Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 12:51 PM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, with the new regional sub-forums, it would be great to know where everyone in the region is located.

I'll get it started.

I live near Elgin, about 40 miles NW of Chicago. Usually ride around the farm roads of the ever-developing Kane County. Tons of club 'charity' rides start around here in the summer.

Check in everyone!

Last edited by CyLowe97; 06-01-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 03:21 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude you know Where I live..... OK not everyone does so here it is Cross Plains, Wisconsin just west of Madison with lots of hills for road and trail.
Old 08-23-06, 06:07 PM
Thomill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Zion, Illinois. I ride anywhere between North Chicago, IL, and Racine, WI, but my usual route is a 40 mile loop centered around Pleasant Prarie. I often hang out at Crank Daddy's in Milwaukee and use their indoor training set-up, too. I ride year round, day or night, seven days a week. I usually ride solo as my work schedule is about as irregular as can be, but am always looking for partners or group rides as well.

Take care,
T
RUN
Old 08-23-06, 06:51 PM
Kimbercop

Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Elgin IL. I commute to work 2-3 days a week and try to get 1-2 more rides in per week, but have been failing miserably of late. My biggest ride to date is a 50 mile leg of the Udder Century earlier this year. Unfortunately, my rotating work schedule has prohibited me from joining the BFNIC on any other rides lately, but I hope to catch back up after October 9th when I change shifts again.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 08-23-06, 07:04 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey, cool sub forum. I live in Plainfield, IL, but I ride where the BFNIC takes me. So far this year that has taken me to way up North to towns like Union and into Wisconsin, down through Flatsville (Joliet/Beecher), and across Indiana!! My normal rides take me 30 to 50 miles west of Rt 59 towards the likes of Plano and Oswego, Silver Springs State Park, Sandwich, and so on. If you are in my area lets ride. Later.
Old 08-23-06, 07:05 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I'm living in Toledo, OH for the moment. I do maybe 1/3 of my riding across the border in MI.

If anyone is ever in the area, let me know and I'll tell you some good routes that will keep you out of traffic. If you're looking for a hill, though, you're out of luck.
Old 08-23-06, 08:05 PM
Kenal0

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Lake Forest and ride solo most of the time. I ride up to the Wisconsin border and down into the north side of the city. I ride mostly along the lake for my longer rides. I have ridden with a few of the guys from here and hope to ride with more on Sunday. Definitely makes a ride go by much faster.
Kenal0
Old 08-23-06, 09:06 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dekalb Illinois, home of Cornfest,...https://cornfest.com/..... come on out this Sunday and see Survivor for free ( I hear they might actually have a few of the original members!)
Old 08-24-06, 05:03 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
River Forest IL here - 10 miles due west of downtown Chicago. I average about 4K/yr mostly commuting and group rides. I saw this happening yesterday - it's very close to me. It was fun to watch - like a big erector set.

--------------------
New bridge to connect CTA Blue Line and Prairie Path
--------------------

By Victoria Pierce
Special to the Tribune

August 23, 2006, 7:57 PM CDT

Two cranes carefully lifted separate spans of a pedestrian bridge into place over the Des Plaines River Wednesday, speeding the day when thousands of bicyclists, lawyers and residents of the western suburbs will be closer to their destinations.

The bridge, which is expected to open in the fall, will link the Illinois Prairie Path with the CTA's Blue Line.

Cyclists will be able to take the Blue Line to the last stop in Forest Park where they can pedal as far as Elgin or Aurora. Likewise, west suburban bicyclists will be able to tour the lakefront without using their cars to get downtown.

And for many employees and patrons of the Maybrook courthouse {lt}add2{gt}{gt}in Maywood, the bridge will provide a short walk from the "L" line to the courthouse on the west bank of the Des Plaines River in Maywood.

"A lot of people take the train to get to the courthouse. They'd either have to hop on a bus or take a long walk around. That's a huge convenience factor," said Maywood Village Manager Robert Nelis.

Although crews from K&K Ironworks in Chicago deftly maneuvered the sections into place and bolted them together Wednesday, the 190-foot bridge won't be open until a path leading to the iron structure is built and several security measures are completed, said Forest Park Village Manager Michael Sturino. An Illinois Department of Transportation spokesman said the bridge likely will be opened in late October.

Among the safety measures will be lighting and emergency call boxes. The bridge also will be able to accommodate a patrol car if an emergency arises.

"There's a full-blown Sheriff's Department right by the courthouse," Sturino said.

The villages of Forest Park and Maywood are already envisioning the possibilities the bridge will bring to their communities.

Forest Park is looking to attract recreational cyclists to the village's main stretch of shops and restaurants on Madison Street, Sturino said, noting that bicyclists like to explore new areas.

"We're really excited about it," he said.

Nelis said Maywood sees the potentialfor easy access to downtown Chicago. And the village has long hoped toredevelop the 30-acre ComEd facility between 1st Avenue and the courthouse into a shopping district. Access to transportation and proximity to the Prairie Path will be important factors for economic redevelopment, he said.

Fans of the Illinois Prairie Path are also happy the final link will be in place -- after many years of discussion.

"The No. 1 question I'm asked in Oak Park is how do we get to the Prairie Path?" said Paul Aeschleman of Oak Park, a board member of the not-for-profit Illinois Prairie Path organization that cares for the trail.

The route to the path from the Oak Park, Forest Park and River Forest areas is now a convoluted combination of side streets. With the bridge connecting the two sides of what was once a railroad right of way, that route will be much easier to pick up, Aeschleman said.

"It will certainly improve usage," he added.

Aeschleman said he has met over the years with local officials in Forest Park and Maywood about getting a bridge. He credited state Rep. Karen Yarbrough (D-Maywood) with finally securing the $540,000 needed for the project.

The Illinois Department of Transportation is building the bridge, although the project required an intergovernmental agreement between Maywood, Forest Park, Cook County, the CTA and the state.
Old 08-24-06, 05:26 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Lafayette, Indiana here, about 2 hrs from the Windy!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-24-06, 05:59 AM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just outside of Dayton, Ohio.

A lot of folks from Illinois I see. I spent some of my formative years in Bolingbrook, up in Will county. That's where I learned to ride like Evel Kneivel on my 5 speed Stingray (about 35 years ago).
Old 08-24-06, 08:02 AM
bike4life

Bikes: '05 Lemond Sarthe - Yes! the orange one!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Milwaukee, a great place on a great lake - oops! that's not our slogan anymore!
Milwaukee, land of beer, brats, da Brewers (only 4 games outta the wildcard slot!) and cheese!
Old 08-24-06, 08:47 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bike4life
Milwaukee, a great place on a great lake - oops! that's not our slogan anymore!
Milwaukee, land of beer, brats, da Brewers (only 4 games outta the wildcard slot!) and cheese!
Voted by Forbes mag as the 'drunkenest city in America'....That ain't water in our water bottles!
Old 08-24-06, 09:40 AM
Havs
five for fighting

Bikes: 2008 Trek TT E7, 2006 Giant TCR C2, 2005 Trek 1500, 1990ish Trek 850 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Caledonia, about a mile from Wind Point lighthouse. Im usually out riding the flat (for the most part, with some rollers) roads of western Racine Co, usually 30-50 mile loops out to the Wind Lake area...
Old 08-24-06, 12:15 PM
ovrthehill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naperville, Illinois

I live about 30 miles west of Chicago in Naperville, Illinois. Most of my rides this year has been out the door onto the Pairie Path which heads west to the Fox River and up past Elgin, Illinois or south to Aurora, Illinois. Also just started to ride on the roads with the local bike group.
Old 08-24-06, 12:32 PM
Michigander
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oakland County
Old 08-24-06, 02:14 PM
meldex
JAFC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammond Indiana, just south east of Chicago.
Old 08-24-06, 04:31 PM
trashman

Bikes: older trek mtn bike and a old peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Jefferson WI. 1/2 way between Madison and Milwaukee.

Ride often , Ride safe

Trash man.
Old 08-24-06, 04:34 PM
PatrickMcCabe

Bikes: Cannondale F300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chicago here.... My commute in the AM is 12 miles straight down grace to the lake front path,
home is 8.5 down Elston ave (too many people on the lake after work go figure)
Old 08-24-06, 05:36 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
South of Cleveland, Ohio
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-24-06, 05:48 PM
Cheezerod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down river Michigan
Old 08-24-06, 08:12 PM
Moose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smack dab between Wooster and Massillon
Old 08-24-06, 08:23 PM
voldemort
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
St. Charles, Il here. Southern part of beauteous Kane County. I've ridden some of those farm roads, and done a few of those organized rides in that area. I ride the Fox River trail a lot (5 minutes from my house). Without a map, I get lost on those roads in your area, but its some nice riding. Do you do much weekend riding?
Old 08-25-06, 07:46 AM
octaneTom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Royal Oak — a suburb 10 miles north of Detroit. The roads around here blow for the most part.

For 6 years I lived in Oak Park, IL and commuted to a job up in West Dundee. I wish I was riding then—all around West Dundee/Barrington/Elgin and up to NIU seems like it would have been great for riding.
Old 08-25-06, 08:10 AM
mudskipper99

Bikes: 2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, about 25-30 miles West of Detroit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.