Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

UPF50+ arm sleeves, experience?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-30-20, 02:56 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

What are your thoughts on UPF50+ arm sleeves? Experience?

Are they useful, do they work or make a real difference (effectiveness)? Arm sleeves vs. sun protection spray? How long do they offer protection? White or black?

Thin and cool enough? (which brand or product)
I mean, are summer sleeves only for early morning rides or can you wear them throughout the day? Maybe they’re too warm for that, dunno ...

Last edited by Bikewolf; 05-30-20 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 05:12 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I wear my white ones through the day but they are noticeably warm as the heat/humidity climbs. I switched from sun lotion to sleeves because my arms are noticeably ‘sun-worn’ and I don’t like the inconvenience of taking a small tube of lotion on long rides and reapplying throughout the day.

They definitely work. I didn’t apply lotion to the little bare spot between my gloves and sleeve ends the first day I wore them, and after the sleeves hiked up when I started the ride, those two little strips of skin got burned.

Bellweather brand.

Keith
Old 05-30-20, 06:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I wear white PI sunsleeves. Everyone is going to have different comfort levels, but I haven't found them uncomfortable, at speed, even on hot (for MN), humid days. If you're moving slowly and there's not much evaporative cooling, yeah, bare arms feel better, but then you're dealing with smearing sunscreen and having bugs stick in your arm hairs. And yes, they're effective - I'm not a glove wearer and the backs of my hands are darker than my arms in the summer, even with sunscreen on them.

Also, I don't wear the sleeves for early morning/evening rides - if I'm not going to be in high-angle sunshine, I'm not wearing them.
Old 05-30-20, 06:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what gets recommended. However, I'd typically prefer to find or be made aware of summer lightweight jersey brands that have a decent UPF rating (30+). Removable sleeves generally means the benefit is you can remove them... meaning you need to pack suntan lotion and lather up, or alternatively apply it anyway under the sleeves. I prefer just to ride and keep the sleeves on.

My favorite summer LS jersey (ok to the mid 80s anyway) with longsleeves is this Capo.. Anyone know of stuff like this being made any more?

https://www.amazon.com/Capo-Blockhau...ot_top?ie=UTF8
Old 05-30-20, 06:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Removable sleeves generally means the benefit is you can remove them... meaning you need to pack suntan lotion and lather up, or alternatively apply it anyway under the sleeves. I prefer just to ride and keep the sleeves on.
For me, the benefit is versatility - I can wear them with any of the SS jerseys that I own or will own. I still prefer SS jerseys because I ride at times when the sleeves/UPF isn't wanted/needed.

And I would never take them off mid-ride to apply sunscreen, though I might take them off when the sun gets low or pack them in a jersey pocket for a morning ride and put them on when the sun's getting high.
Old 05-30-20, 07:09 AM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I'll endorse the Pearl Izumi sleeves as well. I feel like I always run hot, but I have no problem wearing them at 2pm on all but the hottest of days. Much more comfortable than sunscreen, though I still lather up my hands for the reasons listed above.

Last edited by Greiselman; 05-30-20 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 07:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For me, the benefit is versatility - I can wear them with any of the SS jerseys that I own or will own. I still prefer SS jerseys because I ride at times when the sleeves/UPF isn't wanted/needed.

And I would never take them off mid-ride to apply sunscreen, though I might take them off when the sun gets low or pack them in a jersey pocket for a morning ride and put them on when the sun's getting high.
I'll have to give the sunsleeves a try. What would be neat though, since I also wear a mesh base even in summer, is if some enterprising company (Craft?) could marry a mesh chest area to a spf rated sleeve as a one-piece.
Old 05-30-20, 07:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
When I need sun protection I wear a silk weight base layer. Looks good, helps with evaporative cooling, probably more slippery than skin, and again, looks good.
Old 05-30-20, 08:31 AM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
AEGEND sleeves inexpensive, $10 for a pair of two (four total pieces), claimed UPF 50 (probably). You can play their game and do a review on Amazon then get another set. I bought white, it gets a little dingy after a few wears and washes but not a big deal. All that road dust. They're almost unnaturally white out of the box. Multiple colors. I dislike sunscreen so covering up appeals and this fits the bill.
Old 05-30-20, 08:39 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I have used them on every road ride since about 2014, including in very hot weather. I just get tired of putting sunscreen on every exposed inch of my body, but I need the protection because my dad had melanoma. I don’t really find them uncomfortable at all. In many ways they are more comfortable than bare arms covered in sunscreen. One trick I’ve used in really hot weather is to cover the sleeves in water when it gets hot. You can get some nice evaporative cooling for a little while. If it’s really hot and dry out, the effect won’t last long, but on warms days it’s very pleasant.

I have both TYR and Specialized sleeves. I prefer the TYR. The protection seems to be more or less 100% even for very long rides. I would absolutely get white and not black.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-30-20, 08:41 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
When I need sun protection I wear a silk weight base layer. Looks good, helps with evaporative cooling, probably more slippery than skin, and again, looks good.
What do you use, out or curiosity?
Old 05-30-20, 11:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cybirr
AEGEND sleeves inexpensive, $10 for a pair of two (four total pieces), claimed UPF 50 (probably). You can play their game and do a review on Amazon then get another set. I bought white, it gets a little dingy after a few wears and washes but not a big deal. All that road dust. They're almost unnaturally white out of the box. Multiple colors. I dislike sunscreen so covering up appeals and this fits the bill.

Yup- these. Just tore some off my arms an hour ago.
I've used sun sleeves from PI, REI, Garneau, and some other brand I don't remember. All were 2-3x more expensive and didnt last any longer.
They all get dirty from road dust, especially if you ride gravel.

The Agend sleeves stay put and (seem to)block sun.
I hate sunscreen, it slides off me regardless of how early I apply or how frequently I apply. I just need a sunsleeve body condom.
Old 05-30-20, 12:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you normally average 16 mph or better, I'd think you'd like sun sleeves. Irregardless of the SPF rating.

If you normally average 12 mph or less, you'll probably hate them.

If you average in between 12 and 16 mph, then it's a toss up whether or not you will like them.

I've started rinsing mine with water and squeezing them out just before my ride, and for the next 15 or so minutes, it's like my arms are in a refrigerator when I'm at a decent speed. We've been mid 80's lately. Do the same with the sweat vac under my helmet.

If you stop for a long period of time then consider pulling them down so you don't overheat. When they are sweat soaked and there is no air moving, they seem to hold the heat a little more.
Old 05-30-20, 02:43 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for all feedback thus far. Great tips too. Now I’m wondering if I could incorporate cold packs ;-)
Old 05-30-20, 11:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
What do you use, out or curiosity?
These guys are expensive, so I wait for them to go on sale. I've got a ten year old base layer I still hike in, they do a great job, and they took good, so it helps justify the price.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...-neck-shirt-ls

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...-neck-shirt-ls

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/velox-shirt-ls

That's from least to most breathable, the top is my favorite, bottom for very hot, middle for cold (I use one as a ski base layer).
Old 05-31-20, 08:21 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Being a pasty white guy that isn't fond of slathering-on sun screen, I experimented with Columbia arm sleeves that used "Omni-Freeze" technology. I was skeptical of the proposed claims that this fabric actually made you cooler than if you didn't wear it. However, I think it actually works pretty well. Once I start sweating, I can actually feel a bit of cooling as the moisture is evaporated off the sleeves. Unfortunately, the current version of the sleeves only seem to be available in a goofy blue color instead of solid white like I have. Perhaps one could still find normal colors online somewhere from old stock...

https://www.columbia.com/freezer-zer...es-SU9090.html

It looks like their "Deflector" arm sleeves are their latest invention which I have not tried.
Old 06-01-20, 05:37 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I've used the same exact sleeves and they work remarkably well. I originally got them for golf in the summer instead of having to slather up with sunscreen as much. These work great if you can find them. My only issue is that the tend to roll down on the upper arm if you're quite active.
Old 06-02-20, 08:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
I've used the same exact sleeves and they work remarkably well. I originally got them for golf in the summer instead of having to slather up with sunscreen as much. These work great if you can find them. My only issue is that the tend to roll down on the upper arm if you're quite active.
Of the many mentioned in this thread, which "same exact" sleeves did you get?
Old 06-02-20, 08:36 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Of the many mentioned in this thread, which "same exact" sleeves did you get?
​​​​Columbia Omnifreeze sleeves. I found them at a Columbia store by chance a few years ago.