Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade of my Shimano RS-81 wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-28-20, 10:53 PM
vlad1xxi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi everybody, I have 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultegra bike with rim brakes, Shimano RS-81 wheels and Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x25mm tires. Want to upgrade wheels but I am afraid of clearance since now the distance between rear tire and chainstays is around 3mm (may be around 3.5mm but no more) on each side. My wheels have 15mm internal width and 20.8mm external width. So which wheel set would you recommend and what is max internal/external width Ok for my bike?

Last edited by vlad1xxi; 08-29-20 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 05:33 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Given your clearance is already minimal, I'd stick with the Shimanos.

Their narrow width is about the only thing that counts against them, and they're excellent in almost every other way except I guess the aesthetics of the hubs, the internals of which are peerless, IMO. The rims are pretty sweet too.

Although I suppose you'd just have room to run a 25 on a somewhat wider rim, by the sound of it... Not a whole lot of wiggle room though.

Here's a question - what do you weigh? If you're 70-75kg or less, you can probably go for broke minimising the clearance, particularly since a larger tyre on a wider rim is going to be less likely to go out of true, all else being equal.

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-29-20 at 05:38 AM.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-29-20, 05:48 AM
vlad1xxi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Given your clearance is already minimal, I'd stick with the Shimanos.

Their narrow width is about the only thing that counts against them, and they're excellent in almost every other way except I guess the aesthetics of the hubs, the internals of which are peerless, IMO. The rims are pretty sweet too.

Although I suppose you'd just have room to run a 25 on a somewhat wider rim, by the sound of it... Not a whole lot of wiggle room though.

Here's a question - what do you weigh? If you're 70-75kg or less, you can probably go for broke minimising the clearance, particularly since a larger tyre on a wider rim is going to be less likely to go out of true, all else being equal.
First of all thank you for your reply. My weight is around 80kg. I also thought about Shimano wheels or any other manufacturer old wheel set (new old stock). But they are not aero, besides that I have no any complaints.
Old 08-29-20, 07:16 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

How deep are the RS81s? I'm guessing they're the C25 version. You can get em deeper, you know. Up to 60mm, IIRC.

Again, if you're stuck with old-school width, these Shimano wheels with the carbon/ally rims are about as good as rim-braked clinchers get, IMO.

Something to consider is that aero rears aren't doing much aero in all that dirty air; something like 4/5 or more of the gain is from the front wheel. So you could just throw a Zipp or whatever on the front.

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-29-20 at 07:25 PM.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-29-20, 07:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Kimmo Good to see you back here. I was beginning to think the Covid got you.
Old 08-30-20, 03:56 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Kimmo Good to see you back here. I was beginning to think the Covid got you.
All good here, mate... Although Melbourne's in stage four lockdown, we're still doing pretty alright compared to a lot of places. The so-called 'economy' is getting smashed though...

​​​​​​​How about round your way? Things look pretty damn sketchy over there.
Old 08-30-20, 09:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
All good here, mate... Although Melbourne's in stage four lockdown, we're still doing pretty alright compared to a lot of places. The so-called 'economy' is getting smashed though...

How about round your way? Things look pretty damn sketchy over there.
It really depends on where you are. AZ isn't too bad right now https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php
Old 08-30-20, 08:06 PM
vlad1xxi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How deep are the RS81s? I'm guessing they're the C25 version. You can get em deeper, you know. Up to 60mm, IIRC.

Again, if you're stuck with old-school width, these Shimano wheels with the carbon/ally rims are about as good as rim-braked clinchers get, IMO.

Something to consider is that aero rears aren't doing much aero in all that dirty air; something like 4/5 or more of the gain is from the front wheel. So you could just throw a Zipp or whatever on the front.
You are right. I forgot to mention my Shimano wheels are C24. I am aware about C40 and C60 wheels and think about Shimano Dura Ace C40 wheelset as a very good and expensive replacement of my current wheels. But what do you think about Campy Eurus or DT Swiss wheels? I saw some DT Swiss with external width 22mm which should work for my bike as well.
Old 08-31-20, 04:27 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by vlad1xxi
You are right. I forgot to mention my Shimano wheels are C24. I am aware about C40 and C60 wheels and think about Shimano Dura Ace C40 wheelset as a very good and expensive replacement of my current wheels. But what do you think about Campy Eurus or DT Swiss wheels? I saw some DT Swiss with external width 22mm which should work for my bike as well.
Don’t go wider. Or at least not more than a couple millimeters. I upgraded wheels going from 14mm internal width to 19mm. A 25mm Conti 5000 now measures 27.6mm wide. Won’t fit the rear without rubbing on my old Madone 5.0. Gets taller too. Don’t have a measurement but only had a little bit of light on top under the fork. Less than 1mm.

I just put a new 23mm Conti 5000 tire on and it measure 25.0 mm wide after sitting for a couple of hours. Conti may have made adjustments.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 09-03-20 at 07:43 PM. Reason: New tire
Likes For biker128pedal: