Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specific Vintage Alan carbonio re-finishing issues.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 05:21 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

I want to ride it this weekend.
A) Will I harm it by riding without a real clear-coat over the tubes?(Understanding that it has almost no protection from nicks and scratches.)
B) What products can I use beyond alcohol, and warm soapy water to clean the "gunk" off the tubes to prep for clearing. Stuff is like a tarry paste that the only way any comes off at all, is scraping with a blade, or rubbing hard and fast,(thus warming it), with a dry paper towel. Problem is both these methods smear it around too. I can't get the surface clean, and am afraid of using something that will harm the bonding material.
3)These chips in the top layer of carbon are not serious as it is primarily cosmetic, correct? Pic #3
Thx.

The patch that looks like tar, on the seat tube, is probably a mix of clear-coat and the bonding material.

Rubbing hard, as it warms up, some comes off. The rest gets smeared around.