Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone use battery heated insoles or socks?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 11-03-14, 08:17 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been looking at some of the new generation of heated socks and insoles. There are several companies making products with rechargable lithium ion batteries that claim 6+ hours of warming to 85-98F. It is almost always my feet and fingers that limit ride time in below zero F weather. I can go 4+ hours with a couple of warm up stops just with insulated boots, socks and heavy snowmobile mittens, but I've had some really cold feet by the time I got home.

Anyone tried any of these? I'm concerned that the insoles would take an extra beating from the repeated pressure on the ball of the foot from pedaling. They tend to run $100 or more a set, so I don't want to invest in them if they won't take it during cycling.

BTW, I wouldn't buy these just for cycling, but my profession requires that I be outdoors in all kinds of weather extremes, so they might be useful for work as well. If they work for cycling that would be a plus.
Old 11-04-14, 09:50 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like what this guy says: https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cyc...l#post17251527

You'll also see a post from me in that thread about thermosoles.

I would be be willing to try the socks with the replaceable battery pack. My sense is that my cycling socks last longer than my "walking around" socks but I agree with your concern regarding length of service of these types of devices. Let's say they break after one season - is $100 a year worth it? For toasty warm feet I might pay that!
Old 11-05-14, 07:21 PM
bluegoatwoods

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm no authority and I've never tried heated insoles or socks. So you gotta take this with a grain of salt.

But the impression I get is that they either quit working in no time or they overheat your feet.

Now....I'm a lifelong cold weather wimp. My hands and, especially, my feet have always been the weak points. Seriously, they would numb to the point of uselessness pretty quickly.

Bar mitts have saved the day for my hands. I can ride below 0 deg F and be quite comfortable.

For my feet I've found that putting my foot into a plastic grocery sack and then putting on my sock over that works very well. It's true; the feet still sweat. But the sock stays dry. And that makes all the difference in the world.

Sorry. I'm kinda changing the subject, aren't I? But there's a purpose. Once I learned those tricks I found that I no longer needed to consider electric or chemical heating methods for my feet and hands.

And that's coming from someone who spent years pondering exactly those things.
Old 07-05-20, 05:39 PM
sjh953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I used these last winter here in California, at temps down to maybe low 30's:

ZLTFashion Electric Heated Socks

I liked them enough that I bought a second pair, both to have a second set of batteries, and also to have extra socks in case the wiring ever failed. So far, no issues.

In previous winters, I had to sometimes wear insulated hiking boots to keep my feet comfortable. With the electric socks, I can use solid "leather" New Balance shoes and toe clips and my feet are fine. In MN, you would likely have to wear heavier/warmer shoes, but I'm pretty sure the electric socks would take the edge off the cold vs. wearing multiple regular socks, even SmartWool.