Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter commuter tires in Chicago, Top Contact Winter or...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Which tire for Chicago winters?
Top Contact Winter
100.00%
Grand Prix 4 Season
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-20, 01:35 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

What tire would you want to commute on from October to May, the Continental Top Contact Winter or the Continental Four Season? Conditions are wet, slushy and salted most of the time.
Old 09-07-20, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Limited to just Chicago residents I assume.
Old 09-07-20, 03:54 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
neither. Nokian Hakepeliitta or one of the other Nokian combo (knobby/studded). Of course, size matters.
Old 09-07-20, 04:25 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Limited to just Chicago residents I assume.
Not limited, but urban cyclist from the snow belt might have a higher level of personal experience.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-07-20, 04:28 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
neither. Nokian Hakepeliitta or one of the other Nokian combo (knobby/studded). Of course, size matters.
The number of days annually that a studded tire is the best choice in Chicago are few, and the bike won't fit a big, knobby tire in any case.

I know from experience after using Schwalbe studded tires for a season. Rolling resistance on dry or wet pavement is twice that of a studless tire in most cases. I ran two sets of tires on two wheelsets just so I wasn't on studded tires unless ice and snow was prevalent.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-07-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-07-20, 05:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Toronto close to Lake Ontario..I prefer to have two bikes set up for winter riding, one has knobby CX tires and the other has studded tires...To answer OPs question, I would choose Conti Top Contact Winter.
Old 09-07-20, 05:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I use the winter contact tires for commuting in Des Moines. That works well most of the time. I agree with wolfchild , having a 2d bike set up with studded tires makes sense.
Old 09-07-20, 06:12 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by bikemig
I use the winter contact tires for commuting in Des Moines. That works well most of the time. I agree with wolfchild , having a 2d bike set up with studded tires makes sense.
How were the Top Contact Winters in terms of flat resistance? Any evidence of the Top Contact Winter being flat prone?
Old 09-08-20, 08:00 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Recommendation from northern Indiana, keep a spare wheel set with studded tires for icy days and run a tire with good tread the rest of the time, all the makers have one.
Old 09-08-20, 08:47 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
How were the Top Contact Winters in terms of flat resistance? Any evidence of the Top Contact Winter being flat prone?
Knock on wood, so far zero issues with flats. These are good quality tires.

But Des Moines streets have less crud on them than Chicago, right? If I were commuting in a larger city than the one I live in, I'd be sorely tempted to run tire liners as a precaution. Flats on the way to work are no fun.
Old 09-08-20, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Nokian Mount and Ground W 26x1.9" imported direct from Finland in 90 are still fine ,

although, climate change, for the last several years meant only got down to less than 0C
when there was no cloud cover so day's heat dissipated at sunset.. clear & dry, no ice on the street.
Old 09-08-20, 06:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been happy with both Nokian and Schwalbe studded tires in Madison WI. We haven't had a lot of snow in the last couple years, but enough to justify keeping the studs on.

For some reason, there are always a couple pairs of studded tires on the Craig, and they last a long time, so it's worth checking.

Outfitting a family of 4 with studded tires is not cheap.
Old 09-08-20, 06:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Top Contacts aren't going to be a lot of fun until winter, October and all but the worst of November, don't. End of March they come off.

I have them (as a fun luxury in Portland). I have ridden year 'round in Ann Arbor and Boston as a non car-owner so I know the deal. The Top Contacts are a very grippy tire with a lot of rolling resistance. Also expensive, I see no reason to work that hard and wear out that great tread pattern faster and for no benefit.

Ideally, I'd get a 2nd set of wheels (maybe a considerably lesser pair since they are going to see salt and road grit) and put the Top Contacts on those. Let them sit until the weather changes. Save your good wheels for those rare nice days and spring.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-09-20, 04:01 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Personally, I run Schwalbe G-One (allround). They do wonderful in the snow, great in wet and slush.

That said, if the ground is wet and frozen, studded tires are the only way I can prevent spraining my ankle. Those freeze/thaw cycles put ice in surprising places. If its a hard freeze, or above freezing the G-One is wonderful.

Never used the winter contact - although "studdless" car tires are impressive. The 4 season is just a modern version of the Gatorskin.
Old 09-09-20, 04:45 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Heh, I’ve got studded Hakkas on my car and love them. RWD coupe, even with empty trunk and tank it plows through anything less than four inches above the bumper with no issue.

That’s cool to read that Nokian make bike tires, and if 1) they’re close to as good as their car ones + 2) you’re a sit-down rider and your rig has a nice IGH and chaincase- they’re probably amazing for your riding style through the slidey months.

My climate here in upstate NY is darned close to the same as yours with regards to non-constant ice but I don’t know if you folks in Chi get any of the multi-density crusty slush or the snowblower-clogging wet snow we get.

If you folks are dealing with thicker slush, IME you ought to be posting not just brands/models, but bike+stuff+rider weight and tire width.

Maxed out ~180lbs I found 35c Kenda Klondikes just too horrible in only four inches of fresh heavy lake effect to make the studs worthwhile when I found some plowed streets. They’d climb up on top then fall through with every pedal stroke. In the really thick glop even a 28c is on the edge of too wide to have on the front for efficiently cutting through with my weight.

At the time I’d gotten the Kendas (2009-10) they were the slimmest studded tires I could get. I still have them with around 70 miles on them. I really tried to like them. Useless around here AFAIC.
Old 09-29-20, 09:02 PM
TsunamiJobu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used regular old 25mm gatorskins year-round in Chicago (15mi daily commute). Never had an issue beyond a couple of black ice surprises in non-salted alleys. As long as you know your commute and where the sketchy spots are, you’ll be fine. You’ll still crash, but it won’t be from the tires.
Old 10-04-20, 04:26 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Hello fellow Iowan. Des Moines resident here as well. Haven't commuted in the winter time yet but I plan on it this season with studded tires. What kind of bike do you use for the season?
Old 10-04-20, 06:50 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Hello fellow Iowan. Des Moines resident here as well. Haven't commuted in the winter time yet but I plan on it this season with studded tires. What kind of bike do you use for the season?
I've been running an old Bridgestone BB-1, which is a basic commuter bike from the early 90s. I like old MTBs for winter commuting; they're cheap (or they were cheap before Covid) and take fat tires and fenders. Winter sort of chews up bikes. I picked up a surly 1 x 1 which I'm going to turn into a winter bike. There's a lot to be said for a one speed in winter.

Old 10-05-20, 06:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
Have fun! Studded tires are slow, but super sure footed. I took mine out to a frozen lake to see how hard I could push them, and ended up pulling a w"heelie on a high torque start. I ended up making a private little rae circuit on that lake I was having so much fun on studded tires. Looks kinda funny on a strava heat map seeing all these laps on a lake on a bike. ;-)

I did laugh at this part "You’ll still crash, but it won’t be from the tires." I've got gatorskins - super hard and tough rubber that is the opposite of what I want in the winter. I do love Schwalbe G-One Alround, but if there is any ice, studs are the way to go.
Likes For chas58:
Old 10-05-20, 09:51 PM
TsunamiJobu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In 4 years I saw zero studded tire commuters.
Now... I wouldn’t ride if it was below 5 degrees (just too cold) so maybe that’s when all the studded tire pros came out.
Old 10-06-20, 07:07 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Have fun! Studded tires are slow, but super sure footed. I took mine out to a frozen lake to see how hard I could push them.
Frozen lake riding is great... especially if there's no snow and the ice is thick!

Nokian Extreme 294 front and rear... like riding on dry pavement!
Likes For sweeks: