Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Old 09-19-19, 03:48 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
For now, I’m car-lite, but not car-free yet. I will have completed four rides into work this week after tomorrow, but I drove on Wednesday because of two reasons: (1) I was physically exhausted since I’m not used to biking this much yet, and (2) it was pouring rain. I did get some rain gear, and have ridden in the rain, but for some reason I don’t have the endurance yet that I thought I had. I guess biking a couple of times a week for shorter distances does not mean you can instantly switch to 20+ miles a day, everyday. I hope to be biking all week soon. Biking to work is great once you are really familiar with the roads and your commute - then it feels very comfortable. As an added bonus, they just repaved one of the streets I use, so the road is VERY smooth!

Still, I consider this great progress. I love the cooler weather of fall, and I still enjoy biking in the winter. I’m just not sure how well plowed the roads on my commute will be, but I guess I’ll find out.
Old 09-20-19, 09:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Nice!

It took me many years to build up to daily bike commutes, it doesn't have to take years, but I didn't push it.
Old 11-30-19, 03:35 AM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've pretty much always used my bike; even when I had a car I'd often bike instead; haven't had car in over 15yrs.
Likes For alpharalpha:
Old 01-19-20, 05:24 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I am retired and happily car free.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 01-19-20, 08:04 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I am retired and happily car free.
Lucky duck! I am still many(?) years away and hating each time I feel necessary to drive. Today I had to dodge, within an hour, two BMW's. One never stopped coming, despite my screaming horn, and I had to swervingly dodge him and an oncoming road post.... I often feel safer on my bike....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-23-20, 09:24 PM
Steve06119

Bikes: Cannondale Quick + Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
I’m changing jobs again soon, and I’ll be working 10 miles from home. I’ve biked the distance many times in the past, and can commute to work in 40-45 minutes. However, I’ve never biked to work every day of the week, all year round. Winter here will be challenging, but I’ve ridden in the winter before. I’m thinking of making a commitment to myself to try biking 100% of the time to work to start my car-free living.

Have you ever made a commitment to yourself (or someone else) which caused you to become car free? If so, did you make it? If not, what caused you to fail?
I‘m 58 year old New Englander (CT), and I commute fairly frequently on my bike and would LOVE to one day get rid of my vehicles. No better way to get around, get healthy, save $ and have fun. My wife and son think I’m crazy! Steve

My 2010 Cannondale Quick
Likes For Steve06119:
Old 01-24-20, 08:37 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve06119
I‘m 58 year old New Englander (CT), and I commute fairly frequently on my bike and would LOVE to one day get rid of my vehicles. No better way to get around, get healthy, save $ and have fun. My wife and son think I’m crazy! Steve
Saw your post in the other commuting topic, and was glad someone referred you to this one. You’ll fit right in. Welcome and I share the same thoughts as you. And letting others think you are crazy is half the fun!
Likes For Alligator:
Old 01-24-20, 10:15 PM
Steve06119

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator
Saw your post in the other commuting topic, and was glad someone referred you to this one. You’ll fit right in. Welcome and I share the same thoughts as you. And letting others think you are crazy is half the fun!
Hi Alligator - Thanks so much for confirming I’m in the right place. I just find cycling as I get older is becoming more and more apart of my life. Ride On!
Old 01-25-20, 06:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't own a car but sometimes I'll get someone to drive me someplace if it's too far to get there by bicycle in the time I have. Does that make me no longer car-free?

If a person uses a taxi or an Uber does that mean they are no longer car free? After all in both cases they are making use of a car.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-03-20, 11:22 AM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
My wife and I are carless. We moved back and forth between Portland and London multiple times and just got tired of buying/selling cars. We were already biking just about everywhere but had one car for my commute to my job in the suburbs of Portland. My current job does not require a highway so we are fully carless. It's not difficult in Portland, at all. We can afford cars, but really dislike driving and would rather have the estimated $10k a year for something other than cars. We keep track of all of our bike expenses as well as the times when we have to use Lyft or rent a car for a weekend road trip. It's usually less than $1000 per year for the both of us, combined. Factor in our lack of need of a gym membership and the extra time we save by not sitting in traffic and it's a real no-brainer.
Likes For PDXCarless:
Old 02-03-20, 09:00 PM
Steve06119

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCarless
My wife and I are carless. We moved back and forth between Portland and London multiple times and just got tired of buying/selling cars. We were already biking just about everywhere but had one car for my commute to my job in the suburbs of Portland. My current job does not require a highway so we are fully carless. It's not difficult in Portland, at all. We can afford cars, but really dislike driving and would rather have the estimated $10k a year for something other than cars. We keep track of all of our bike expenses as well as the times when we have to use Lyft or rent a car for a weekend road trip. It's usually less than $1000 per year for the both of us, combined. Factor in our lack of need of a gym membership and the extra time we save by not sitting in traffic and it's a real no-brainer.
BRAVO! Congratulations - Steve
Old 04-04-20, 05:29 PM
julianface

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just moved to Edmonton, one of the most car dependent cities out there. Going to have a go at riding year round. It's been -15 here all week (YES in April!). I've never seen such scarce bicycle listings either.
Old 05-05-20, 10:43 AM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
i have been pondering this for a while, at least dropping down to 1 car for me and my family. I have a couple questions for the veterans,

- how do you get groceries to the house? do you just buy a little bit at a time?
- If you own a house, what about bringing larger items home? (im thinking home project type stuff)
- keeping your clothes decent for work, especially during bad weather or in the summer?
Old 05-05-20, 04:02 PM
PDXCarless

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx, Brompton, Specialized Crossroads

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeytusmc
i have been pondering this for a while, at least dropping down to 1 car for me and my family. I have a couple questions for the veterans,

- how do you get groceries to the house? do you just buy a little bit at a time?
- If you own a house, what about bringing larger items home? (im thinking home project type stuff)
- keeping your clothes decent for work, especially during bad weather or in the summer?
1) We get the bulk of our groceries through a delivery service (Imperfect Foods) but we lived for years without a car just getting what we needed a bit at a time on our bikes or walking. My wife and I use an app with a running grocery list that we share. One or both of us stop by a grocery store on the way home from work pretty frequently. The bonus to this method is you will be more efficient in that you will rarely buy too much of something so less will go bad in the fridge.

2) I have a Burley bike trailor rated for 100lbs or so. I've maxed that out with a tall stack of lumber, furniture, etc. You also can get items delivered for free over a certain price, at most places. Sometimes, we do short-term car rentals using Getaround but this is pretty rare. We have an elderly neighbor that we are constantly running errands for or helping her with some task. We'll borrow her Subaru occasionally, but this is also quite rare......I'm talking once a quarter to take the cats to the vet (this is where we draw the line, traumatizing our pets with a bike ride through a city on the way to their version of hell)

3) Clothes are easy for me. My office has a secured bike room and showers. I also have a belt-drive bike so grease wouldn't be the issue if I didn't have those facilities. It'd mostly be about sweat or inclement weather. My wife's office has no showers and she has a chain drive. She's a therapist and has to see people face to face all day. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her, but it's an easy 2.5 mile commute.

In the end, these will all feel like inconveniences until you get used to it. Once the fitness and financial benefits kick in none of it seems like a big deal. All issues are solvable.
Likes For PDXCarless:
Old 05-05-20, 08:21 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
1) We get the bulk of our groceries through a delivery service (Imperfect Foods) but we lived for years without a car just getting what we needed a bit at a time on our bikes or walking. My wife and I use an app with a running grocery list that we share. One or both of us stop by a grocery store on the way home from work pretty frequently. The bonus to this method is you will be more efficient in that you will rarely buy too much of something so less will go bad in the fridge.

2) I have a Burley bike trailor rated for 100lbs or so. I've maxed that out with a tall stack of lumber, furniture, etc. You also can get items delivered for free over a certain price, at most places. Sometimes, we do short-term car rentals using Getaround but this is pretty rare. We have an elderly neighbor that we are constantly running errands for or helping her with some task. We'll borrow her Subaru occasionally, but this is also quite rare......I'm talking once a quarter to take the cats to the vet (this is where we draw the line, traumatizing our pets with a bike ride through a city on the way to their version of hell)

3) Clothes are easy for me. My office has a secured bike room and showers. I also have a belt-drive bike so grease wouldn't be the issue if I didn't have those facilities. It'd mostly be about sweat or inclement weather. My wife's office has no showers and she has a chain drive. She's a therapist and has to see people face to face all day. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her, but it's an easy 2.5 mile commute.

In the end, these will all feel like inconveniences until you get used to it. Once the fitness and financial benefits kick in none of it seems like a big deal. All issues are solvable.
Are you sure the cats wouldn't enjoy the bike ride? What about taking them to some non vet destinations so they don't think of the bike trip as tumbrel ride to the guillotine?
Old 05-05-20, 09:18 PM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

That cat comment had me laughing. great advice, i appreciate your input.

Mike
Old 05-12-20, 03:44 PM
SB01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd love to be able to give up my car - given up flying for a few years now but the car seems impossible to get rid of where I live.
Old 05-12-20, 09:22 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
After seeing another increase in my car insurance (today), after not costing them a dime in over 10 years, asked wife about selling car. Short conversation turned "no" quickly. Even though we could be considered "car light" already.

Different when you share your world with another... but not willing to change that!
Old 05-13-20, 11:30 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I build cars for a living,haven't driven a car for 30 years......on the street.
Old 05-14-20, 12:39 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
i will always own a powered vehicle BUT over the last 3 years i have sold my motorcycle & drive less miles than i bike > with this COVID crisis hanging over everything my cars have been parked for almost 10 weeks ( i drive each once a week to just to maintain & treat the dog)
Old 05-15-20, 08:35 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I don't bother to get a driving license. I suppose I am committed.
Old 05-17-20, 04:39 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Love my Veloster which I use during the Winter months and to transport my bike (from/to) other Counties so I can try different trails within the State and it's good on gas. Can't go car-free in my household because my wife will always have her SUV but I have been driving less with the weather getting warmer and better. In fact, the current tank in my Veloster has lasted me three weeks so far and I have about 110 miles until empty.
Old 05-17-20, 04:56 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Went super car lite for a few years, and it worked pretty well where I was. Still used my van for some of the more obvious purposes.
Never had a thing against cars (philosophically, if I want folks to accept me and my choices, I reciprocate), but *do* have a problem with people who choose not to get along and play well with others... no matter what their mode of transport.
Old 05-26-20, 08:21 AM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't owned a car since 1993, nor a license since 1998. Guess you could say I'm committed.
Likes For SuperDave:
Old 05-26-20, 07:13 PM
PeugeotAndGo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some excellent, helpful (and not so helpful) comments in here.

I am working on the "commitment," aspect and taking it day by day. It was much easier when I lived in a dense metropolitan area!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.