Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Cuomo Bridge path to open 6/15 ?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 02:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts

BikeTarytown seemingly has inside knowledge that the Tappan Zee bridge - AKA the Mario Cuomo, bike path it slated to open tomorrow 6/15

https://biketarrytown.org/tappan-zee-bridge/

Reported here as well.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/rive...public/789348/

Unfortunately, not much thought was given as to how you get onto the path on the Tarrytown side, as there’s no MUT’s of any kind and the road option is Rt 9, which is 2 lanes of 40-50 mph traffic with no shoulders as well as the adjacent entrance ramp for cars going westbound on the bridge. Gonna be fun !

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-14-20 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 08:47 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Interesting, thank you for update.
Old 06-15-20, 12:54 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Unfortunately, not much thought was given as to how you get onto the path on the Tarrytown side, as there’s no MUT’s of any kind and the road option is Rt 9, which is 2 lanes of 40-50 mph traffic with no shoulders as well as the adjacent entrance ramp for cars going westbound on the bridge. Gonna be fun !
I wrote a reply to this thinking you were talking about the Nyack side and then tossing in a question on the east side in closing. But now I realize you are talking about the east. Did they ever overcome opposition in Nyack and build anything in the way of parking or connectivity there?

I wonder what degree of usage will be connectivity vs. experience of the bridge itself ala Walkway.
Old 06-15-20, 02:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by UniChris
I wrote a reply to this thinking you were talking about the Nyack side and then tossing in a question on the east side in closing. But now I realize you are talking about the east. Did they ever overcome opposition in Nyack and build anything in the way of parking or connectivity there?

I wonder what degree of usage will be connectivity vs. experience of the bridge itself ala Walkway.
I’m hoping to do a southern OCA ride as well as the TZ sometime this week, will follow up here with my experience.
Old 06-15-20, 05:47 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I'll add that to my list of new bridges to cross when I get to them. Goethals, Bayonne, TZ, Walkway, SR520 (Seattle). I'll keep breathing while waiting for the Verrazano, Whitestone or Throgs Neck. I'm planning on a trip to Staten Island to do both the Bayonne and Goethals in one shot.
Old 06-16-20, 09:44 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’m hoping to do a southern OCA ride as well as the TZ sometime this week, will follow up here with my experience.
Those are both on my bucket, er, Garmin list. Looking forward to reports.
Old 06-21-20, 01:31 PM
Yonah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've done it twice in the last week.

Last Tuesday at 6pm - it was a madhouse, wall to wall people. In nearly had several collisions - understand the bike lane is pretty narrow - it's about 6 feet wide and used for traffic IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, so it's hard to pass people - you usually need to slip into the walking lane to pass, which can be dangerous, as walkers are usually too busy taking selfies.

This morning at 8am. Still crowded, but much less so, and a lot more bikers. There were plenty of biking groups (I was solo), and I a mix of speeds (including several parents with trailers, kids, etc.)

The views are beautiful. It's about 3.6 miles each way.

I think next week, I might try to go at 7am. I also think that between NY just opening up after corona, and the whole newness of the bridge path it will continue to be crowded for at least a few more weeks, and then hopefully taper off a bit.
Old 06-22-20, 06:44 AM
Mastrofrancesco

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for the info.
Looking forward to checking out the Cuomo bridge and did not know about the Goethals or the Bayonne bridge having a bike lane.
Old 06-23-20, 12:36 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I rode it a couple of days ago, very nice. Love fresh pavement! But a few signs tell pedestrians to stay out of bike lane would not hurt. I rang my bell like a mad man and some of them looked at me like i was crazy!
Old 06-23-20, 12:59 PM
Yonah

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
I rode it a couple of days ago, very nice. Love fresh pavement! But a few signs tell pedestrians to stay out of bike lane would not hurt. I rang my bell like a mad man and some of them looked at me like i was crazy!
What day/time of day did you go? I am really hoping the crowds die down, because I can see this being a problem if the crowds are continually as big as they are now. I was talking to one of the State Troopers and he thought it was too narrow to accomodate bikers and pedestrians at the same time - and he thought that they should have different hours for bikers and runners/walkers, and then use each lane for traffic in one direction.
Old 06-23-20, 09:37 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It was Friday mid-day. hopefully the novelty will wear down.
And it not the widest but enough room if people followed a few simple rules and cared about the next person. (I know that second part is asking a lot)
Old 06-25-20, 08:36 AM
zacster

How is it they built a new bridge but didn't leave enough room for cyclists and pedestrians? Next thing you know there will be signs up telling us to dismount and walk.
Old 06-25-20, 11:55 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by zacster
How is it they built a new bridge but didn't leave enough room for cyclists and pedestrians? Next thing you know there will be signs up telling us to dismount and walk.

My thought as well, but will reserve judgement till I’ve ridden it.

As thought, any touristee type walkway/bike way like this is going to see many walkers just aimlessly wandering. Brooklyn Bridge, Walkway Over the Hudson come to mind. Walkway has room for 2 dedicated pedestrian lanes alongside 2 dedicated cycling lanes, but you know you’re going to get walkers, baby carriages, runners, dogs on extended leashes, children on bikes salmoning all over the place. It’s just the nature of the location and sightseeing getting done.
Old 06-25-20, 08:00 PM
zacster

On the Golden Gate bridge you don't have that problem, why is this always the case in NY? The GG is as popular as a tourist spot as any bridge here, maybe even more so.
Old 06-25-20, 08:11 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by zacster
On the Golden Gate bridge you don't have that problem, why is this always the case in NY? The GG is as popular as a tourist spot as any bridge here, maybe even more so.
I think it used to be a problem on the GG, but since there are walkways on both sides they were able to separate walkers from bikes at certain times, which helps somewhat.
Old 09-07-20, 06:44 PM
zacster

Time to start riding the bridges again. I did the Bayonne bridge on a very hot day and was planning on going to Goethals too that day but turned around on the Bayonne due to the heat. I had parked at Liberty State Park and realized it would be way too long a ride in that heat. As it was I was melting by the time I'd gotten back to my car, I was out of water, and the AC in the car had quit that day. I'm 65 and don't want to overdo it in the heat.

If I do the TZ, I'll probably drive up to the GWB, cross it on bike and do a loop back. There is no point in riding all the NYC miles for me anymore, I've done them for way too long. It is 18 miles to the bridge from my house.