurs and shifters and all sorts of other parts that are foreign to me.
Old 08-30-19, 12:29 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Chops717
Hey guys, first post here, stumbled across the forum while looking for some information on my new to me bike. Picked up a ‘77 S10-S the other day for a steal as a restoration/finally growing up a little and having gears on my bike (been riding bmx and my single speed for years and years now). Initially I was going to swap the 700c wheels from my single speed over, swap the cassette onto those and off I go. Still might down the road, but ran into some spacing issues with both the axle and the brake, and since I plan on doing this on a tight budget, it was cheaper for me to just throw new tires and tubes on the original wheels than to replace the brakes.

Here is my dilemma. When I completely disassembled the rear hub, had everything set out nicely on my work desk in the order they came off for easy reassembly. I usually take pictures but since I had it all set out, I didn’t think to do that. I didn’t plan on my dogs running into my desk and sending parts all over the floor. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures or the diagram of the rear hub so I make sure I get the order of all of the nuts and spacers on correctly.

I appreciate any help, not really looking forward to trying to get the spacing back to where it was, but hey, thats how you learn, then I get to learn about derailleurs and shifters and all sorts of other parts that are foreign to me.
Once you get above ten posts, you can upload pics, or you can upload them to your "gallery" and another member can help with a link. Post a pic of the current state so we can see what kind of hub it is and its parts. Also, search YouTube for "overhaul hub rj the bike guy" -- his videos are very well done (good video/audio, concise instructions) and cover a wide range of standard vintage bike repair.
Old 08-30-19, 12:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
You'll have a cone and locknut on each side. Measure them to ensure they're both the same lengh. If they are, it doesn't matter which cone and locknut goes on each side. If one is wider, it often goes on the drive side.

If you have a wide spacer, it almost always goes on the drive side.

Now you should just have a few washers left to place. So try to put one on the non drive side (between cone and locknut) and the rest on the drive side. You'll just have to try it to see if that works for the freewheel spacing.

Sequence of washers between cone and locknut doesn't matter. No washers go outside the locknut.

Use two stacks of cd jewel cases to check dish while you're at it. Sheldon can help ya here.
Old 08-31-19, 08:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Here you go,

Nice bike but you'll need to upload some pics

Nothing wrong with the 27 inch 120 mm alloy rear wheels that came stock on the Fuji. Panaracer, Schwalbe, Continental, and Michelin all make good 27 inch tires.
Old 08-31-19, 12:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
In the future just disassemble from the non drive side!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-31-19, 01:00 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Some other helpful sites Park tool, Sheldon Brown
its a cassette wheel
Old 09-01-19, 06:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
In the future just disassemble from the non drive side!
+1 this. And you only need to remove the hardware from one side of the axle. Leave the other side in place and there's no confusion when it comes to reassembly.
Old 09-01-19, 09:14 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
you only need to remove the hardware from one side of the axle. Leave the other side in place.
If it's the first time I've overhauled the hub, I like to clean/inspect everything and make sure nothing is seized. Moving opposing cones/locknuts independently also helps me adjust a hub.
Old 09-03-19, 05:30 PM
Chops717

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all of the help guys, was able to get it cleaned up, regreased and back together.

A cheap set of tires and tubes were able to get me out on a test ride today. I need to do some research into the derailleur setup and how to make adjustments, it didn’t always want to shift through all of the gears, and it seems like there is a lot of slack in the cable at times. Little steps. As soon as I’m able to I’ll post some pictures of it and the progress I’ve made since then.