Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench recommendation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 07:51 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts

I'm looking at investing in a torque wrench as I do more and more of my own repairs. Something on the low end of the range... 2-14nm or so. I'm tempted to go for the Park Tool TW-5.2 since it's a more trusted brand but there are a bunch of cheaper options on Amazon (for example, TEKTON). Anyone have any experience with the more affordable options (e.g. those in the $50 range)?
Old 05-02-20, 08:29 PM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Just get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. $12/piece. They're accurate enough.
If you need a smaller hex one, then I have a Wheeler Firearms torque wrench that is frequently on sale in the $30-40 range.
Old 05-02-20, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
If you are looking for decent budget, Park Tool is fine. I wouldn't want cheap tools especially when it comes to accurate measurements like that. Me personally I got a Effetto Mariposa Guistaforza II anniversary torque wrench from my company for completing some training and it has served me quite well and is a nice tool in the hand. However after getting to use one of the new Snap-On Digital Torque Wrench I kind of want one of those and by kind of want I mean AOOOGAAAAAH HUMMUNAH HUMMUNAH HUMMANAH and then my head turns into a steam whistle.

If you are looking for something for stems and seatpost bolts and small stuff like that the Park Tool ATD-1.2 Adjustable Torque Driver is excellent and one I have in my collection (though the older version) and I use it often.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-02-20, 11:59 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I have this one from Shimano PRO. It's 1/4" drive, 3-15Nm, easy to read and use.

($88 on sale) https://www.coloradocyclist.com/pro-...All%20Products
Old 05-03-20, 10:50 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Can I ask, are those wrenches you talk about the 'click' kinds? I've seen on YT videos on bike servicing those with long 'needle marker', no idea what those are called.

It seems there are these two different kinds. Is my assumption right that the 'click kind' wrenches are less precise but sufficient for bike jobs? Those with needle seem like professional tool, probably quite expensive and maybe overblown for our purpose here?

Or perhaps the click kinds are made only for lower torques? I am looking on eBay at a 1/2" Drive Click Torque Wrench Set (10-150 ft.-lb./13.6-203.5Nm), costs just under $30.
I already have a small wrench of the click kind 1/4" 2.6-22 Nm but never yet used it since my bikes up to now didn't need such luxury of precise torque. I think I also paid something like $30 for that one last year.

Last edited by vane171; 05-03-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-03-20, 11:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
The click kind can be as precise as you want to pay for. The problem with buying any torque wrench is that you can't buy just one. I have a couple good ones that cover the ranges I use more often.... well used to use, I don't do as much anymore. And I have some cheap Harbor Freight torque wrenches for the torque ranges I seldom use. They work, I've no doubt they are close enough for the purpose I use them for. The bad thing I noticed with them is the "click" you feel is not as pronounced as with my other torque wrenches. And it varies with what part of the range they are in at that time. There have been times where the click or break was very hard to notice.
Old 05-03-20, 11:19 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanks, I believe I am a fair mechanic but this is one area that has so far eluded me. Now I bought bike not exactly latest tech but it is still a whole different league from my old bikes - Trek Equinox TTX. The technology on it I only admired from afar before that.

Actually after posting I went to those links above and on that one from OP (Tekton) I liked the video on use of the wrench and the second link reminded me I also need to get those M-Allen key sockets. Probably cheaper if you get them as a set with the wrench. It also sorted my query about the click and needle kind wrenches.

You're right, one needs at least two wrenches to cover bike torque ranges, that's why I am looking at buying the second bigger one for use on pedal cranks.

Edit: looking around, I found a digital readout adapter, of course Chinese made, "2-200Nm Digital Display Torque Wrench Adapter" for $40, which inserts in between your classic non-torque ratchet wrench and the socket. That may prove to do what they claim or not... wonder if anybody here has a hands on experience with such adapter.

Last edited by vane171; 05-03-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-03-20, 01:32 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If you're unsure about the validation of the HF torque wrenches, it's really easy to do at home. If it's out of spec, really easy to swap it out.

They're well validated.
Old 05-03-20, 05:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Just get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. $12/piece. They're accurate enough.
If you need a smaller hex one, then I have a Wheeler Firearms torque wrench that is frequently on sale in the $30-40 range.
No they aren't, especially for the lower torque values, and yes, I tried one. Buy a decent one.
Old 05-03-20, 05:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have two beam type torque wrenches and a couple of Ritchey torquekeys. My wrenches are a little Park one (their smaller beam) for light torques. The second one is larger, a Craftsman, for heavier torques like the cassette and the crank. I'd have to say, I use the torque key many, many times more often than either of the torque wrenches. WHen I got these, Park didn't make an inexpensive click type and I did't trust the cheap click types and didn't want to spend the money for a decent one.

The beam type work fine, never require calibration and are kind of idiot-proof. The only challenge, sometimes, is using them at an angle that makes the scale readable. Given that most higher torques are in a pretty broad range, the scales on the beam wrenches are plenty easy to read accurately enough.

The light torques are a bit more fussy to read on the scale, but no big deal. And, almost all of the light torques I do with the Torquekey. I use it frequently for torques that are just a bit higher than it's setting, understanding that torques on most fasteners and seatposts, etc. are maximum, not "exactly this".

Decent click type would be nice to have, but I'm not going to buy a new set of light and heavy torque wrenches just for that.
Old 05-03-20, 06:04 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I have the Park TW-5.2 and another wrench similar to the Tekton. I prefer the Park TW-5.2. I find the Park is less fiddly and more accurate.
Old 05-03-20, 07:01 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you are looking for decent budget, Park Tool is fine. I wouldn't want cheap tools especially when it comes to accurate measurements like that. Me personally I got a Effetto Mariposa Guistaforza II anniversary torque wrench from my company for completing some training and it has served me quite well and is a nice tool in the hand. However after getting to use one of the new Snap-On Digital Torque Wrench I kind of want one of those and by kind of want I mean AOOOGAAAAAH HUMMUNAH HUMMUNAH HUMMANAH and then my head turns into a steam whistle.

If you are looking for something for stems and seatpost bolts and small stuff like that the Park Tool ATD-1.2 Adjustable Torque Driver is excellent and one I have in my collection (though the older version) and I use it often.
Have the same Effetto Mariposa, it really does feel good in the hand and has a click you can't miss. Have a Park TW5 as well, while not quite as nice, will do.

Any recommendations of a 10-60 Nm range torque wrench, Anyone have a m Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II 10-60 Pro? I have a Park beam type but would like a click-type in that range (snap-on $$$$ a no-go).
Likes For GeneO:
Old 05-04-20, 12:55 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Have the same Effetto Mariposa, it really does feel good in the hand and has a click you can't miss. Have a Park TW5 as well, while not quite as nice, will do.

Any recommendations of a 10-60 Nm range torque wrench, Anyone have a m Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II 10-60 Pro? I have a Park beam type but would like a click-type in that range (snap-on $$$$ a no-go).
I too have the Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza II Anniversary Edition. I bought that on a big sale for bicycle, fishing reel, and gunsmithing work, especially when working with softer aluminum alloys. I have a Craftsman and a Snap-On higher range for automotive use.
Old 05-04-20, 10:31 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
I have one of these, which works for a lot on the bike, stem, handlebars, brakes, seat clamp, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the rest I have various click type torque wrenches, and a beam wrench. I have found the torque wrenches from Kobalt are nice, and have them for different torque ranges. They can be found at Lowes.
Old 05-04-20, 01:04 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The beam type is not expensive and accurate...https://www.homedepot.com/p/Presa-1-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You will also need a 3/8" drive for higher torque readings.
Old 05-04-20, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO

I haven't gotten a big torque wrench as I currently don't really need one. For any monster jobs I take it to work. However I have used the Pedros Grande and it wasn't bad in the hand. If I needed something big I would probably go for that if I was looking to save a bit.

Snap On is mucho dinero but wowza is it awesome. We got the bigger one for hitch installs and e-bikes and things like that and it is the dream.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-04-20, 09:27 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I have gotten a lot of use out this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Bicycle...4-135149aa9081
Old 05-05-20, 10:24 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I haven't gotten a big torque wrench as I currently don't really need one. For any monster jobs I take it to work. However I have used the Pedros Grande and it wasn't bad in the hand. If I needed something big I would probably go for that if I was looking to save a bit.

Snap On is mucho dinero but wowza is it awesome. We got the bigger one for hitch installs and e-bikes and things like that and it is the dream.
Thanks, will look at the Pedro's. I don't use a large torque wrench often.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 05-09-20, 07:28 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone! As it turns out, my parents (who owned a bike shop when I was growing up) kept a ton of their tools and never told me... so I've been blessed with a full range of torque wrenches and other fun stuff.